Old 08-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Drawer under convertible couch

We have a 2010 Rockwood Ultralight with the convertible couch with the inflatable mattress. It has a drawer under it that was great for storing the table extensions and grill plates.

About a year ago one of the tracks broke (ball bearings fell out and all). I finally got around to replacing it with a set of heavy duty drawer slides from Home Depot. The swap went well and the new ones were identical to the old ones.

Two trips later, we pull into the driveway to find the drawer on the floor again and track destroyed (same side as last time).

I think the drawer bounces open during the trip and the added leverage breaks the drawer.

Any ideas how to fix this for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2004 Banks Equipped Chevy Suburban 1500
2010 Rockwood Signature 8316SS

2010 Final: 35 nights - Can't wait until April
mgargiullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
i had the same problem and fixed mine with new slides. i now wedge a throw pillow under the drawer to keep it closed. Works most of the time.

dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Thanks for the pillow idea... sometimes low-tech is the best answer.
2004 Banks Equipped Chevy Suburban 1500
2010 Rockwood Signature 8316SS

2010 Final: 35 nights - Can't wait until April
mgargiullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
I have been looking at child safety locks to prevent such occurrances. We have an overhead cabinet that spills dishes occasionally in rough terrain and I think that may solve the problem.

They have some that are opened with a magnet that are easy to mount and no modifications to the appearance.
coupevillefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
The wife runs a small bungy thru the o/h cabinet handles to keep them closed.

2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Drawer under sofa

We had the same issue. I finally realized it was the sofa spreading apart. I ran a strap from one side to another. Solved.
Also used a tire stop and wedge under front.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Smile Drawer Stops

We had the same issue. I took a four inch wide piece of 1/4 inch plywood and cut a 1.25 to 1.5 inch slot about six inches deep up the center. Just before we pull in the slide, we drop one of these "stoppesr" into each of the under couch drawers in our trailer. The slot allows the plywood to fit over the back of the drawer and the brace that runs behind the drawer in the couch. The drawers no longer come open and you just reach behind the couch and lift the "stoppers" out at the next stop. We did this four years ago and it has worked simply and very well even surviving the Alcan going to Alaska and back. As I had the plywood, the cost was a few minutes of time with a saw.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
We installed 2 10lb or 15lb drawer latches on ours to eliminate the problem. There are many styles to chose from:

We also added heavier catches for all our 'problem' drawers and cabinets. No more surprises!!!!
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
I have remade all of my drawers in our 2304. Better materials and construction, plus every drawer was, at least, 4" shorter than they could be.
I used 1/2" rare earth type magnetic catches from Rockler woodworking and hardware to keep the drawers closed during transit. Especially that pesky one under the bench seat.
They are an easy install using the screw on cups for the magnets and screw on catch discs. They take up the same space as the cushion bumper pads.
I originally did this for our friends 5th wheel, on the drawer where Sarah keeps her cast iron cook ware. She Just couldn't understand why the drawer would come open. LOL
BTW, I also remade that drawer for her. The Forrest River standard (read crappy) butt joint and staples construction could not hold up to her overloading.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
we use our two rubber wheel chocks, making them do double duty. Harbor Freight at around $8.00 each. Work perfectly
PS we had to replace our tracks too

Maurice, LA

2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote