Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #11

Yes thanks windrider. We are going to a National Park. They do have showers, dump stations and water for refilling the tank. My trailer has a 45 gal fresh water, 50 gal. black, and 70 gal gray. So I know we can make do for 2 to 3 days before we will need to dump, if not longer. We will be eating at the park restaraunt on occasion and we will have other means of lights; lantern, battery powered lamps, flashlights, etc. So, the furnace is the only real concern, and that's only for a couple hours just to remove the chill. The fridge runs on propane, and the water pump will only be used for morning washup & very few dishes. And, really, I could run the truck every day for a while to recharge the batteries as well, if needed.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #12

Check the current draw of the fridge. I had thought that the fridge in our last trailer used no power when running on gas but discovered in the middle of the night while dry camping otherwise. The control circuit of the fridge uses power.

I had not brought my generator. We though we had booked an electrical site. I used booster cables to charge the battery from my TV for about a half an hour a day.

Mike

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

When on Propane, our fridge uses 1.2 amps of DC power from the battery.
That draw is 24/7 since it powers the panel and the aux cooling fan in the stack.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I have been meaning to go out and experiment on DC draw on my inverter with the TV, Concertone, computer, and various combinations thereof. I will let you know tomorrow what my units pull.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #15

All we do is dry camp , as stated before very minimal generator use(if kids stay off the t.v).
I run two 6v golf cart batteries and can last a week easily. the cart batteries have great reserve capacity. 280 amp/hours each.
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #16

I just spent a week in the campground in Big Horn National Recreation Area. No hookups. I have a V-Lite with an Adco converter. I have a single deep cycle battery. I also have a Honda 2000i generator. I used the furnace every night set on 60* with a bump to 65* when I got up. It was just me and the dog. Fishing most of the day so the fridge an LP detector were the only day time users of power. I needed to recharge my battery every morning for about 2 hours. That would keep the battery charged up enough to get me through a 24 hour period. It got down in the high 30s and low 40s each night. So the furnace ran a lot. Using either a generator or your truck will take quite a bit of time to completely recharge. One thing you might look into is charging your battery while driving around during the day. It would be a pain to remove a battery but doable. That way you won't offend the anti-generator crowd. Have fun

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #17

Here maybe this will help you Technical Support