Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Swift2
 
Swift 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Concord
Posts: 150
I use an app on my iPhone called sat finder. I can see if there's obstructions trees etc. and exactly where the satellite is. It usually takes me 10 to15 minutes to set up my antenna once I have all my equipment hooked up.
__________________

__________________
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
I don't understand the frustration with aligning the hd dish from directv. It takes me 20 min(not trying to be a bragert?). I use a signal meter. Get elevation and tilt from the zip code and just rotate the dish till high pitch on meter.
... and the first time you took your antenna out of the box and assembled and mounted it, it only took you 20 min to get a good signal?
__________________

__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 119
When we tried putting the zip code in when we were using our Directv it wouldn't stay so when mu husband called them they said they had to change our zip....when we got home we had to call them to change it back.
__________________
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,238
I'm not sure what you mean by "it wouldn't stay". As I remember, I entered my park ZIP code to get tilt, azimuth, elevation settings to adjust my antenna. After that it didn't matter. Maybe that's because I was only 250 miles from home.

Thanks for the post. I assumed I had killed the thread!


Sent (I think)
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 119
Directv setuo

Just asked my husband about the zip code thing and he said in order to get the local channels that is why they had to change it.
__________________
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,238
Direct TV

I got home locals which is what I wanted. I used my phone apps for weather, etc.


Sent (I think)
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
I don't understand the frustration with aligning the hd dish from directv. It takes me 20 min(not trying to be a bragert?). I use a signal meter. Get elevation and tilt from the zip code and just rotate the dish till high pitch on meter.
Hi wowzer,
Please provide us less technical folks with more details, model/source for signal meter? is the a smart phone app for the elv/tilt by zipcode?
Thank you,
Wanderer
__________________
2008 Cardinal 30RK fiver.
2009 Chevrolet 2500HD DuroMax

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
Swift2
 
Swift 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Concord
Posts: 150
The smart phone app is Sat Finder. Works great for me.
__________________
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Hi wowzer,
Please provide us less technical folks with more details, model/source for signal meter? is the a smart phone app for the elv/tilt by zipcode?
Thank you,
Wanderer
I'm not wowzer but I think I can help.
I use the iPhone app "SatFinder Lite" MERELY/ONLY to determine if my antenna has a clear path to the 3 satellites (no trees, no RVs, no neighbor, no ice cream parlor in my way). Then when I run through the DIRECTV onscreen setup procedure, I enter my ZIP code to get tilt, azimuth, elevation settings. Then I set the antenna's tilt, then the elevation then I point the antenna roughly in the direction SatFinder Lite shows the satellite(s). Then I set my TV to broadcast sound through my radio/DVD player and turn on my outside speakers. Then I set the onscreen program to "beep" when I get a signal and turn my antenna slowly left to right to left until I get a fast pulse beep and I'm done.

BTW, I don't use a signal meter other than the DIRECTV configuration program.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm not wowzer but I think I can help.
I use the iPhone app "SatFinder Lite" MERELY/ONLY to determine if my antenna has a clear path to the 3 satellites (no trees, no RVs, no neighbor, no ice cream parlor in my way). Then when I run through the DIRECTV onscreen setup procedure, I enter my ZIP code to get tilt, azimuth, elevation settings. Then I set the antenna's tilt, then the elevation then I point the antenna roughly in the direction SatFinder Lite shows the satellite(s). Then I set my TV to broadcast sound through my radio/DVD player and turn on my outside speakers. Then I set the onscreen program to "beep" when I get a signal and turn my antenna slowly left to right to left until I get a fast pulse beep and I'm done.

BTW, I don't use a signal meter other than the DIRECTV configuration program.

As a suggestion;
I use a baby monitor to set up my portable sat dish. I plug the base in by the TV and put the remote on my belt. That way no one gets bothered by the noise.
__________________

__________________
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.