Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailors View Post
While I like the idea of keeping a trailer at home for the convenience, the one thing to consider is that when thieves case a neighborhood, an empty RV pad is like placing a sign in front of your house saying your on vacation.

As for security, we keep on trailer on a secure lot where security is very tight. I rest much better knowing someone else is watching my baby.
X2 - I've been instructed by my Maryland-Mom that I will keep the camper in storage OR fully enclosed once we find a place and move a little bit out into the country (as much as you can in this area, at least).

A permanent shed would be ideal, but it'll be expensive. I've found a few tent /carport-type enclosures that are less expensive that well likely use at first.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I've always kept my TT in storage for the off season. At my place I have 4 acres to park it, but for the winter I have a storage place 1/4 mile from my house with year around access. With the winters in Upper Michigan we can get 150-300 inches of snow. I elect to keep the snow weight off of the TT and then when it comes out, it's pretty clean also.

In the summer it will stay at home or at our family cottage always plugged in ready to get used.

My long term plan is to put up a pole building type of a cover
something like Frank-VA 's. That way I could use it as a guest house for the kids to come home to during the non-camping times.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
PPST OGCDG

I quoted in a earlier Post that I park our camper on Crush and Run Rock.
I have a piece 1/2" thick conveyor belt that I could cut into runners to place under the tires. Would this be better to use the conveyor belt or leave the RV on the Crush and Run Rock?
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
I quoted in a earlier Post that I park our camper on Crush and Run Rock.
I have a piece 1/2" thick conveyor belt that I could cut into runners to place under the tires. Would this be better to use the conveyor belt or leave the RV on the Crush and Run Rock?
Might put a 2x under the belt, but IMO, you're good to go! Only thing better is don't store, come to FL until the cold weather leaves. Saves winterizing expense and worry.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #45

There's nothing wrong with leaving the tires on crushed rock. That's prolly the best medium you can use because of the airflow around the rubber and superior drainage. You done good.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #46

Here's my story. In 2004 bought my first TT 25 feet. Had room to add slab next to drive. Checked city ordinance. Able to keep 30 ft unit on pad. Built concrete pad next to drive (professionally done with permit from city) 2006- Bought 29' 6" TT still within city code, length of slab let tongue hang over sidewalk a few inches. Code people said ok as long as TT did not block sidewalk entirely or block view to corner. Still ok. 2013 - Traded for new TT. 33' 11". won't fit on slab.Tongue hangs completely over sidewalk. Parked in middle of drive and pedestrians can get by as driveway goes past sidewalk. We're not in code compliance, but so far. no issues. Just waiting. Will probably have to get storage space if city complains.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
Denver, CO

I gots a condo storage shed 4 miles from home and it is great. Power and heated. Good investment, they have sprong up all over town.

Mine is 14ft by 50 and fits the camper and truck ready to go. also room for storage and a big workbench.

Awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4197945674.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	41959  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #48
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

WOW!

For us... The backyard!

We purposely bought our (final) home in a nice, quiet town, near most of our family (her and mine) and there is no HOA and city ordinance allows parking RV on the property, as long as you aren't living in it.

We're be replacing and rearranging the fencing, new driveway and covered parking for the RV and TV. Will have electrical, as well. (don't need water or sewer, already have a "method"). We estimate the cost at about $10k, but since this is the last home we're buying (and it was cheap), it should prove to be a worthwhile investment.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #49

We store ours at home. Extended our parking pad and we plug it into an outside house outlet. Keeps the battery charged and we can use the camper. Recently had our home kitchen redone and used the campers kitchen during rehab. Our yard is fenced an our dog makes for great 24/7 security. We keep all our camping gear packed in the trailer. When we get ready to go we only need to add food, a little water and clothes. I love being able to go in and out to make minor additions or changes. Only downside; when we leave with the trailer any and everyone knows no one is home. We intend to build an RV garage for that reason.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote