Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

Direct tv satellite

Hi i need help with Direct Tv hookup. On the side of my Travel Trailer. There are 2 ports. 1= satellite and 2= cable. I have a Direct Tv dish and receiver. I want to be able to view on tv in Lv area and bedroom and also exterior Tv. I know i wont be able to view all 3 only having 1 receiver. But my help is do i connect dish to satellite port? And if so what is the hookup procedure for the receiver? Can i take the receiver inside and hookup to each TV when wanting to view? My dish need to be powered up through the receiver FYI. i have tried to hookup dish to satellite hookup and attached receiver to any of the 3 TV's i have and get no signal. But when i attach dish to coax cable then to Direct Tv receiver and HDMI cable to outside Tv all works. Any help really appreciated. Tired of just being able to watch tv only on outside TV. Thanks Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

I was told by the Direct TV installation guy that the signal from the dish to the receiver will not pass through a standard no-power-pass splitter. My bedroom tv and living room tv both work off the sat as they are on an HDMI powered splitter, but not the outside tv. I have no idea if there is a way around this. Maybe someone with better info will chime in. I'd like to use my outside tv with satellite.
My outside cable/sat connection works well and I still get fixed antenna signal of local stations on all three tvs.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Direct tv

Thanks for response any other suggestions. How to rectify the situation. Thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

I use my main Genie HD receiver and the small genie receiver for bedroom. I use a Directv Slimline 3LNB dish, Directv Splitter SVM 4 way with a power inserter (P-21). Sat cable connected to sat/cable port on rv. Believe there's some videos or instructions on how to connect....on Internet. Sorry I don't have more details....
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

You need to find where the splitters are an take them out you can not have any splitters in the line coming from the dish in order to watch on other tv you will have to un screw form your box an put a but to but from your living room back to your bedroom tv then hook your box back up you can get splitter that you hook your supply cable from the dish then that splitter has 6 to 8 outlets for cable that you could run a straight line to each tv
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

If you have a cable in an a saline in on your tt it's not that let me know if you want more help
stinglejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

Wish they would make the whole satellite thing easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Craig Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Large View Post
Wish they would make the whole satellite thing easier!

Not a dealer in America, and probably not any manufacturers, understand it.

I have not one flipping clue why not.........but they don't. Took me forever to figure it out.

Hint: A Radio Shack short piece of flat coax, through a window, will solve a lot of your problems. Forget the trailer wiring.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

I installed a new coax jack next to the one already in and ran it directly to the cabinet above the TV. King Quest plugs into that which plugs into receiver in cabinet.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Not a dealer in America, and probably not any manufacturers, understand it.

I have not one flipping clue why not.........but they don't. Took me forever to figure it out.

Hint: A Radio Shack short piece of flat coax, through a window, will solve a lot of your problems. Forget the trailer wiring.

Crazy that FR can't get it right! It's really not that difficult!!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

This is what I do, I set the satellite dish and hook it up straight to the tv and after I got everything working I then tried each connection outside until I found the right oneClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468929960.179937.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	114633Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468929979.204888.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	114634Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468929995.629450.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	114635Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468930011.955407.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	114636

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #12

This is what I see inside my camper Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468930269.632939.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	114637

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

In my camper, a Keystone Outback, the over-the-air (antenna) and analog cable TV share the same coax. This coax is run to all the TV locations (master, main and bunk house). There is a push-button switch in the master that switched between the two (OTA or cable).

In addition, there is one dedicated coax run from the SAT IN (outside of camper) to the main TV. This is for sat only. Because of this, there are two coax receptacles near the main tv: OTA/cable and the sat. It is this sat coax that I connect my sat receiver.

"Generally speaking", sat cannot be split. (Actually is can, but if you know how you wouldn't be asking this question.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
clr

I have a Sanibel 3601 and it has three coax connections in the UDC, one for cable, one for Sat to the main TV in living room, and one for the TV in the bedroom. I have mounted the Directv powered splitter, and power supply in the UDC and made cables that are left connected to the main TV and bedroom TV. So now all I have to do is setup the dish and connect to the UDC and I am good to go. This makes the setup very easy. Some RV's have splitters somewhere in the RV on the Sat connections and this makes it much harder. If you have the splitters you may have to upgrade or remove them to make this work.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite