Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Don't hold me to this, but I don't think an H-24 receiver will work with a SWM LNB. You might call SatPro for more info.

That's what I have and it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That's what I have and it works great

Sorry, you are correct. After doing some research I guess the need for 120 volts to the LNB is why I thought it would not work with the H-24. In fact the SWM LNB will work with many of the receivers back to the H-23.

Thanks for helping me to get straightened out.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I haven't gotten around to messing with the satellite setup yet, but wanted to bounce my ideas off of the fine folks here.

I have the parabolic DirecTV dish at home, the Genie (with two Clients plus the main box), and an additional HR24 Box. On the docking station of my Sandpiper, there are 3 satellite inputs. My plan is to use a tripod mounted parabolic dish and the SWM splitter before the docking station. From the splitter, I plan to run a short cable from each output of the splitter to the input in the docking station, and one through the basement compartment to the TV in the basement.

Would that work?

Is this the correct splitter?
DirecTv MSPLIT4R1-03 Approved WNC 4-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW60R68..._5C2ZwbWXFEM7Q

I am planning to test this over the weekend using the dish mounted on the house (while the Sandpiper is parked near it). Just looking for input before I spend too much time on it.

Thanks

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

If your home dish is SWiM equipped, you probably have a power supply and splitters somewhere in the house. So, if you disconnect your dish outside to test installation to your Sandpiper you may also need a power supply like this DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) from Solid Signal, to power your SWiM LNB on your home dish. Then you install your splitter to feed your docking station.

There is a sequence to installing the power supply & splitter due to pass through voltage needed to allow the LNB switch to operate......I think..... I use a "non-SWiM" setup (4 individual coax leads coming from my 5 LNB head) which requires B-band converters with H21 receivers. I was given a 3 LNB SWiM head, power supply & splitter and instructed how & why to hook them up properly but, that was 2 years ago and now I can't remember exactly how to do it. The only advantage I see in SWiM vs non-SWiM is you only need one coax from the dish for multiple Tv's vs a separate coax from the dish for each Tv.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
If your home dish is SWiM equipped, you probably have a power supply and splitters somewhere in the house. So, if you disconnect your dish outside to test installation to your Sandpiper you may also need a power supply like this DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) from Solid Signal, to power your SWiM LNB on your home dish. Then you install your splitter to feed your docking station.

There is a sequence to installing the power supply & splitter due to pass through voltage needed to allow the LNB switch to operate......I think..... I use a "non-SWiM" setup (4 individual coax leads coming from my 5 LNB head) which requires B-band converters with H21 receivers. I was given a 3 LNB SWiM head, power supply & splitter and instructed how & why to hook them up properly but, that was 2 years ago and now I can't remember exactly how to do it. The only advantage I see in SWiM vs non-SWiM is you only need one coax from the dish for multiple Tv's vs a separate coax from the dish for each Tv.

The main Genie box has the power inserter and it runs to a specific output on the splitter. The clients and the non genie box connect to the other three outputs. My plan is disconnect the boxes in the house and put them in the Sandpiper. I will then run cable (I have allot of spare cable and ends) to the docking station. I will end up with three cables from the splitter on the house running to the docking station (one cable per satellite "inlet"). I may even test out the non genie box, but considering it will be ran from the splitter directly to the box in the basement of the camper I don't see the need.

If this works then I will just need to purchase the dish / tripod and the same splitter that I have outside of the house.

I can't think of why it wouldn't work, other than the possibility of some crazy cabling and splits in the camper. The satellite inlets are supposed to be wired straight to their respective outlets in the camper, but this should determine if that is the case.

Four TVs to go camping? Ha! We don't really camp.... We go on vacations! My vacation consists of a little time on the beach followed by relaxing time in the AC with an adult beverage watching TV!

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
The main Genie box has the power inserter and it runs to a specific output on the splitter. The clients and the non genie box connect to the other three outputs. My plan is disconnect the boxes in the house and put them in the Sandpiper. I will then run cable (I have allot of spare cable and ends) to the docking station. I will end up with three cables from the splitter on the house running to the docking station (one cable per satellite "inlet"). I may even test out the non genie box, but considering it will be ran from the splitter directly to the box in the basement of the camper I don't see the need.

If this works then I will just need to purchase the dish / tripod and the same splitter that I have outside of the house.

I can't think of why it wouldn't work, other than the possibility of some crazy cabling and splits in the camper. The satellite inlets are supposed to be wired straight to their respective outlets in the camper, but this should determine if that is the case.

Four TVs to go camping? Ha! We don't really camp.... We go on vacations! My vacation consists of a little time on the beach followed by relaxing time in the AC with an adult beverage watching TV!

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Yup, I learned something here. I guess my receivers are old technology.....first I heard of "Genies" was when I reactivated my stuff and revisited these post relating to satellite Tv's.

It sounds like you have "home run" satellite cables in the Sandpiper. One complete run (no splitters) to each Tv location.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #86

Direct TV

Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.

http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote