Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #1

Dual propane tank holder

Hey folks thanks for browsing my thread. I am debating on getting a double propane holder with cover. I currently have the stock 1 LP tank holder with cover. Nothing is wrong with the single LP just want to make sure if I am out in the sticks for a while. I want to make sure I have enough propane. Currently I have a rPod 179
EJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #2

If it will fit, I think it's a great upgrade. Nothing better than having a second tank and knowing, I have a few days to get the other one swapped out before I run out.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #3

I've considered doing this a lot. I don't have a cover on my single tank. After pricing new parts, the mounting change, etc., I've decided to swap out my 20# single for a 30# single tank. Only expense is the tank and filling it. Since I had done tank swaps in the past (the 15# ripoff!), with a full 30# I'll be doubling my original amount of propane I'm not going with a 40# tank to avoid having to modify the mount for balancing the top heavy tank. I'll keep my old 20# tank filled as a spare, stowed in a storage compartment.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

added tongue weight and the expense with little pay off depending on how and how much you camp. I don't go through two full tanks in an entire season of camping, so would have little pay off for me.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Was

I have 2 tanks and never have to worry about running out of propane or packing a spare tank. I would recommend adding a 2nd tank.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJohnson View Post
Hey folks thanks for browsing my thread. I am debating on getting a double propane holder with cover. I currently have the stock 1 LP tank holder with cover. Nothing is wrong with the single LP just want to make sure if I am out in the sticks for a while. I want to make sure I have enough propane. Currently I have a rPod 179
I'd opt for the single 30# and keep the 20# spare. Not sure what you'd have to modify on the tank hold down, 30's are taller. My mini lite has 2 -30#. 1 season and haven't had to switch to 2nd 30. I take advantage of electric hook up where possible so gas usage is for the fridge while traveling, the stove and occasional furnace, even hot water now and then.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

After our first trip with the TT we added a second tank and an automatic switchover regulator. We travel a lot and the refrigerator is run on LP most of the day. On the first trip the frig ran out of gas and we had to look for a refill place. We added about 37 pounds to the tongue weight but are still within suggested weights.
If you are parked all the time and don't use the frig and heater on lp, some people would want the extra weight. We boondock most of the time.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #8

LP

I would add 2nd 20 lb and an auto switch over as someone said. You can swap out 20 lb. tanks anywhere, the 30s, you have to find a place to fill. I have twin 30s. Went a whole year w/o filling. We got caught in 35 degree weather and when thru 2 full tanks in 4 days. Now have a 1500 watt heater. I have also found that it is cheaper to have them filled where they charge by the pound of propane VS set price for 20 or 30 lb. tank. In TX the cheapest place I have found is Tractor Supply, $1.79 lb.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #9

I had the dealer put in 2 x 20lb. Nice to always have a spare and I use it for my propane fire without worrying about it.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 AM   #10

Quote:
If you install dual tanks make sure you install an automatic changeover regulator.

This will automatically switch over to the second tank and provide you with a red indicator to let you know it has done so.

By swiveling the lever to the good tank you can then disconnect the empty tank to get it filled without having a propane leak.

VERY Handy!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
2nd thought 2 /20# makes sense, especially on an r pod for tongue wt. Thought you were only thinking 30 #. Many stores have a 20# tank exchange, pre filled and you could still carry a third spare if needed. May already have one on a bbq. With 30's I only have them filled at places that charge by the pound. 20's with the auto change over may suit your situation best.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

I never use tank exchanges. My tanks are almost new and I don't want any 20 year old repainted tanks. I also know that almost every tank exchange is now selling tanks that are 3/4 full of lp. A 20 lb tank is designed to hold 20 lbs of lp. I work at a place that sells exchanges, those tanks have 15 lbs of lp in them, it is in the small print on the tank exchange cage.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank