Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #21
Always Learning

I'm fairly certain my Sabre came from the factory with ST tires and minimal space between them (less than 2"). I've got about 10,000 miles towing with this setup. I did replace away from my Akuret cheapo tires to Maxxis because of a nail on one and a bubble on another.

RotoChock makes a between the wheel chock that can go down to extremely small clearances.

The lower weight carrying capacity and my own general lack doc knowledge are what keep me from switching to LT tires.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #22

I have seen the rotoChock and they are nice, would solve the problem with the tires too close, just wondering how close is too close......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #23

I just want to chime in for a quick post to all who are posting here, First thing it has been determined that most tires are made in china (even Goodyear, Michelin and more) and it amazes me how many people post (they want to get X tire to drive at 70 or 75 or 80 mph????) there is no rv built to safely handle this kind of long time speed, folks it is not just the tires, but the axels, the height the weight the stopping distance, there is so much more involved. And to make matters even really worse there is not a light or medium duty truck MADE to run these kinds od speeds for any long time with out issues, and last but not least your fuel mileage drops off like a rock above 65! This is also proven, so to all who feel the need to drive this fast (and believe me I have driven the fast ex race driver, do it SAFELY and not with any RV!) Sorry to burst some bubbles.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #24

Interesting article, worth the read. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...consumer-risk/
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #25
Broke and happy

All these ST tires, will blow out even if treads look great. My boat trailer Maxxis tire blew out, and did some damage. The other tire was strip off treads. They looked fine at home and only went down road a few minutes. My fault not changing them out after at 3 or 4 years. Trailer tires are cheap and work fine for their intended application, but beware as they age.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-23 08.34.09.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	66814  
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
I just want to chime in for a quick post to all who are posting here, First thing it has been determined that most tires are made in china (even Goodyear, Michelin and more) and it amazes me how many people post (they want to get X tire to drive at 70 or 75 or 80 mph????) there is no rv built to safely handle this kind of long time speed, folks it is not just the tires, but the axels, the height the weight the stopping distance, there is so much more involved. And to make matters even really worse there is not a light or medium duty truck MADE to run these kinds od speeds for any long time with out issues, and last but not least your fuel mileage drops off like a rock above 65! This is also proven, so to all who feel the need to drive this fast (and believe me I have driven the fast ex race driver, do it SAFELY and not with any RV!) Sorry to burst some bubbles.
you have posted a lot of things here with no proof of any of it! My Michelins are made in the USA.. My truch is assembled in Mexico. The drive train is fully capable of sustained speeds over 75MPH. Michelin does not make ST tires. Michelin like many manufacturers build tires all over the world for various markets. My truck does not have to stop the trailer. That is why my trailer has service brakes that I maintain in top condition. My rig is fully capable of stopping within safe distances based on my combined weight.
i just do not understand your post?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #27

I think he's trying to say ST tires are rated for 65mph so they aren't designed for high speed and weight carrying.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #28

China bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
you have posted a lot of things here with no proof of any of it! My Michelins are made in the USA.. My truch is assembled in Mexico. The drive train is fully capable of sustained speeds over 75MPH. Michelin does not make ST tires. Michelin like many manufacturers build tires all over the world for various markets. My truck does not have to stop the trailer. That is why my trailer has service brakes that I maintain in top condition. My rig is fully capable of stopping within safe distances based on my combined weight.
i just do not understand your post?
Well I do have a lot of proof of anything I would say anywhere, but as for your comments sir, your "truck" may of been built in Mexico or many other locations it has no bearing on anything, And you are correct "the drivetrain is capable of speeds of 75 mph" BUT NOT for any extended travel time! No passenger cars/light duty trucks are built to sustain long speeds over 65 and that does not include towing 10,000 lbs. or more. Because if you are towing anything of this kind of weight or more all manufactures will tell you to slow down as it is not safe for many reason, (ie; braking, tire safety, cooling, and more driving conditions) And it has NO bearing as to weather you keep you truck or trailer (as you state it) "in top condition" All of us are suppose to maintain our vehicles to manufacture spec's to maintain the use and safety of that vehicle. Now quickly since you think I am talking nonsense I was a auto/truck heavy equipment tech for over 25 yrs. with many certificates from all manufactures meaning (chev, ford, dodge) and also was a training person for driving and safety for over 5 yrs. for the state of NY. So yes I do know from what I speak. I hope this help you and others about this issue. If you have any other questions please feel free to post them here and I will gladly reply. Happy Camping and Holidays to all
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #29

What most people do not know is LT tires are rated for weight at usually 99 mph.
They also have a 20% weight rating reserve at that rated speed.
They are rated to carry passengers STs are NOT.
BF Goodrich commercial TAs are made in USA by Michelin.
This subject is very hotly contested in this forum, with many people on both sides.
I for one want tires that are rated to carry passengers, made in USA, that I am comfortable pulling a 13,000 lb Rv with.
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #30

As I said earlier--the problem is you can't find an LT that can carry as much weight as the ST in the same size. You can if you go up a size, but many of us can't go up a size due to space restrictions. So there's no way I'm putting on a tire that can carry less weight (in the same size,) even if it can go faster. And I really don't think the STs are going to fly apart if you have them going 70. Being on the spot with pressures is going to make a big difference here, too.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 AM   #31

I've replace my good year marathon tires with the Goodyear G614 tires. I believe that the Marathon were over rated. I agree with the previous post about speed. I respect what he said about towing. But despite the truck design these trucks can drive 70 to 80 mph with nothing slowing it down. With 400 or more hp,and 800 ft lbs of torque. The new truck have no real issue of towing. But where the weakest link is..... the trailer tires and the brake systems. Even upgrade to the tire to a J load range. The maximum speed rated by Goodyear is 75 mph. Also after taking in effect of load and distance. We all know about heat... even with maximum inflation at 110 psi. When stopped after 20 miles, feeling the tire. There is no question that you can feel the heat of the tire coming out of tire. This is what friction causes.. The enemy is friction. When you travel past the maximum speed rate of the tire. Heat,load and pressure causes failure. Period.... And with brakes when you apply them to stop at highway speeds. We also generated a huge amount of friction and a huge amount of heat. With braking system heat is again our enemy. We then have brake fade, which the brake lining became In efficient to provide a friction to the ability to stop the load. Cause brake rotors to blue and warp. The rotors can't release the heat fast enough, same time the drums and shoes get over heated. Then stopping distance goes from normal to at least double. If you can get it to stop. That's why in the mountains they have run away ramps. When you overheating the brakes. You use these to stop. Just use common sense when you tow.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #32

Just my 2 cents no one should be towing a travel trailer or any camper at more than 65 mph regardless of tires. It just an accident waiting to happen and it will. The braking systems are just not good enough to stop quickly enough in an emergency situation let alone any other factors. I have been towing trailers for almost 40 years & have seen alot...... Over confidence is major factor in accidents. & the old saying you got to watch out for the other guy. I cringe when a 40 foot fifth wheel blows by me ........& have seen them spread all over the highway when we catch up.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #33
Infractee

Well hell, IMHO 65 is reckless, just because the ST tires are rated to 65 why does that make it THE safe speed?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
...And you are correct "the drivetrain is capable of speeds of 75 mph" BUT NOT for any extended travel time! No passenger cars/light duty trucks are built to sustain long speeds over 65 and that does not include towing 10,000 lbs. or more.
No disrespect, but this statement is ridiculous, even by Internet standards.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #35

Do we need hot shots to be able to maintain the posted speed limit with a trailer? 😀
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #36

thor
I also have a 2013 Silverback 29 re with the same tires I have done 2 2000 mile trips no problems but I want to change to Michelins ribs also have you done anything or got any good answers on tire spacing??
Dexter axle recommends 1 inch min.
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You know, if you left earlier you wouldn't have to SPEED to get there. That's why Apple is in business, along with Verizon.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #38

I would be hesitent to go less than 2" between tires on dual axles. I had the same decision going from a C rated 205/75/14 to a D rated Kumho 205r14. Unfortunately, the Kumho was 1" more in diameter which would have decreased the space between tires at rest to 1". I think too much risk when they are bouncing around for coming in contact.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #39
TGR

There is always a debate over ST or LT tires and brands. As always, do some research before making this important safety decision. The web site below is a good place to read before buying.

Trailer Towing – ST Tires vs. LT Tires | RV 101® your education source for RV information
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #40

We just put a set of the Sailun S637 s on my work partner's trailer on Tuesday. These tires have a "G" load range at 3750 per tire. They are nearly identical to the GY G614s I have on my camper. However, at NTB, they were only $150.50 each. Great tire at a great price.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires