Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Electric stabilizer switch upgrade

Here's a great upgrade for those pesky electric stabilizer switches. Mine have worked intermittently since I pulled the trailer, 317BHSK Solaire Eclipse, off the lot. The last two times out I had to manually crank them down. They retracted with the switch. When I got home they worked again. ENOUGH ALREADY!!! I dug into my marine electrical parts box and grabbed two Carling Contura series DPDT momentary rocker switches. The are the same size as the original switches but of much better quality. Very simple to wire in and will likely provide many more years of service. If anyone needs pictures I will take some and post or PM me and I can send them that way too. Hope this helps.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Team

It would be great if you could post a few pics of them. That way everybody benefits from them.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

As soon as I get finished packing for the weekend trip I will get some posted. Heading to Cherrystone on the Chesapeake bay for the weekend.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

yes, a few photos would be great. I would be interested in re-locating this switch on my 2015 Solera. Its inside of a exterior cargo space. Its very secure and dry in there but it would be nice to have it located on the exterior of the coach with a watertight switch with a cover. Any ideas?
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445611501.502776.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	92574Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445611512.783072.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	92575
Here are the pics of the front and back. The blue wires cross cross from the upper terminals to the lower terminals. The motor wires to piggyback connectors on the lower terminals. This arrangement reverses the positive and negative to the motor to make it go up and down. Positive and negative go to the middle terminals. Polarity can be switched by simply changing the terminals the motor or positive and negative wires go to. This will make the stabilizers extend and retract according to the label on your switch holder. The upper most terminals are unused in my application. They are for backlighting if desired. The switch cover that says accessory can be blank. I just had these laying around so I used them. Nothing like spare parts. Almost makes it feel free. The switch body is waterproof so the internals cannot get wet. The wire connections can get wet the way I have it but shouldn't cause any immediate problems. I hit them with a corrosion resistant spray to help on that end. These are typically used on boats and I have seen some on big rigs and other rv's. Don't have a part number but the arrangement needed is DPDT momentary. Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shamey all over you, according to the TURBS, you also mounted the compartments upside down with the doors down like I did. Do you think maybe the great TURBS is the one that has it all wrong?

Correction. I did not mount those doors. Forest River did. All I removed was the switch. One way is not right or wrong. It's a matter of preference. I personally like them folding down. Open them and hit the switch. Don't have to hold the door open too. I'm sure Turbs has had some catastrophe with a small plastic door falling open and ripping the side of his camper off. LOL. Mine have never opened while under way though so I'm gonna leave them. Oh yeah, those jacks are 12V. Not sure if you were talking about mine or something else. This thread has gotten high jacked so I'm not really sure what I'm replying to.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445619288.886917.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	92596
Plus lippert put this sticker on it intending it to be mounted this way.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Okie Dokie, the site team is going to temporarily close this one for a few minutes to do an off-topic cleanup here. Most likely going to move all the off-topic banter over to the Phrog Pond, where it is free to continue.

Will be back shortly.

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ok this one is being opened back up again. Please keep the posts pertaining to PMickey's upgrade.

BTW PMickey, my rear electric stabilizer switch has the same problems as yours, and I am very interested in your solution.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

I had what I thought was a balky switch some time ago. I loaded up the full length of the drive screw with lithium grease and it works fine - all the time. I think the motor would sense some resistance and quit - perhaps some corrosion on the drive screw. Anyhow, I keep it greased up every now and then and it works good. For what it's worth. Ken
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Been using dry lube here.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

It looks like OP's switch is mounted down in the skirt area where the back side is exposed to all the elements thrown from the tires. Maybe a shield of some kind could be fabricated and waterproofed.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Silicone comes in caulking tubes.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post
I had what I thought was a balky switch some time ago. I loaded up the full length of the drive screw with lithium grease and it works fine - all the time. I think the motor would sense some resistance and quit - perhaps some corrosion on the drive screw. Anyhow, I keep it greased up every now and then and it works good. For what it's worth. Ken

Mine was definitely the switch but a good lube job on those and the slides is a great idea. What are the recommended intervals for those items? I like the idea of dry lube. I use it on my woodworking tools and also on my fold out steps on the camper. They always work smooth and collect no dirt.

Tags
electric, upgrade