Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 77
Digital thermostat

I am thinking about changing the thermostat to a digital one. The question I have is can a digital work off battery power or will it work only with shore power? We have a 2013 fr rockwood 2608ws tt. Thanks for any advice.
__________________

__________________
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,362
If you just have an analog (slider) type thermostat, it's basically just a switch that turns on the 12VDC to the furnace. So if your furnace is powered up, the thermostat will work.

This mod is an absolute MUST. Much better than the analog.

I installed a Honeywell RTH 111, about $25 at Home Depot. Uses a couple AA's to power the circuitry.

I was replacing an analog Coleman Mach, which had a hi/lo speed switch for the A/C. So I installed a switch in the Honeywell to allow me to pick the A/C speeds. See the attached wiring diagram. If you don't want to do this, just pick whichever speed you want, and wire it to "G" connection. (Note that some folks have had problems with their A/C freezing up running on low speed.)

If you have the analog Coleman Mach, another route is to get a digital version. They're about $55 I understand.

If you search on "thermostat" you'll find lots of threads with lots of help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital T-stat 1.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	96969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150612_190139_868.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	96970  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostsat wiring.pdf (117.4 KB, 212 views)
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,558
I replaced the analog Coleman Mach stat that Rockfordroo refers to and purchased the digital Coleman Mach from Amazon, best thing I coulda done. The analog one has too great a degree variance and the digital keeps the temps much more constant. It was an easy install..wire for wire match from one to the other. Someone on the forum also made the suggestion, which I followed, to put a bit of insulation in the hole in the wall behind the stat in order to prevent the stat getting false temp readings from the cooler or warmer air trapped in the walls. You will not regret this mod.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you just have an analog (slider) type thermostat, it's basically just a switch that turns on the 12VDC to the furnace. So if your furnace is powered up, the thermostat will work.

This mod is an absolute MUST. Much better than the analog.

I installed a Honeywell RTH 111, about $25 at Home Depot. Uses a couple AA's to power the circuitry.

I was replacing an analog Coleman Mach, which had a hi/lo speed switch for the A/C. So I installed a switch in the Honeywell to allow me to pick the A/C speeds. See the attached wiring diagram. If you don't want to do this, just pick whichever speed you want, and wire it to "G" connection. (Note that some folks have had problems with their A/C freezing up running on low speed.)

If you have the analog Coleman Mach, another route is to get a digital version. They're about $55 I understand.

If you search on "thermostat" you'll find lots of threads with lots of help.
I installed this bad boy today. It works really good, and no need for wiring extra switch for hi/lo fan speed. It has constant read out of room temp and you can see what it's set to by just tapping an arrow. The setup is exactly the same. Also, because it's the same brand as the one I replaced, just digital instead of analog, the wiring matches up perfectly. so no mismatched wiring colors. It heated and cooled much more precisely than the analog thermostat. With the analog I was getting 5-6.5 degree range, now that's down to a 2 or 3 degree range. A lot more comfortable. This is definitely one of my best upgrades yet!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
I installed this bad boy today. It works really good, and no need for wiring extra switch for hi/lo fan speed. It has constant read out of room temp and you can see what it's set to by just tapping an arrow. The setup is exactly the same. Also, because it's the same brand as the one I replaced, just digital instead of analog, the wiring matches up perfectly. so no mismatched wiring colors. It heated and cooled much more precisely than the analog thermostat. With the analog I was getting 5-6.5 degree range, now that's down to a 2 or 3 degree range. A lot more comfortable. This is definitely one of my best upgrades yet!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
Exactly the same one I installed, and share same feelings!
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I replaced the analog Coleman Mach stat that Rockfordroo refers to and purchased the digital Coleman Mach from Amazon, best thing I coulda done. The analog one has too great a degree variance and the digital keeps the temps much more constant. It was an easy install..wire for wire match from one to the other. Someone on the forum also made the suggestion, which I followed, to put a bit of insulation in the hole in the wall behind the stat in order to prevent the stat getting false temp readings from the cooler or warmer air trapped in the walls. You will not regret this mod.

Haha maybe next time I won't get all excited, if I could have just read down 1 more message I could have just went yeah me too same here.... next time!
__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I replaced the analog Coleman Mach stat that Rockfordroo refers to and purchased the digital Coleman Mach from Amazon, best thing I coulda done. The analog one has too great a degree variance and the digital keeps the temps much more constant. It was an easy install..wire for wire match from one to the other. Someone on the forum also made the suggestion, which I followed, to put a bit of insulation in the hole in the wall behind the stat in order to prevent the stat getting false temp readings from the cooler or warmer air trapped in the walls. You will not regret this mod.

Now that's one of the most logical things I've read on this board. Also one of those things so obvious most (including me) would never think of it.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 276
"Originally Posted by WFD
I replaced the analog Coleman Mach stat that Rockfordroo refers to and purchased the digital Coleman Mach from Amazon, best thing I coulda done. The analog one has too great a degree variance and the digital keeps the temps much more constant. It was an easy install..wire for wire match from one to the other. Someone on the forum also made the suggestion, which I followed, to put a bit of insulation in the hole in the wall behind the stat in order to prevent the stat getting false temp readings from the cooler or warmer air trapped in the walls. You will not regret this mod.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that's one of the most logical things I've read on this board. Also one of those things so obvious most (including me) would never think of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why it it would be necessary, a thermometer reads the temp from the ambient air, not from the backing plate. I suppose you could get some 1/8" foam to insulate the backing plate from the wall you attach it to, but honestly I don't see why you would need to mount it that way. The one in my home isn't mounted that way. Now I wouldn't mount it on an exterior wall, or near a register for obvious reasons. I would be interested to hear/see the rationale. Ths certainly isn't a industry standard...




Now that's one of the most logical things I've read on this board. Also one of those things so obvious most (including me) would never think of it."
__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
"Originally Posted by WFD
I replaced the analog Coleman Mach stat that Rockfordroo refers to and purchased the digital Coleman Mach from Amazon, best thing I coulda done. The analog one has too great a degree variance and the digital keeps the temps much more constant. It was an easy install..wire for wire match from one to the other. Someone on the forum also made the suggestion, which I followed, to put a bit of insulation in the hole in the wall behind the stat in order to prevent the stat getting false temp readings from the cooler or warmer air trapped in the walls. You will not regret this mod.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that's one of the most logical things I've read on this board. Also one of those things so obvious most (including me) would never think of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why it it would be necessary, a thermometer reads the temp from the ambient air, not from the backing plate. I suppose you could get some 1/8" foam to insulate the backing plate from the wall you attach it to, but honestly I don't see why you would need to mount it that way. The one in my home isn't mounted that way. Now I wouldn't mount it on an exterior wall, or near a register for obvious reasons. I would be interested to hear/see the rationale. Ths certainly isn't a industry standard...




Now that's one of the most logical things I've read on this board. Also one of those things so obvious most (including me) would never think of it."
Ken...my thinking was that there is a decent size hole in the wall behind the stat that allows for the wiring to come through. Given that we don't always heat or cool the trailer at a constant temp as we do a house, trapped air inside the wall cavity, just the same as trapped air inside the cupboards can vary quite a bit when compared to ambient air in the trailer. Not knowing exactly where that sensor is located on the stat and given the size of hole behind the stat, air leakage from that wall cavity behind the stat could fool the stat by a simple degree or more thus causing a wider range of when the heating/cooling cycles.
So while I had the thermostat off the wall, i figured it made sense to throw some fiberglass insulation in that hole to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Easy to do while it's off the wall, and it's simply a tiny piece of insulation to stuff in there.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Ken...my thinking was that there is a decent size hole in the wall behind the stat that allows for the wiring to come through. Given that we don't always heat or cool the trailer at a constant temp as we do a house, trapped air inside the wall cavity, just the same as trapped air inside the cupboards can vary quite a bit when compared to ambient air in the trailer. Not knowing exactly where that sensor is located on the stat and given the size of hole behind the stat, air leakage from that wall cavity behind the stat could fool the stat by a simple degree or more thus causing a wider range of when the heating/cooling cycles.
So while I had the thermostat off the wall, i figured it made sense to throw some fiberglass insulation in that hole to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Easy to do while it's off the wall, and it's simply a tiny piece of insulation to stuff in there.
Oh tiny piece of insulation, gotcha. I can understand that. I may have misread your post before responding...sorry.
__________________

__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
thermostat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.