Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Electric Heat Without Furnace

There have been posts about space heaters. Click to see what I do.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
Retired Old Fart

I see people talking about never run an electric space heater while you sleep in the forums. I just don't understand that. Is there some law of physics that makes a space heater sitting safely on the open floor of a trailer more likely to spontaneously combust once you fall asleep? Unless you have a odd design that is "tippy" and there is some force to make it tip, these things are pretty dang stable short of an earthquake shaking the trailer.

Which leads to the follow up question of if electric space heaters are super unsafe and will fall over for no apparent reason, then let's not even discuss the dangers of burning gas in a LP furnace and forcing that heated air around with an electric fan in a furnace.

Sigh.....

Electric heaters are wonderful. Just use common sense in where you sit them and where the cords run. I guess it may matter more if you have children with you though (we are empty nesters).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I see people talking about never run an electric space heater while you sleep in the forums. I just don't understand that. Is there some law of physics that makes a space heater sitting safely on the open floor of a trailer more likely to spontaneously combust once you fall asleep? Unless you have a odd design that is "tippy" and there is some force to make it tip, these things are pretty dang stable short of an earthquake shaking the trailer.

Which leads to the follow up question of if electric space heaters are super unsafe and will fall over for no apparent reason, then let's not even discuss the dangers of burning gas in a LP furnace and forcing that heated air around with an electric fan in a furnace.

Sigh.....

Electric heaters are wonderful. Just use common sense in where you sit them and where the cords run. I guess it may matter more if you have children with you though (we are empty nesters).

X2, not only are space heaters stable most if not all have safety mechanisms that turn them off if tipped or turned over. Use common sense...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

My five-year-old nephew died in his bed at his home after the safety features of a UL listed 110 volt space heater failed to operate the way they were designed to. The heater wasn’t being used improperly and it didn’t tip over — it just caught on fire.

Safety features don’t always work.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

I use space heathers for one simple reason and one simple reason only. When camping nightly im not paying the electric bill. both my units have tip over safety devices and I don't see them magically catching on fire. I would think a breaker would trip if something went wrong with the heater.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

I use one often.... One think I am conscious of is the light duty wiring in TTs. With this in mind I usually run it on the 750 watt position mot the 1500 watt setting. Pulling a constant 6.25 amps vs 12.5 is. Less risk of issues....

When the units are manufactured, there a lot of short cuts taken. The sockets and wiring are no where as heavy duty as the same items in your home.......

As previously noted.... common sense.

Be safe.
pbcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

We use a space heater for our heat when at a campground, use their juice. Done so for 15 years. We now have an electric fireplace so we use that now. They do make a retrofit kit that will add electric heat to your propane furnace. But I believe it was expensive.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post

I use space heaters for one simple reason and one simple reason only.

When camping nightly I'm not paying the electric bill.

More and more RV parks and campgrounds are starting to charge for electricity for more than one night stays.

And it is because of the popularity of electric heaters, heat pump and AC use that they are doing it.

And, I'm sure, statements like the above on the forums, help them make that decision.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Site Team

I paid for electricity at a park in Schulenburg, TX in April 2011... but not since. I got triple charged because the clerk couldn't operate her calculator. That problem got fixed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
my units have tip over safety devices and I don't see them magically catching on fire. I would think a breaker would trip if something went wrong with the heater.
I guess you didn’t read my post.

There’s nothing magical about an electric space heater catching on fire. Breakers aren’t designed (or capable) to put fires out and they don’t have a brain to let them know if something is wrong with a heater.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
More and more RV parks and campgrounds are starting to charge for electricity for more than one night stays.

And it is because of the popularity of electric heaters, heat pump and AC use that they are doing it.

And, I'm sure, statements like the above on the forums, help them make that decision.
Must be a west thing. Never been to a campground where they charged for power, other than 50 being more than 30. I know seasonal sites pay per usage often but not us transients.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

This is very true. Not long ago, just about every campground I visited north of Virginia had both signage and rules stating that electric heaters are not allowed. Those signs and rules, for the most part, have gone away, but site costs have gone up.

One of the reasons rates at campgrounds are less after summer is, the use of electric is less. This is not so much the case anymore due to the fairly recent introduction of heat pumps and fireplaces in RVs, as well as the mindset of those with the “all-you-can-eat” mentality.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I guess you didn’t read my post.

There’s nothing magical about an electric space heater catching on fire. Breakers aren’t designed (or capable) to put fires out and they don’t have a brain to let them know if something is wrong with a heater.

Bruce
While I am sorry for your loss, it's tragic, it is not the normal. People use electric heat, which amounts to an over grown space heater, and millions use gas and oil for heat but nothing goes wrong so I'd say it's pretty safe to use... But houses still blow up from issues or burn down. Nothing is 100%

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
This is very true. Not long ago, just about every campground I visited north of Virginia had both signage and rules stating that electric heaters are not allowed. Those signs and rules, for the most part, have gone away, but site costs have gone up.

One of the reasons rates at campgrounds are less after summer is, the use of electric is less. This is not so much the case anymore due to the fairly recent introduction of heat pumps and fireplaces in RVs, as well as the mindset of those with the “all-you-can-eat” mentality.

Bruce
It's not all you can eat, it's using the campsite you paid for and using my camper I paid for. If the campground can't support it then they raise their rates. I am renting a parking spot from them, and I'll use my comfy camper to be comfy. But that is why it was $25 a night when I was starting camping and it is now 75 or more..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
that is why it was $25 a night when I was starting camping and it is now 75 or more..
Exactly my point.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
While I am sorry for your loss, it's tragic, it is not the normal. People use electric heat, which amounts to an over grown space heater, and millions use gas and oil for heat but nothing goes wrong so I'd say it's pretty safe to use... But houses still blow up from issues or burn down. Nothing is 100%
Thank you for your condolences, but my post wasn’t based on emotion. It was to point out that, even though electric space heaters have various safety features, those safety features aren’t something that can be relied upon. Electric space heaters have always been known, or thought to be, one of the least-safe methods of heating, and considered by many as a last resort for heating. I’m not advocating that nobody should use them — I just think people need to be very careful with them and consider the quality and condition of any unit they plan to use.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

And in our throw away society quality is always suspect.. Just look at the way our campers are made

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Exactly my point.

Bruce
Well there are other factors as to why the prices have gone up beyond power usage. But you do pay to play.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #19

The type of electric space heaters should be of more concern then use . the old fashion heated coil type are a bit more dangerous . the ceramic electric are much safer and i've been using them for 30yrs with out issues . they are small in size and put out great heat . one will keep my unit toasty , and yes i use at night and even during the day when i'm away if i need to keep the unit warm . even if paying for electric it's still cheaper per KWH which varies from location to location but avg is about 9 to 11 cents per KWH of use which is cheaper then propane in the long run .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #20

A persons ideas about danger and risk are funny. This forum is a good example. We don't think anything about towing thousands of miles with the dangers of highway accidents and drunk drivers etc. We don't think anything about running a heating appliance on a gaseous fuel that has caused many horrible explosions and deaths. We climb on on ladders and on top of our RVs without much worry of the dangers of falling. We build fires for ambiance without the worry of severe burns. But heaven help us if we mention that we use a UL listed electric space heater.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, furnace