Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Well, found out that when you stall the motor lifting the trailer, the upper anchor for the struts were bending. Took the whole assy off and added gussets to the strut anchors and while I had it off, decided to add the leg reinforcements I had already cut and formed. Got the whole assy re-installed and now there is no bending of anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	40155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00461.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	40156  
Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Well, found out that when you stall the motor lifting the trailer, the upper anchor for the struts were bending. Took the whole assy off and added gussets to the strut anchors and while I had it off, decided to add the leg reinforcements I had already cut and formed. Got the whole assy re-installed and now there is no bending of anything.
Well I know that you knew that would happen, you just got lazy, but that's okay for an old man like you. You know that short cuts just do not work, How many times have you told me that? Looks good as always, You still going to need that F350 to Pull It... Remember the weight police are reading these post...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well I know that you knew that would happen, you just got lazy, but that's okay for an old man like you. You know that short cuts just do not work, How many times have you told me that? Looks good as always, You still going to need that F350 to Pull It... Remember the weight police are reading these post...
The legs didn't flex, it was the upper strut anchor. Adding the gussets stopped that. Just decided that after cutting the leg reinforcements, I just as well add them and get them out of my way and off the bandsaw where they be laying since I made them. Can't believe how much more solid the trailer is with these jacks. Even without the Bal X Chocks in place, there is no movement whatsoever.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #24

Nice mod! I didn't notice,but what happens on uneven ground? Would you have to shim underneath? Nice work!
New T.V. on list for fall 2013.
Three more trips in Adirondack Park for 2013.
Rondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondacker View Post
Nice mod! I didn't notice,but what happens on uneven ground? Would you have to shim underneath? Nice work!
They self level just like the rears.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Didn't reinforce them, but have the reinforcements cut and ready to go on if needed. No way will I be getting rid of my trusty Silverado 1500. It does a good job regardless of the fact the weight police say it can't. It's kinda like the humming bird, engineering wise, it can't fly, but it doesn't know that so it just goes ahead and flies anyway. 1500 Silverado is just like it.
Oc. I heard that story about the bumblebee. It should not be able to fly. But don't tell it. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #27

This is a very sweet idea, I have a 2008 30 LE and with the stabalizers down I still feel everystep my wife makes in the kitchen when in the bedroom and going out the door is worst then anything. I think this would be perfect. Great idea Oldcoot.
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynenichols View Post
This is a very sweet idea, I have a 2008 30 LE and with the stabalizers down I still feel everystep my wife makes in the kitchen when in the bedroom and going out the door is worst then anything. I think this would be perfect. Great idea Oldcoot.
I also have a step support that takes the shake out of walking up or down the steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00326.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	40198  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #29

you guys crack me up

Good thing you'all are friends! You crack me up...
OldCoot, what length and weight is your TT? My Surveyor is 25' long and 5000lbs loaded. Do you think just manual scissors jacks, one before and one after the axles, would help with movement? I would rather do that to start than do the superb, and probably more than I can afford, job you did with your new setup. I'm like a cat on my feet and my lovely wife likes to tromp around so anything will help!
She was kind enough to help me wash and wax the trailer over the last couple of days and geez what a job that was. Good thing we're only doing that twice a year! Haven't done the roof yet, sigh.
Take care, happy camping everybody!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

BTW Thanks for the kind words. We have a 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS which I think is 31'. I would put both scissor jacks in front of the axles (one on each side) on the 2x4 tube going across the trailer.

p.s. Don't have any idea what the trailer weights and really don't care. Can't or won't change anything on the trailer and I'm sure not going to buy a new truck.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #31

Thanks

Thanks Oldcoot! I value all of you old guys opinions and expertise! (I'm 63 and it's surprising how odd a number that is in your head, can I really be that old?)
Pete

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1655 View Post
Thanks Oldcoot! I value all of you old guys opinions and expertise! (I'm 63 and it's surprising how odd a number that is in your head, can I really be that old?)
Pete
Got you by 10 yrs. Was 73 in Jul.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #33
Always Learning

OldCoot, how has this worked out for you now that you've been down in Florida for a couple of months?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
OldCoot, how has this worked out for you now that you've been down in Florida for a couple of months?
The straps bowed out so I took them off and straightened them. After a couple of weeks, they were bowing again. Took them off and measured between the mount holes and re-drilled them @ 13.5" cl to cl instead of the factory 14" and they haven't bowed since. I am still going to make 4 of them out of 3/4" black pipe with smashed ends when I get home. But all in all, it sure helps with the stability of the trailer.

Tags
axle, jacks, electric