Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Diagram of Stud Locations on Coachmen 17FQ

Hello to All:

I'm looking to see if there is any available diagram or "blueprint" showing the specific stud locations on the rear exterior wall of a Coachmen Clipper 17FQ.

I *think* studs are 1-1/2" square--does anyone know if this is correct? If so, is there 16" of space from the middle of one stud to the next or is there another, more correct measurement?

Thank you!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #2

Just get upearly on a cool dewy night.When the sun shows up on the sides of the rv,you will see every stud,header,and frame outs for appliances.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

They likely aren't on 16" centers. I don't know if yours is stick built or aluminum framed- but the aluminum framed ones has as few supports as possible; basically around the openings and not much more.

If you have fiberglass/filon sides, trbomax's idea is solid. Don't know if it works on other wall-types.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Just get upearly on a cool dewy night.When the sun shows up on the sides of the rv,you will see every stud,header,and frame outs for appliances.
Correct! Youroo!!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
I *think* studs are 1-1/2" square--does anyone know if this is correct? If so, is there 16" of space from the middle of one stud to the next or is there another, more correct measurement?
Its stick and tin. Take a look in the strike opening on the entry door, that will confirm your stud thickness which is most likely 1-1/2".

You'll have a stud up the side of windows etc and then others thrown in, probably sort of random. Only as many as are barely required for the aluminum siding. You should be able to push on it and tell where they are or look inside for the staples.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

With the wood framed ones they are pretty easy to find, look for panel joints, and by gently pressing on the wall. An electronic stud finder works pretty well too. Most I have seen are 1.5" however I have seen a couple units with 1.25" Don't recall the brand.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thank you all very much! These are good ideas and good pieces of information to know. I'll check out all of these and see if I can get a better idea. I had called Coachmen and was not able to really get a good answer from them.

I appreciate everyone chiming in!

Happy Easter to All!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

don't expect the manufacturer to be much help with this. You will have to find them on your home, and shouldn't be to difficult
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Coachmen Clipper Fan

You're so right, Dave--its like a national trade secret or something to get info on the interior design from the manufacturer. I'll do all of the great ideas noted in this thread to see if I can find them.

To all who have replied, too, here is why I'm looking for this information. I'm planning on adding on a couple of diamond plated (front-opening) storage tool boxes onto the back bumper of my Coachmen 17FQ and want to see if I can not only bolt them to the bumper but I wanted to bolt them to the back wall....IF I could successfully find the studs so that I would know exactly where to drill and be sure I could hit studs.

Thanks again to All!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Coachmen Clipper Fan

As a follow-up to my last post, I was able to speak with the folks at Forest River - Viking and Clipper and while they could not (would not?) provide any documentation on the interior design of my 17FQ, they did confirm that my particular 2014 model does have wooden studs that are 1-1/2" square and are placed 16" from center-to-center. So, as long as I use a decent stud finder, I think I should be ok. If I'm successful at this modification, I'll take some pics, write up the steps followed and post it accordingly....

Tags
cat, coachmen, diagram, location