Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #1

Dual Battery Wiring Help needed

Hi All- I'm trying to figure out if there is any specific way that I need to wire two batteries together?
Should I split the + into two wires and attach one to each (same for Neg); or will this cause a problem?
OR
Run a +/- from battery 1 to battery 2.
Does it matter?
1 hour worth of research online reveals supprisingly little TT Dual Battery hookup info. Lots of info on RV hookup , but it's different since they are more complex give the isolators etc since a engine is involved.
I see that @ least one member here has dual battery tray, but did not provide any of the wiring diagrams.
Thanks for the help.

Gear:02' Jeep Grand Cherokee, K&N FIPKII Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip Stage II.
07' Rockwood 2701SS
Hensley Arrow Hitch
TruControl Brake Controller
Score: Wife, 2 Kids: 2yr Son, 6Mo Daughter Hobbies: Camping, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Snow Boarding.
Santa Barbara, CA.
JOHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #2

For wiring up a dual battery system assuming you have a 12VDC trailer (most are) and are using 12VDC batteries………

For 12VDC batteries
Connect the Pos+ terminals on each battery together and the Neg- terminals together. You will still have your 12VDC. This is a parallel connection.

For 6VDC batteries
If you connect the Pos+ on one battery to the Neg- terminal on the other and then use the free Pos+ and Neg- on each of the batteries you will end up with 12VDC. This is a series connection. A series connection will double your battery voltage.
If you have 12VDC batteries and hook them in series you will end up with 24VDC and wreck havoc on your trailer.

Before you hook it up to your trailer measure the voltage with a meter just to make sure you haven’t messed up.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
RAC

12+12 = 24.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #4

drew this up real quick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	373  
Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
RAC

Not bad for a redneck.

As to the original question, I prefered a switch to run # 1, #2 or Both. That gives you a choice. That way if you forget to disconnect power for whatever reason or leave something on, you only drain 1 battery and not both.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
Not bad for a redneck.
Believe it or not I got me one of them thar electrical engineering degrees...... I be edecated.

Quote:
I prefered a switch to run # 1, #2 or Both. That gives you a choice. That way if you forget to disconnect power for whatever reason or leave something on, you only drain 1 battery and not both.
Good idea with the swith(s) for battery choice, but that does muck up the wiring diagram a bit. They would just need a big enough to handle the current draw.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #7

Thank you!

You guys rock! I really appreciate the help.
Thanks!

Gear:02' Jeep Grand Cherokee, K&N FIPKII Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip Stage II.
07' Rockwood 2701SS
Hensley Arrow Hitch
TruControl Brake Controller
Score: Wife, 2 Kids: 2yr Son, 6Mo Daughter Hobbies: Camping, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Snow Boarding.
Santa Barbara, CA.
JOHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
RAC

Hear that Greg??? You're a rock!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Hear that Greg??? You're a rock!
I been told that unce or tice.........
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
RAC

can't smoke a rock.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #11

So if I had 4-6 volt batteries i could hook up 2 batteries in parallel and the other 2 in parallel and then take those 2 sets and wire them in series and have 4 batteries at 12 volts? Then say I did that again and wire the quad sets in parallel, I would still have 12 volts?
My question is, can my TV still haul the TT plus all these batteries and where would I put my beer if all these batteries took up my storage space. The electrical engineer could answer this but what is the structural engineers answer?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilowattkid View Post
So if I had 4-6 volt batteries i could hook up 2 batteries in parallel and the other 2 in parallel and then take those 2 sets and wire them in series and have 4 batteries at 12 volts?
Yes

Quote:
Then say I did that again and wire the quad sets in parallel, I would still have 12 volts?
Yes again

Quote:
My question is, can my TV still haul the TT plus all these batteries and where would I put my beer if all these batteries took up my storage space. The electrical engineer could answer this but what is the structural engineers answer?
I would say the TV could under the following condition:

Take all the food out of the fridge. Use it only for essentials such as beer.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #13

See I knew the electrical guys would know the answer. We must keep our priorities straight, dontcha know.

Tags
battery