Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #1

Entertainment Center and TV Mod On a 2006 8314 ss

This is the original set up, the TV pocket is 23'W x 24'H x20'D. With Concertone stereo and storage. The next pic shows the TV bracket I had to pre fab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	factory set up.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	793  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #2

pic #2 pre fab TV Bracket
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front image of pre fab tv support # 1.JPG
Views:	820
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	794  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #3

pic #3 side view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side image of pre fab tv support # 2.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	795  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #4

pic #4 the base view, the red dots are a fix part of the bracket, the blue dot is design to slide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side image of pre fab tv support # 3.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	796  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #5

pic #5 shows the TV bracket installed in the modified entertainment center: note that the two right cabinet doors have been changed.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #6

pic #5
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pre fab tv support in mod E.C..JPG
Views:	773
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	797  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #7

pic #6 new TV installed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv installed in mod E.C..JPG
Views:	905
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	798  
Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #8

pic #7 Mod complete. I changed the entertainment center from a 20" TV to a 32" TV. The only thing that is not in place yet is the DVD player. All electrical and TV connections where pulled down to the right hand cabinet, If I have to make changes it would be easier to do it here. If I need to get behind the TV the bracket is design to slide forward with the TV on it. I tested it and it will slide out. The TV is a 32" Vizio it is 4.9" thick and weighs 30 lbs, all of the connections for electrical and components hook-up are located on the bottom center in the back which is perfect for this design. The reason for change is that the TV is in the middle of the camper and a 20" TV has trouble contending with the Dometic A/c system because it is too load and the A/C system is over top of the entertainment center and the seating area is in the back of the camper, with a bigger TV it has bigger speakers so there is more volume control and the TV is easier to see. As far as Concertone go's, I have replaced it with a Bose Ipod dock. A Bose 5.1 will be installed at a later date. As far as DVD storage, the new component cabinet has 1/4" plexiglass selves that are adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	compleled mod.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	799  
Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Bona fide Nut job

Nice work! How hard was it to demo the divider to give enough room for the LCD? I'm thinking about redoing the entertainment center in my TT, but I'm curious as to how "well" it is built.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #10

There was no problem with demo, for the most part they are screwed together. You will find the screws on the back side where any two pieces meet. After you remove the screws then all you have to deal with are the staples that hold the paneled material to the small supports. I suggest to look over everything that you want to remove before you start.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #11

I need to get a DVD player that is 16.5" wide or less. It seems that the standard is 17". The only one I was able to find is a Philips 3660 with HDMI. I checked the reviews on the Philips and it is rated 4 stars out of 5. I never had this product before. The reason for this is because when I made the mod to the entertainment center I put the component section down on the right side cabinet where you see the openning. I added a wall between the cabinet doors so that anything that was stored on the left side would not fall into the electronics. So I was wondering If anyone knew of a different manufacture of DVD players other then Philips? I checked around an was not able to find something different. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #12

Awesome job!!
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #13

Thanks Cmprguy, it took me a week to come up with a plan, I had the material but just had to mix it with my brain.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #14

Two pic to show the finished mod. The first pic shows the components in place, I had to order the DVD player on line because everyone was out of stock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	com#1.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	812  
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #15

The second pic shows all wiring was hidden behind a piece of blue material that was installed on a spring loaded curtain rod, I installed two LED push on/push off battery operated lights on the side wall so that there would not be any glare when the cabinet door was closed, it is hard to see by the pic but the light gives off a blue tint. Behind the curtain the is a surge protector for all components, If you look up to the upper right corner you will see where the antenna connections are, this is a duel connector one for " antenna and one for cable/ satellite ". Any and all changes can be made in this area, and finally, I installed a piece of 1/4 " plexiglass in the cabinet door and there is storage for Dvds where the remotes are. I tried to post pic as changes were made so it would be easy to follow, I hope no one is confused.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	com#2.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	813  
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #16

Rockwood06 - I appreciate it when someone takes my idea and brings it to reality! I'm wondering what, if anything, you did to reinforce the cabinetry and where u'd suggest for slide materials (i'd bet it was leftover from another project(s) and not stuff you'd find at the box-store!).
You even have the same set i'm going to use.
but.......... as we're not full-timing yet, i can't justify leaving the TV in the trailer all the time.. and it'll have a 2nd home in my shop.
Any suggestions for using a removable mount with similar bracketry?
My concertone isn't giving me fits yet, so i was going to retain it and just suppliment with Dish....
(the old set will get mounted outside to catch NASCAR & NFL!)
Thanks!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
Rockwood06 - I appreciate it when someone takes my idea and brings it to reality! I'm wondering what, if anything, you did to reinforce the cabinetry and where u'd suggest for slide materials (i'd bet it was leftover from another project(s) and not stuff you'd find at the box-store!).
You even have the same set i'm going to use.
but.......... as we're not full-timing yet, i can't justify leaving the TV in the trailer all the time.. and it'll have a 2nd home in my shop.
Any suggestions for using a removable mount with similar bracketry?
My concertone isn't giving me fits yet, so i was going to retain it and just suppliment with Dish....
(the old set will get mounted outside to catch NASCAR & NFL!)
Thanks!

Well first off, to FRF. As far as reinforcing the bottom of the cabinet to hold the tv, I used the same material that was used to build the rack. If you look at the pic that shows the dvd player and the satallite receiver you can see it, one of two that I installed. Now if you look under yours from the cabinet below you will see two dark square pieces of wood, one on the front side and one on the back side, both of these pieces of wood are screwed down into solid wood. When I cut the metal for the bottom support I made sure the the metal was resting on top of the two dark pieces of wood so when I added the tv rack and secured it with bolts it would draw the bottom supports up and squeeze the bottom supports and the bottom of the tv rack against the dark square pieces of wood. The rack was design to be installed in this maner. This rack with the tv on it will slide forward so I can access the bottom where all the connection are and unlock the tv so it can be removed. If you look at the pic that show the rack fully assembled you will see red and blue dots, this explains how it works. I had a lot of thinking to do when I built this to get it to work, and so far it has not moved at all. This design was built from scratch, nothing left over from any other project. As far as the brand of tv, It is great. I you have any other question please ask, I would be more then glad to help, if you need better pic I can help with that too.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #18

thanks! (i've lurked a while...so i'm not really new.. just don't post much. Think i sometimes learn more by listening...)
What type of aluminum track is that? I don't recall seeing much around that would work for something like this.
I like that 'pull out to access the connections' concept too! as tight as this fits, seems that'd be a MUST.
If u have any additional pics... please email them! (woody9-at-mwt.net).
Thanks!
Jim
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
2x Forest River Owner

Good Lord!! That mount looks like it would withstand a nuclear blast!! Great job, looks VERY nice.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
thanks! (i've lurked a while...so i'm not really new.. just don't post much. Think i sometimes learn more by listening...)
What type of aluminum track is that? I don't recall seeing much around that would work for something like this.
I like that 'pull out to access the connections' concept too! as tight as this fits, seems that'd be a MUST.
If u have any additional pics... please email them! (woody9-at-mwt.net).
Thanks!
Jim

The material that you see is not aluminum, It is steel. This steel bracket is used to support electrical conduit, plumping etc.etc a long walls, floors and ceilings and it can be constructed to where it can stand alone. You can buy it at Lowe's and it is in the Electrical section. I will take some extra pic and send them to you, just give a day or two, I am getting ready to set my camper on a seasonal site Thursday.