Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Carnuba does from my experience as a detailer.
The fat and alcohol cleans, treats and protects it to an extent.
Not going to last forever but prolongs the life IMO.
Of course mine is non scientific but experienced based.

Exposure is the culprit.
Precisely why I keep mine covered.
My last trailer decals were 14 years old.
Only upper caps weathered due to the constant rubbing of the crappy cover on them.
Sides were in VERY good condition.
Well being in the sign business and doing my fair share of vinyl work, the only thing that could be prolonging it is if the Carnuba provides UV blocking. However the alcohol is not good for the vinyl but can be used to clean the surface during application prep when you are overlapping colors or first applying to the substrate. You did mention the key thing "Exposure is the culprit" in my case I don't think I will be out there waxing my signs anytime soon.
DaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Google Whizzy Wheel. I just used it to remove some very old baked on vinyl graphics. Works great and very easy. If not all the glue comes off then use acetone and plastic razor blades. Then you can paint them back on or get new graphics without worry about cracks or old graphics underneath eventually peeling off along with your new paint.
Cooking oil can be used to remove the adhesive very quickly as well, just make sure you clean the body completely before painting or applying new vinyl.
DaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRoo View Post
Cooking oil can be used to remove the adhesive very quickly as well, just make sure you clean the body completely before painting or applying new vinyl.
Actually we tried cooking oil, WD40, and GooBeGone. Nothing touched the dried up, baked on glue. Then we read that acetone (finger nail polish) won't hurt gelcoat. That actually worked with some elbow grease and plastic razor blades.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRoo View Post
Well being in the sign business and doing my fair share of vinyl work, the only thing that could be prolonging it is if the Carnuba provides UV blocking. However the alcohol is not good for the vinyl but can be used to clean the surface during application prep when you are overlapping colors or first applying to the substrate. You did mention the key thing "Exposure is the culprit" in my case I don't think I will be out there waxing my signs anytime soon.
Alcohol cleans the surface first, allowing the oils to penetrate.
When cleaning before waxing some surfaces, I use mineral spirits.

As for vinyl and exposure, I have tried many products to prolong the life of my vinyl spa cover. (Totally exposed to elements)
I have found some vinyl/leather gels to work great.
Recently I used Mothers "Back to Black" and it kept the cover in great shape for several weeks. Just water cleanup. Dirt does get embedded but I don't really care. Just looking to make it look good and last longer.
My current cover is over 7 years old (first 2 years indoors) and it is almost time for a new one.
I am sold on that stuff.
I am sure it would work on vinyl decals also. (I am sure better than carnuba)
I am pretty sure it has a UV protectant.