Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Digital Thermo

2010 Rockwood 2304s - struggling with replacing analog for digital. I am getting a range of confusing data, even from the local RV techs. I have found an Atwood Digital that says it simultaneously controls furnace and roof top air. $229.00. So asked tech for approximation of installation cost. He responds that he can't tell till he gets the new thermo and determines whether he has to reconfigure the AC wiring. If not necessary, very small job, but if necessary much labor to run wires. Do not want to pay big dollar for thermo then find that it is another big bill for installation. The Atwood part # is 1053-1 38555. Has anyone done this mod? I am not hung up on Atwood, but would sure like to find one that is quickly compatible with my Suburband furnace and Dometic roof air. My current thermo controls both, so the wiring is there.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Go to WalMart and buy yourself one of the basic Hunter Douglas thermostats that uses 2 AA batteries for power and a SPST microswitch. Then go online and download the instructions on how to hook it up. It is a simple job that will require only the addition of a couple of batteries and some basic soldering work. Total cost $30 dollars.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

I agree with donn above.
I installed a no name Walmart digital in each of my last three campers. Takes longer to open the factory packaging than to install. All your wiring is already in the wall. On the last one I don't think I paid $30.
Your dealer already knows what this will cost. Not sure why they couldn't quote you.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

thermo

Thx to both for very much appreciated responses. Will follow your suggestions.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Here is a link from another post on this subject

Hunter Thermostat
Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

I installed a Honeywell digital stat. The installation was very simple, and it controls the AC perfectly. BUT, it won't control my heat!! When I turn the switch to "HEAT" on the stat, the AC unit still kicks on & off.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
I installed a Honeywell digital stat. The installation was very simple, and it controls the AC perfectly. BUT, it won't control my heat!! When I turn the switch to "HEAT" on the stat, the AC unit still kicks on & off.
Go back and recheck your wiring job. There are several wiring schematics and you may have to try a different one to make things work as intended.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

I have just replaced my current programmable rite-temp digital thermostat with a Hunter non-programmable thermostat I purchased at Wal-Mart. See this link Walmart.com: Hunter Heat/Cool Just Right Digital Thermostat: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality.

(Just did this as I thought my current one that I have had for a couple of years was causing my furnace heating problem ... and it was not)

Was an extremely easy install and this non-programmable thermostat is an easy thermostat for my wife to operate.

(I had purchased a Dometic Digital thermostat but had to resell in on ebay as I was unable to use it unless I did a circuit board change on my AC.)

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

Someday have to find all the stuff for mine. I used a 12 volt rocker switch from napa. Mounted it on the wall. No toggle switch at all. Also use a Hunter. I have a Honeywell and got lucky to have an odd one.
USE A 42999B Hunter.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Agree with oregon camper

I have also replaced the analog thermostat with the Hunter. Very simple to install, small micro switch can be purchased from Radio Shack for low/high speed fan. The mod can be downloaded for the Hunter. The price from Wally World or Lowe's is around $20.00.

The analog thermostat has a +/- of 6° swing, where the digital has a 1-1 1/2° swing for start and stop of AC and Furnace which is more precise.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
The analog thermostat has a +/- of 6° swing, where the digital has a 1-1 1/2° swing for start and stop of AC and Furnace which is more precise.
And this is the big benefit.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #12

For us the AC is more in the heat. We have a 3 minute wait with Honeywell.
Acadia - We use to have a Fork Lift for peaches on a 8N ford and a 9n Fergie.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
2010 Rockwood 2304s - struggling with replacing analog for digital. I am getting a range of confusing data, even from the local RV techs. I have found an Atwood Digital that says it simultaneously controls furnace and roof top air. $229.00. So asked tech for approximation of installation cost. He responds that he can't tell till he gets the new thermo and determines whether he has to reconfigure the AC wiring. If not necessary, very small job, but if necessary much labor to run wires. Do not want to pay big dollar for thermo then find that it is another big bill for installation. The Atwood part # is 1053-1 38555. Has anyone done this mod? I am not hung up on Atwood, but would sure like to find one that is quickly compatible with my Suburband furnace and Dometic roof air. My current thermo controls both, so the wiring is there.
Check here, looks like MikeA may have a solution.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/thermostat-manual-18894.html#post153307

ab
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #14

I recently replaced my "Dometic" thermostat with a "Hunter" from Wally-World, cost of about $20. The old unit would continue to run long after the set-point for either A/C or heat had been reached. I had to play a bit with the wiring as my old one was a six wire set-up and the new one only used four wires. I did not add the extra switch for "Hi/Lo" fan as the low speed was enough. Odd thing was the green wire turned out to be the "HOT" wire in all this. I did not use the "RED" nor "BROWN" wire on the new unit. All is well now.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #15

I installed a Hunter Programmable Digital T-stat in our last 3 campers. Takes about 10 minutes. FYI I put in the hi/lo fan speed switch but leave it on high mostly.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #16

We took our 2013 2304s out for an initial shake-down cruise this past week. Rather than cycling, the air conditioner stayed on full,...without cycling, dropping the temp in the coach low enough to hang meat. After careful evaluation, we found that the location of the thermostat, which is mounted on a recessed panel, restricted airflow through the case of the thermostat. As such, the device would not sense the change in temperature and allow the AC to cycle. In addition, it is mounted adjacent to the refrigerator and media center, both of which emit heat. By taking the cover off of the unit it ran perfectly -cycled and produced appropriate temp. It is a Coleman-Mach coupled to a 15K BTU AC. We will move the thermostat out from the wall, so it the airflow is not restricted. We fully expect that this will resolve the problem.

Will someone please explain the benefit of changing to a digital thermostat. From everything we have read, the digital portion of the newer thermostats is only reflected in the readout. The boards are the same. We have found that the issue with the analog thermostats in the 2304s is where it is mounted, not the fact that it is not digital.
Kampkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #17

We have a 2011 2304s congrats on your trailer. We switched to a digital thermometer about 2 mos. after getting our trailer ac ran constanly. With the digital it cycles on and off we are moch happier. We also drilled a pattern of holes in the board that holds the thermometer because thers alot of heat back there and that also seemed to help.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampkate View Post
Will someone please explain the benefit of changing to a digital thermostat. From everything we have read, the digital portion of the newer thermostats is only reflected in the readout. The boards are the same. We have found that the issue with the analog thermostats in the 2304s is where it is mounted, not the fact that it is not digital.

Benefits:

1st) Better accuracy of temperature control.
2nd) If you camp for extended periods, you can set the 5-7 day schedule just like you would have it in your bricks & sticks house. (Providing you have a programmable one there too)
3rd) & probably most important, it’s an easy, inexpensive & way cool mod. It's the first mod I do on every new RV.

**There may be other reasons out there but these are the ones that work for me.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote