Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
DIY Portable LED Strip Setup...

I finally installed an outdoor LED strip for my canopy, and I did it without any wiring modifications to my trailer. I installed a 24V IP65 RGB+W strip to the side of the trailer, just below the canopy frame. I attached weatherproof 5 pin connectors on each side of the strip, and I secured each end of the strip at the heat shrunk connectors with tie wrap mounts. I also used clear epoxy to help keep the strip attached to the trailer. I didn't trust the 3M backing on the strip itself, especially in wind while traveling. This setup, with connectors on both sides, allows me to power the strip on one end, and connect another wire into the other end to supply power to an LED strip on the roller side of the canopy, giving us lighting from both sides. In order to power the lights I installed a 24V 350 watt power supply inside a weatherproof box, and I attached the LED controller to that. I used Velcro to secure the LED remote inside the box. There is also enough room to easy install a power strip for additional versatility. But, this setup allows me to easily connect power to my LED strip without the need to poke a hole into the trailer. The power supply box is lightweight and portable, and is extremely easy to connect. And, the RGB+W LED's are not only bright, but still have all the versatility of changing colors and changing brightness if we want to create a different mood. The power supply is adequate enough to supply power to a second strip which would give us even more lighting. If you don't want to penetrate the exterior of your trailer this is a suitable alternative. I plan to add a few pieces of Velcro to help with wire management to try and keep the kids from yanking on the wires. Otherwise, I think this will work well for us!

RGBW Controller
LEDENET 2.4G Wireless Touch Screen LED RGBW Strip RF Controllers Remote Control 5050 RGBWW Strip Lighting with Touch Ring Keys 12V/24V 4 Channel - Dimmer Switches -

24V Power Supply Genssi 24V DC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply: Electronics

RGBW LED's LEDENET Waterproof RGBW LED Flexible Strip Lights 5M 360 LEDs 5050 SMD RGB White Tape Lamps 24V Ribbon Lighting Kit: Home Improvement

Weatherproof Box
SockitBox Large Weatherproof Connection Box - Electrical Boxes -

Weatherproof Connectors DIN 8 Pin M/F Plug Waterproof Connector Cable Black: Electronics

5 Conductor Wire : Orbit Sprinkler System 5-Conductor x 50-Foot UF/UL Control Wire 57094 : Automatic Lawn Sprinkler Heads : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_191248.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	56768   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_191445.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	56769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_191532.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	56770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140630_080822.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	56771  

--Vic, Clermont, FL
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT w/ e2
2014 Coachman Viking 17BH
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Can I ask why you went with the 24V lights when you have 12V available from your camper? Does your box have holes in it? I would be worried that the power supply will over heat without ventilation.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
At the time I purchased everything I had a hard time finding the right combination, RGB+W, IP65, and wireless RGB+W controller. Since I knew I wasn't going to tap into the trailers 12v and instead was going to use the exterior power outlet, this was a good option for me. As for heat. There is some ventilation in the box, albeit very little. The power supply does have a fan on it, so that helps a little. But, it was 102 degrees outside yesterday. I turned on the lights around 530pm and left them on until 8am this morning. There was very little heat in the box this morning, after being on over 12 hours. And, the sprinklers nailed the box this morning, too. Everything was dry and worked as designed. I plan on using the lights at night as opposed to having them on in the heat of the afternoon, so generally I think it will be okay.
--Vic, Clermont, FL
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT w/ e2
2014 Coachman Viking 17BH
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote