Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Drill holes in bumper?

know there has been lots of threads about not mounting bike racks on the bumper. I was wondering if it's okay to drill two 1/2 holes vertically through the bumper and then drill two more through the I-Beam just in front of and below the flooring to mount a left-over Dodge RAM hitch receptacle. The hitch receptacle would be bolted underneath the bumper and bolted horizontally to the I-Beam. Any comments appreciated!
teambovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambovine View Post
know there has been lots of threads about not mounting bike racks on the bumper. I was wondering if it's okay to drill two 1/2 holes vertically through the bumper and then drill two more through the I-Beam just in front of and below the flooring to mount a left-over Dodge RAM hitch receptacle. The hitch receptacle would be bolted underneath the bumper and bolted horizontally to the I-Beam. Any comments appreciated!
If you have a "Lite" trailer the answer is NO! The bumpers on all trailers is at best 16 ga and is too thin for anything but messing up a slinky hose.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #3

Cutting or drilling into the bumper can also void the warranty on your frame if your trailer or rv is new or fairly new. I believe the bumper falls in the frame category. Frame warranties are usually 5 yrs, I know mine is, I was informed by my service person.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Drill holes in bumper

I would not drill holes in the bumper.

Here's how I used a hitch off a Chevy pickup.

Welded 8 pieces of angle iron on hitch and U-bolted it to bumper.

I thought the bumper was strong enough to handle a bike rack. WRONG!!!!

Bumper started cracking off at frame. I squared bumper back up . I then welded rectangular tubing to the frame rails and to the first cross member ahead of bumper. Then welded two braces on the bumper between the U-bolts forward to the cross beam. The bumper hasn't moved since.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote