Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Electric Tongue Jack

I have a 2012 rockwood mini light 2104. i am wanting to upgarde to an electric tongue jack. When looking around i see numerous brands and weights. Is there a min or max i should be looking at? I found a 3000 barker for 220 is that decent? how to i determine which weight i should get for my camper? would like to get one and have it for this weekends camping trip if possible.
__________________

__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Member
 
Auto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lanesboro, Ma
Posts: 74
I just installed the Barker 3000 on my flagstaff 831bhds. My tongue weight is in the 1000 lbs range and the jack works great. I replaced a LCI jack that came with the unit. I purchased mine off EBay for $209 shipped and it was at my house in two days. One feature that is nice about the Barker that my other jack could not do is the head unit can rotate 90 degrees. This allows for the clearance on the tail gate you need to open it while hooked up.
__________________

__________________
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
Is there a min or max i should be looking at? I found a 3000 barker for 220 is that decent? how to i determine which weight i should get for my camper? would like to get one and have it for this weekends camping trip if possible.
I have a Barker 3500vip and my TW is around 650-700. Remember that you are picking up more than just the tongue. The jack also needs to lift the back of your truck a bit to get your bars hooked up.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Member
 
Auto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lanesboro, Ma
Posts: 74
I would have went with the 3500 but was afraid that the jack shaft would not fit in the existing hole of my trailer hitch Turns out I was wrong. On the the plus side I have a Reece Duel cam and can hook up with out the need to lift the rear of my truck with the jack.
__________________
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I have a Barker 3500vip and my TW is around 650-700. Remember that you are picking up more than just the tongue. The jack also needs to lift the back of your truck a bit to get your bars hooked up.
Thats is the one i am looking at..its a barker 3500 vip 24inch..i dont recall what the tongue weight is for mine TT but from what i have researched i noticed the barker is being used for alot bigger units than mine is.
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
You'll like the Barker. Leagues better than the LCI it replaced on my trailer.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto4 View Post
I just installed the Barker 3000 on my flagstaff 831bhds. My tongue weight is in the 1000 lbs range and the jack works great. I replaced a LCI jack that came with the unit. I purchased mine off EBay for $209 shipped and it was at my house in two days. One feature that is nice about the Barker that my other jack could not do is the head unit can rotate 90 degrees. This allows for the clearance on the tail gate you need to open it while hooked up.
this can rotate once it is installed? i pull with a dodge grand caravan and right now i cant open the back end at all when hitched. that would be very handy feature for me.

i measured the hole on my TT and it looks like it is a 2 1/4. where is the emergency crank located? on the front or side?
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
You'll like the Barker. Leagues better than the LCI it replaced on my trailer.
looks to be a highly recommended brand.. when i first searched i looked at what is rated highly first and then go from there... is it necessary to get a cover for it? mine sits outside all year.
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
I cover mine in the winter. I suppose I could put a bag on it during the summer but I'm not convinced of the need for one.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
i pull with a dodge grand caravan
:

first, i can't let your post go without commenting, due to safety for you and your family.

the fictional "dry" weight of the 2104 is 3419lbs. that's without the weight of "options" like awning, a/c, oven, microwave, spare tire and so on. my Roo 23SS weighed 400lbs. over its "dry" weight when it left the factory with these basic "options".
then you add the weight of cargo, battery, propane and water and you'll easily be over the 3500 or 3600lbs. tow capacity of the Grand Caravan.

i just felt you should know in case you didn't.
if you already are aware and still choose to tow it with a minivan...
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.