Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Driveway or storage?

Hope I picked the right area for this question! So I currently have a popup but the family has grown and so have our camper needs and wants and are looking at getting a Sabre 36QBOK around February or so. The issue is that the city we live in does not allow parking campers in the back yard unless it is on a concrete or asphalt pad. I know the camper is 41' long and have plenty of room to a pad put in but we may only be here for about another 2 yrs. Storage costs here run around $150 per month so depending on what surface you go with the break even is pretty close.
What I am trying to consider is:

1.) Would asphalt be a good idea being that we are in Texas and I know sometimes you can have issues with things sinking in over time

2.) Has anyone put in a pad or extended their driveway and sold their house had much issues with buyers not wanting that feature?

3.) Which do you prefer, storage or keeping it at home?

4.) If you did put in a pad did you add any electric service by the pad to hookup the camper

Any help, ideas or tips are appreciated

Branden221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Where to park

We live 15 miles SW of Dallas. We owned a Casita and had a concrete drive way put in next to the regular drive way for the Casita. In February of this year we bought a 22 foot Mini Lite travel trailer. We had the trailer parking pad extended for the longer trailer. The longer concrete pad keeps the trailer level, and makes going under it pleasant. My creeper does not have a rough surface, (Asphalt), to go over.
We keep the trailer at home, as it is plugged into a special circuit, in the shop, for the trailer. Also it is easier to load prior to a trip. Our town said the tounge of the trailer has to be behind the front of the house. With the extended pad, we are quite far behind the front of the house. We also have the benefit of having H2O for the trailer.

robert elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
As above the trailer is much easier to load, security is better, you have guest quarters and you can store all your camping gear in it and not need to worry.

Most here in colo are an improvement instead of degrading the price of your home.

BTW I would always add an RV circuit if I could, also add a sewer line if you can then you can have full hookups as well as your own holding tank dump.
Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #4

We live in Mi around the Lansing area and have a 42 foot Ceder Creek 5th wheel. We had another 8 foot wide extension added to our driveway making it about 18 feet wide and it's almost 60 feet long. We park the 5er in the driveway in front of the single car side of the garage and can still use that bay for all my yard toys and that leaves the other double door side open for the truck. I had a 30 amp plug put in the garage just inside the door so we can plug in the 5er and use the TV, Fridge, lights and it keeps my battery charged. Sure glad we don't have to store it. That sucks when getting ready for a trip. It's nice having it in the driveway and accessible when needed.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley BD-3 Trailer Saver. F R O G members.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Here is why we like ours at the house.
It cost less than $1000 to prep the area
Secure area
Quick and easy access for unpacking and packing and cleaning and playing
I can hand carry the waste water if I need to empty a tank
Today we had the house carpeted.
I ate dinner in the TT
I watched 3 movies and made some phone calls too
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
I'm not generally an advocate of breaking the law but I'd probably park the thing in the yard until someone told me not to. Heck, bury some cinder blocks under the tires and tell them it is parked on concrete! Sometimes It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. We have a 24 hour parking ordinance on the streets here but several people store their RV's in the street all summer.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Yeah I already got in "trouble" with the popup. I couldn't believe that they would rather have it parked in the driveway!
Branden221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Site Team
I almost added an extension to the driveway where I could park my TT legally (within city codes) but opted to keep my parking spot at a storage place. I encounterd lenght & weight limits as well as the first 9 ft of the driveway being city property. Tossed in the required distance beween curbs it can become confusing.

The reason I kept the storage parking space is that I can drop the TT off by myself without any problem, unlike at home. There's no entry after hours and the RVs are not visible from the street. In my case the TT is more secured off site than at home. While I like having the TT at home I like it better being out of sight especially after 3 break-ins in the neighborhood. Since I camp solo I can pack up the truck easily enough and load up the tt at the storage place without rasing a red flag that I'm away from home.

In my city the driveway extension has to be concrete. We can get a ticket if we park on the grass or dirt. If I decides again to extend the driveway then I will do it right so I don't have to take care of business on the city's timeline.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Could you just lay down 16 inch square paving bricks that you can buy at Home Depot?
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
I put in an asphalt pad and was told to let it cure 48 hrs before i parked on it. the trailer still has a tendency to sink even a year later. chose asphalt because it was cheaper than putting down concrete. i'm not so sure of that claim now.
my choice would be to keep it parked at home for the same reasons stated above. in addition, we stayed in ours over a weekend when the home air conditioner went out (they tend to go out on a Friday afternoon around 6pm for some reason...).
I still use an extension cord for electricity. 2 years? i would use an extension cord.
can't help u on resell value. would think it would increase it because it offers an extra paved area to park a car.
if u have a coal fired plant near by, they have a byproduct that can be spread easily. spray water on it and it hardens like concrete when it drys. it looks like powered cement. cost was somewhere between top soil and fill dirt. (i'm not talking abt bottom ash).

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote