Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #1

Domestic reverse cycle split system install.

Mentioned a while back in a thread that we were going to put a reverse cycle split system onto our 32' Wildwood van. A few people cited their interest in the install. Finally bit by bit we saved and got it done. So here it is.

1st I made some mounts to go off the rear bumper for base unit. I used 150mm x 50mm x 2mm thick Galvanised RHS bar 500mm long. Took to it with a grinder and drill after making some measurements. Ordered some rubber mounts to stop vibration into the base unit while traveling.

mounted the head unit inside at the rear next to the corner cupboard.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #2

then we waited for the refrigeration bloke to come and give us a quote on the pipe work, saved some more and then got him over.
as I didn't want any pipework to be seen I cut holes through the cupboard and down through the floor.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

waited a couple more weeks and finaly got the sparky to come over for a look and quote. We decided on doing all the wiring outside with a water proof box etc. so I made a stand for that and he came and wired it all up. Prity happy with how it all looks.

All that's left to do now is I want to make a fibreglass duct from the head of the split system to the original ducted hole in the roof from the original a/c. that was we can have ducted cool and warm to every room with a more efficient unit that the Dometic roof top. It'll be removed and a sky light will take it's place.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

What a neat install! This makes so much sense and If you use 3 piece split system in a Toy hauler or a 5th wheel you can get the zones worked out. I use a lot of systems like this for IT room, control rooms etc. They are very quiet and efficient as well.

Brian
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

thanks.
well so far this has performed great, very quiet. I haven't made the duct to put it through the original roof ducting yet, but it is warming the van well. our bedroom up the other end doesn't get it as much as the kitchen/dining area. I could solve that for the moment by running a fan to blow it in there better. Last power bill was lower than the previous 2! I know we have turned a fridge off in the shed we are parked next to, but we've been running this a/c every morning and night since installed.
so I am happy with putting this on.