Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

Dinette storage modifications?

New Wolf Pup has very little clothing storage. Want to put drawers in under dinette benches...anyone have any links/info to share?
Haelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Not the same RV, but the same issue.
Here's the drawer I built under the dinette seat.
Bama's Rambling Mods
Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Kasual Kamper

The MicroLites that have slides have drawers under the dinette seat. Perhaps you can order parts from Forest River.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

We went the other way: We had drawers under the dinettes, but they wasted about half of the usable space:

The drawer face became a flip-down door:

The support plywood was screwed to the frame. It was removed, then I drilled a couple of finger holes to make it easy to lift:

Then we had access via the door, and for larger items or stuff way back under the seat, we could pull the cushion and panel.

However, all of that is now gone, replaced with:

and I'm working on storage boxes behind and below...
Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Yes, the camper does not have any closet and there are 4 of us, so I think we need the drawers for clothing.
Haelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

If the space under the benches is clear, you can install drawers. Check first, sometimes things like water tanks or furnaces/water heaters are located in these areas.
Let us know what you find.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #7

Looks like you replied in my profile comments, rather than to this thread:
-----------Start Comment----------
Yesterday 02:52 PM
Haelles

Yes, they are clear for sure....you can open from top, but that’s a pain to get clothing. If anyone has any plans or tips or suggestions as to where to buy drawers already on a track.....please!
-----------End Comment----------

Yea, we understand the access issues - it's a bit of a pain to get to.

One mod we made early on was to change part of the pantry/wardrobe for this very reason. We didn't have enough drawer space, but we had wardrobe space that we'd never use. We don't hang clothes on hanger in the motorhome - everything is folded and stored.

Thus, I built a shelf and two drawers to the wardrobe:

Pertaining to your question/statement, drawers are generally designed for specific spaces. Subsequently, I'm not sure you'd find ready-made drawers with the parameters you need, such as depth, width, height, drawer face style & color, drawer carcass material, etc.

You might shop the furniture stores or general merchandise stores for a cabinet that contains drawers/slides similar to your needs, then adapt them to your dinette bases.

Beyond that, it would be a cabinet shop* or a friend that has some woodworking skills and equipment (and time/desire) to help. Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions.

* Good luck with cabinet shops - every one I tried to work with balked at the idea of working on an RV, and I can understand that. However, you might find a business that's in need of the work.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #8

What did you do with the old Dinette benches?

RV there yet!
Tim966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

I just realized Tim966 asked me a question but I didn't see it until now. Sorry.

The benches are setting in the barn, awaiting disassembly. I'm planning on cutting down one of the end plates as they have the drawer faces that I had converted to doors, as you see in my second and third images.

Access to the water heater bypass valves is currently provided by removing the bottom drawer of the pantry/wardrobe, or at least disengaging the slide latches and extending the drawer a bit more. There's a blank-out panel below the drawer, where having a door would make it much easier.

I'm not sure anyone would want them:

but they might be of some value to someone. They'd cost a bundle to ship, however.
We still have the original cushions, but I've used the plywood panels that were supporting the bottom cushions for other projects.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
We went the other way: We had drawers under the dinettes, but they wasted about half of the usable space:

The drawer face became a flip-down door:

The support plywood was screwed to the frame. It was removed, then I drilled a couple of finger holes to make it easy to lift:

Then we had access via the door, and for larger items or stuff way back under the seat, we could pull the cushion and panel.

However, all of that is now gone, replaced with:

and I'm working on storage boxes behind and below...

That is the theater seat I put in my Forester. Will miss it when I trade it in.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modifications, storage