Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #71

How is this for a cheap signal meter?

How is this for a cheap signal meter?

Satlink WS 6903 Digital Satellite Signal Finder DirecTV Meter LCD Buzzle for TV | eBay

Days Planned - 12

Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #72

Better yet... Dish, tripod and meter!

DirecTV HDTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV Mobile | eBay

Days Planned - 12

Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I take one of my home receivers (normally bedroom) and use the antenna I bought from these folks. Mobile Dish Kits

Just make sure you get the correct antenna and LNB for you receiver. My receiver is an H-24, so the antenna gets power through the cable and does not need external AC.

Nothing extra to pay to DirecTV this way.
That company is one I came across on EBay also. They have a dish Tripod, signal meter and coax for $97
Days Planned - 12

Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
That company is one I came across on EBay also. They have a dish Tripod, signal meter and coax for $97

That's a good deal in my book. Wish I had found that deal when I was looking.

Yeah, sounds like she was trying to sell you bull!

I have been known to run 100' of coax through the woods to a clearing and my dish to get a clear signal & all worked well. That clearing looked like the local Tv station with all the dishes parked out there.

If you don't want to get the automatic dish mounted on your roof ($$$) then the above find looks great.....it's everything you need except the receiver.

Once you get everything hooked up & aimed, call DTV and they will activate your receiver. Use your home address so you can get your local stations and don't change it unless you get someplace where your locals are not viewable & you want to get them. Otherwise do without them and try to get locals via your OTA antenna. You will still get all the rest of your package channels.

For example (this all depends on the size of your local market), when I reactivated my service after suspending it for a year, they gave me a special (welcome back) basic package (no frills) for $29.99/mo for 1 year. I let them reactivate it under my old home address (Washington DC market) to lessen the confusion because we full time. And I still received those local stations in Myrtle Beach, SC (540 miles). When we established our permanent address in Jacksonville, FL., I called and had them change the "service address" and told them not to send anyone out (they wanted to) because I already had everything up & running. Guess what......I still get the Jacksonville locals in Myrtle Beach also (350 miles). So, depending on your local market & how far away you go, you might still get your locals for quite a distance.

BTW, I DID NOT go through DTV's mobile division because of the potential additional cost for the mobile package (National network feeds). If I ever get somewhere far, far away and want locals via satellite, I'll just call them and have the "service address" changed......and no need to send a service tech!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #75

Cool. Thanks!
Days Planned - 12

Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #76

I take the receiver from my house. If you buy a receiver from Dish they charge you each month, so when I had Dish I let them furnish the receiver. With Direct the way they tell me is you can lease there receiver but you can't own it. I just use the one from my house, I never have a problem with it. I just go into setup and enter my zip code and it tells me tilt, azimuth and elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #77

I think if you want to you can use one from someone else, like a son or daughter and use it for free.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #78

When I suspended my service in July 2014 when we sold the house, I called and they told me they didn't need any of the 4 receivers back. So, in October 2015 when I called to reactivate my service, I chose my new package and they sent a signal to reactivate my receiver. That's why you have to have all equipment set up, aligned properly and turned on.

In December, I called to have a second receiver activated for the bedroom......took less than 5 minutes.

When setting up, you will be able to see on the screen your transponder signal strength. The majority of them should be in the 90% - 100% on a clear day w/no obstructions especially on the 101 satellite. If you elect the HD dish, tuning in the other satellites will take a little more time/patience. BTW, I have found that if you use a signal finder/meter to help align the dish, the transponder numbers will be 5%-7% lower until you remove it from the line once you have tuned it as best as possible.

The Dishpointer Pro app. is very good to see if you have a clear view of the satellites. When you center the 101 sat. on your screen, if you can hold it steady enough, it will give you all the necessary info; azimuth, elevation & tilt. You can then verify this in the receiver setup screen if you want.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #79

I haven't gotten around to messing with the satellite setup yet, but wanted to bounce my ideas off of the fine folks here.

I have the parabolic DirecTV dish at home, the Genie (with two Clients plus the main box), and an additional HR24 Box. On the docking station of my Sandpiper, there are 3 satellite inputs. My plan is to use a tripod mounted parabolic dish and the SWM splitter before the docking station. From the splitter, I plan to run a short cable from each output of the splitter to the input in the docking station, and one through the basement compartment to the TV in the basement.

Would that work?

Is this the correct splitter?
DirecTv MSPLIT4R1-03 Approved WNC 4-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW60R68..._5C2ZwbWXFEM7Q

I am planning to test this over the weekend using the dish mounted on the house (while the Sandpiper is parked near it). Just looking for input before I spend too much time on it.

Thanks

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I haven't gotten around to messing with the satellite setup yet, but wanted to bounce my ideas off of the fine folks here.

I have the parabolic DirecTV dish at home, the Genie (with two Clients plus the main box), and an additional HR24 Box. On the docking station of my Sandpiper, there are 3 satellite inputs. My plan is to use a tripod mounted parabolic dish and the SWM splitter before the docking station. From the splitter, I plan to run a short cable from each output of the splitter to the input in the docking station, and one through the basement compartment to the TV in the basement.

Would that work?

Is this the correct splitter?
DirecTv MSPLIT4R1-03 Approved WNC 4-Way Wide Band SWM Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW60R68..._5C2ZwbWXFEM7Q

I am planning to test this over the weekend using the dish mounted on the house (while the Sandpiper is parked near it). Just looking for input before I spend too much time on it.

Thanks

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Don't hold me to this, but I don't think an H-24 receiver will work with a SWM LNB. You might call SatPro for more info.