Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Electric Heat Without Furnace

There have been posts about space heaters. Click to see what I do.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
Retired Old Fart

I see people talking about never run an electric space heater while you sleep in the forums. I just don't understand that. Is there some law of physics that makes a space heater sitting safely on the open floor of a trailer more likely to spontaneously combust once you fall asleep? Unless you have a odd design that is "tippy" and there is some force to make it tip, these things are pretty dang stable short of an earthquake shaking the trailer.

Which leads to the follow up question of if electric space heaters are super unsafe and will fall over for no apparent reason, then let's not even discuss the dangers of burning gas in a LP furnace and forcing that heated air around with an electric fan in a furnace.

Sigh.....

Electric heaters are wonderful. Just use common sense in where you sit them and where the cords run. I guess it may matter more if you have children with you though (we are empty nesters).

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I see people talking about never run an electric space heater while you sleep in the forums. I just don't understand that. Is there some law of physics that makes a space heater sitting safely on the open floor of a trailer more likely to spontaneously combust once you fall asleep? Unless you have a odd design that is "tippy" and there is some force to make it tip, these things are pretty dang stable short of an earthquake shaking the trailer.

Which leads to the follow up question of if electric space heaters are super unsafe and will fall over for no apparent reason, then let's not even discuss the dangers of burning gas in a LP furnace and forcing that heated air around with an electric fan in a furnace.

Sigh.....

Electric heaters are wonderful. Just use common sense in where you sit them and where the cords run. I guess it may matter more if you have children with you though (we are empty nesters).

X2, not only are space heaters stable most if not all have safety mechanisms that turn them off if tipped or turned over. Use common sense...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

My five-year-old nephew died in his bed at his home after the safety features of a UL listed 110 volt space heater failed to operate the way they were designed to. The heater wasnít being used improperly and it didnít tip over ó it just caught on fire.

Safety features donít always work.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

I use space heathers for one simple reason and one simple reason only. When camping nightly im not paying the electric bill. both my units have tip over safety devices and I don't see them magically catching on fire. I would think a breaker would trip if something went wrong with the heater.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

I use one often.... One think I am conscious of is the light duty wiring in TTs. With this in mind I usually run it on the 750 watt position mot the 1500 watt setting. Pulling a constant 6.25 amps vs 12.5 is. Less risk of issues....

When the units are manufactured, there a lot of short cuts taken. The sockets and wiring are no where as heavy duty as the same items in your home.......

As previously noted.... common sense.

Be safe.
pbcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

We use a space heater for our heat when at a campground, use their juice. Done so for 15 years. We now have an electric fireplace so we use that now. They do make a retrofit kit that will add electric heat to your propane furnace. But I believe it was expensive.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

I use space heaters for one simple reason and one simple reason only.

When camping nightly I'm not paying the electric bill.

More and more RV parks and campgrounds are starting to charge for electricity for more than one night stays.

And it is because of the popularity of electric heaters, heat pump and AC use that they are doing it.

And, I'm sure, statements like the above on the forums, help them make that decision.

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Site Team

I paid for electricity at a park in Schulenburg, TX in April 2011... but not since. I got triple charged because the clerk couldn't operate her calculator. That problem got fixed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 29; booked = 12
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
my units have tip over safety devices and I don't see them magically catching on fire. I would think a breaker would trip if something went wrong with the heater.
I guess you didnít read my post.

Thereís nothing magical about an electric space heater catching on fire. Breakers arenít designed (or capable) to put fires out and they donít have a brain to let them know if something is wrong with a heater.

Bruce

Tags
electric, furnace