Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I would be hesitent to go less than 2" between tires on dual axles. I had the same decision going from a C rated 205/75/14 to a D rated Kumho 205r14. Unfortunately, the Kumho was 1" more in diameter which would have decreased the space between tires at rest to 1". I think too much risk when they are bouncing around for coming in contact.
Vic, the Hankook RA08 in 195r14 is the same size as a ST205, I think Kumho discontinued this size, thats why I went with Hankooks.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #42

Hot topic. Agree that speed should be kept reasonable while towing. I always stay around 68. I have had the Westlake tires for 2 years now. Don't see the need to toss them. Proper inflation and care along with reasonable driving goes a long way. I just personally don't believe that manufactures would put subpar tires, this is a crucial safety element. Just not good business. Are there better ones on the market, sure. Are these dangerous, no. I know, I know. Lots of horror stories. Problem with the internet is that it's mostly complaints, not praise. A happy customer rarely takes the time to report, an angered customer feels the need to tell the world. Side note is that it was my impression ( not sure if it's fact) that trailer tires had much more sidewall flex for when making turns with the trailer and the tires a extremely flexed. LT tires are not designed for this. So if you only tow in a strait line at 80 mph maybe you need bigger American LT tires. If you trailer it like it's designed the china bombs are prob fine.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose killer View Post
Hot topic. Agree that speed should be kept reasonable while towing. I always stay around 68. I have had the Westlake tires for 2 years now. Don't see the need to toss them. Proper inflation and care along with reasonable driving goes a long way. I just personally don't believe that manufactures would put subpar tires, this is a crucial safety element. Just not good business. Are there better ones on the market, sure. Are these dangerous, no. I know, I know. Lots of horror stories. Problem with the internet is that it's mostly complaints, not praise. A happy customer rarely takes the time to report, an angered customer feels the need to tell the world. Side note is that it was my impression ( not sure if it's fact) that trailer tires had much more sidewall flex for when making turns with the trailer and the tires a extremely flexed. LT tires are not designed for this. So if you only tow in a strait line at 80 mph maybe you need bigger American LT tires. If you trailer it like it's designed the china bombs are prob fine.
Well Stated Goose. Valid points!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose killer View Post
. I just personally don't believe that manufactures would put subpar tires, this is a crucial safety element. Just not good business. Are there better ones on the market, sure.
I asked both, a Jayco rep and a Forest River rep last year in Atl, why no American tires are put on units, or in fact, why aren't better tires put in them. Both of the answers went directly to money. They are a LOT cheaper, but the Jayco rep also stated that no American tire company can supply the entire RV industry with tires due to volume. I took off 5 tires off of my work partner's Montana last week. One of course was the spare. Two of them had major failures imminent. The tires had a date code of "4211" so they were around 3.5 years old. One had a fist sized know on the sidewall and the other had a broken belt with a misaligned tread pattern. They use a TPMS system as do all that camp with us. Since 2010, there have been 6 new campers bought in our group and every one has had a tire failure or a tire problem. Of course, we are in the south where the roads get hotter, but that kind of failure rate, just in our group is why all of us have switched to LTs, G rated or the 17.5" H rated Sailuns.. When my camper was delivered, the outside sidewall had a knot on it, fresh from the factory. It was replaced, but I learned all I needed to know about ST tires since that day. These rigs are heavy, but yes, people's driving habits do come into play. Driving too fast hitting curbs, etc...but none of us have had a failure with LT tires yet. I'm not sure what the answer is, not trying to start an argument, but if safety was a the forefront, these type tires would not come on the units, and you wouldn't have overloaded axles right out of the factory either.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #45

4 New St 22575R15 inch Trailer King St Radial Tires R15 10 Ply 2257515 225 75 15 | eBay

These are great tires at a great price. I run them on my fiver with no issues at all. I also ran them on my bumper pull camper as well. I just got another set from FedEx today for my car hauler.
2003 F-350 SRW V-10 3:73 gears
Knightrider955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:11 AM   #46

If ST tire were made in the USA I would buy them no matter the price, unfortunately there are none to be had.

So you have the option of running cheaper tires made in some other country or you buy more expensive tires made in some other country and hope they are better.

The Akuret tires on the lite are now just over two years old (DOT 0113)and have around 5-6000 miles on them, they are covered when not in use and the air pressure gets checked before every trip.

I have had zero problems with them but will likely replace them in 2016 due to age with tires made in some other country....
Old 04-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #47

Mine are china but Load Range E 10 ply. Not all China tires are bad. The tires that were on my fiver were China made and 11 yrs old and never blew out or anything. I only changed them because on their age.
2003 F-350 SRW V-10 3:73 gears
Knightrider955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #48

I believe the key to any trailer tire is a margin of safety with the weight rating and properly inflated. I did not mean to come across as all are bad, but their history leaves me a little jaded. I now run Maxxis tires on mybTT toy hauler and love them. The bigger, heavier campers are my main concern.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #49

When we bought our before this one 5th wheel we had the China Bombs and I'd done some research and was advised that we'd be alright for about a year and then it would be a good idea to change them out. I dragged me feet replacing them and sure enough, just after a year three of them popped over a period of a week.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires