Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Post Designing and installing a desk in the bedroom.

Sorry for the lengthy intro... hopefully it will provide you with a break from what ever you were working on, or better yet, a solution to a problem that you might have.

Well, after many years of dreaming of being "free" to work from anywhere I can get a decent internet connection, I finally landed "the job" that will allow us to travel! For the curious, I am a systems engineer (specializing in Citrix) for a major computer company (based in Texas).

We live in north central Texas (DFW area) and my corporate office is in Boston, MA. So, I am what's referred to as a "remote employee". Other than demonstrating that I appear to know what I'm doing, I have to pretty much meet two things.

1 - Have a decent internet connection, so I can be signed in M-F, 8-5 and be on call for a week, once every 7 weeks.

2 - I am expected to have a "work space" that isolates me from other people or a main living area (where TV's or people can be a distraction).

At home (sticks and bricks), I have a nice, dedicated "office".
Our previous RV (2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS) really couldn't fulfill the #2 requirement. So... what better excuse to trade it in and get a new (bigger) RV??

But our RV requirements also factor in.
  • 4 seasons (and full time) rated
  • 4 door fridge
  • full size couch
  • double recliners, across from big TV
  • fireplace
  • lots and lots of counter space
  • lots of cabinets and drawers
  • full size microwave
  • dual air conditioners
  • lots of basement storage
  • big shower
  • king bed
  • large closet

Well, you can see where this is going. Time for a new 5er! And fortunately we happen to have a good solid 2007 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 DRW Supercab 6.0L (with a B&W setup) tow rig. (I like to think of it as foresight).

So we traded in the TT for a new 2014 Columbus 365RL. Did a lot of looking, but we felt that it was the best fit for us in terms of functionality, looks, quality and price.

Just one minor problem. See job requirement #2, above, and that is what this post is about. Designing and installing a desk in the bedroom. AND... it must be large enough for dual monitors (or a my laptop and an extra monitor).

More in my next post, including the obligatory pics.
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

I have a surveyor sp 295 and removed the bunks on one side in the bunkhouse and installed a built in desk. Plenty of room for two monitors.
Prof Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Right, and if we had a BH model, that would have been our plan as well. Since we don't, he "plan" will be to build a removable desk that has folding legs on the left side and hanging brackets on the other side. It will be 20" deep x 32" wide x 28" tall. The finish will be matched as closely as I can to the dresser.

Operation:
  • It can be easily lifted up, out of the brackets, the legs folded in and then stored in the closet, when not in use.
  • The second monitor (22" wide screen LCD) can be set on the dresser when not on the desk.
  • The laptop can be closed and stored in the opening in the front of the dresser when not on the desk.
  • The chair can be turned around, back to the window, or placed elsewhere in the trailer, when not in use.

This is a (very) basic sketch of the desk:

Here is the location of where the desk will mount:

This is our test dummy, demonstrating sitting at a template of the desk:

Next post.... The materials list and the project begins!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Always Learning

Before you do that- I use a folding TV tray in the bedroom very similarly. Less materials and it already folds up. :-)

I start at our dinette table until the wife and kids wake up and then commandeer the bedroom as my office. The only problem is the A/C is loud, so I have to turn it off for calls and it gets toasty up there with the door shut.

Works well for me.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Thanks for the feedback, ependydad. It is appreciated!

Actually, just as a test, I did use one of our TV trays during our "shakedown" run, last weekend. I worked 2 days that way. Like you said, I worked from the dining table until the DW got up, then I move to the bedroom. When grandkids came to visit and the TV was on in the living room, it wasn't a bother at all.

Unfortunately, the TV tray just wasn't large enough (for double monitor setup), and the legs were in the way of my feet. Admittedly, the desk I'll build won't be as large as the one in my home office, but it will be much larger, have more leg room and more stable than our TV trays and take up about the same storage space.

Fortunately, because we have dual A/C's on the same duct system, the front doesn't need to be on. The rear will carry it fine on all but the very hottest days. And the window view is really nice and shaded by the awning. Interestingly, I've heard other front A/C systems and most were significantly louder than the one in this coach. I tested it using my noise canceling BT headset, and it was fine.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Always Learning

We have a TV that sets on the dresser that is in the same approximate spot- I used that as a crappy second monitor. It was good enough to have email on and the occasional reference document on it. I just hooked It up with a HDMI cable. Not great, but passable. Web programmer, here.

My A/C is also ducted, but we get very little airflow.

You're sure right about the view! It's torturous, actually!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

OK, I'm not the fastest guy with projects, but I don't give up either.

So, I found the wood for the top and the legs. I've never built a desk before, so I sure won't pretend to be an expert wood craftsman. But... here goes nothing...

MATERIALS (so far)
  • Sea-Dog 221320-1 Stainless Steel Table Brackets 4-Pack
  • 3/4 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Sandeply Hardwood Plywood (Sande is a South American hardwood with supposedly good characteristics. I wanted Maple, but they didn't have it at my local HD or L's)
  • 2ea 1 in. x 2 in. x 8 ft. (finished) Oak board (looked good, similar to the Sande as far as the grain)
  • #8 x 2 in. wood screws
  • #6 x 5/8 in. wood screws
  • 2ea of 4 in. Decorative Heavy T-Hinge with Screws (black)
  • Minwax #215 Red Oak
  • Minwax Clear Satin Polyurethane

So far the top has been cut and sanded. The bottom edges have been cut, countersunk and screwed and glued. And two coats of stain on the top. The small semi circle cutout is to clear the trim on the edge of the bedroom dresser, when the desk is in place. I'm going to finish staining the desk top (sides and bottom) and then move on to doing the folding legs. (see sketch in previous post)

Here's how the male brackets that will attach to the female brackets on the dresser look:

And this is the top, after the second coat of stain. The little cabinet door is from the phone charging station in the RV. Might do one more coat, then the satin polyurethane:

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Always Learning

You sure got some pretty wood there!

Looks great. I think it'll be a heck of a work-top when you're done!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Gee, thanks Lou! I'm starting wish I had ordered Maple though, as I'm pretty sure that's what the rest of the coach cabinetry is. I've just got limited time to build this before heading out for 3 weeks, meaning I will be working in the coach during that time.

If it ends up bothering me enough, I'll order some maple and build another top. No biggie, the top is like $20.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Looking forward to seeing this project completed.
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Well, the weather has not been cooperative lately (cool and raining) and work has been pretty hectic. But I am still working on it. I hope to have it installed this weekend. More pics soon.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Yay! The desk is finished and it works great!

The biggest obstacle, was drying time of the stain and clear coats. That took a LONG time!! (cool, damp weather). But patience prevailed and the result should work perfectly for me to be able to work (Sr. systems engineer for Dell) when we travel. And given that I am 100% remote, we are looking forward to spending more and more time doing just that.

Anyway, here are the finished pics:

Mounting brackets on side of dresser:

Desk, folded up, showing legs and mounting brackets:

Desk installed, brackets on dresser: (sorry, it's a bit dark)

Desk installed:

Another of the desk, installed:

During testing (legs not installed), with my work laptop and 22" wide screen monitor. Tight, but it works, comfortably for me. (I use dual 24" wide screens at home):

Desk folded and stowed in closet:

Desk chair, when not used: (I got it from IKEA and *LOVE* it. I can sit in it for 6 - 10 hours a day, comfortably.)

Well, there ya go. Desk in the RV problem, solved!

Humbly,

Dutch

Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

And a couple more with a 6' 2" (slightly overweight) test subject.

Test dummy, at the desk:

Test dummy, relaxing at desk:

Ok, now onto the next project....

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Denver, CO

What's cool about the Vcross 275vrl is that the bedroom already has a desk, and I use it for telecommuting. Being way up front with a really large and wide countertop, it is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-849448029.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	42530  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
And a couple more with a 6' 2" (slightly overweight) test subject.

Test dummy, at the desk:

Test dummy, relaxing at desk:

Ok, now onto the next project....
Looks like you did a great job on the desk , Congrats on being mobile and enjoy

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Thanks, everyone!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #17

For my last three years with Northrop Grumman, I was green-lighted to work offsite, even given a laptop, external keyboard, and 21" monitor. I already had a company Blackberry with unlimited data, so no problems in most places we camped.

Our '05 Georgetown 342 has a small desk/makeup table in the bedroom, and it was ideal for when I had to teleconference without interruption. Otherwise, I sat at the dinette, where I had a better view.

I was the Corporate liaison with the FCC and military Spectrum Management organizations, so I seldom had to be anywhere in person. I usually worked two 5-hour shifts per day, covering both East and West coast organizations, and we played the rest of the time.

Used Cisco VPN for security, and most folks didn't know that I wasn't at my "Official desk" in Palmdale, CA, until I sent them a pic of wherever I was!

I used to love making my boss jealous.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I heard that!!

I'm a Sr. Engineer for Dell and I live in the DFW area, but my "office" is actually in Boston. So... 100% work remote. M-F 8-5 and "on call" for a week, about once every 5-6 weeks. (and we don't get very many calls)

Tags
bed, roo