Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Member

Ever buy used batteries?

Hiya,

I was at my local battery store yesterday shopping for a replacement for the cheap combo battery that the RV place hung on the nose of my camper. I want a real deep cycle battery, group 27 or 31, that will last a bit longer when I'm out dry camping.

He had decently priced versions of both sizes of batteries that I am considering but he also had something else.

He had just taken in several pallettes of AGM 140 AH 12 volt batteries that were 3 years old and apparantly in great shape (meaning no cycles on them). He said he needed $65 for one and would warranty it for a year.

I've done business with these folks in the past and they have always been very reputable so I'm looking for some advice. Would you consider this a good deal? I would never spend the money ($300 or so) on a new AGM battery, but this opportunity looks good.

Any thoughts?

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

I don't know. What if in a few months it runs down quick. Whats he going to do? Give you another one of the same? Sounds like a gamble but it might be worth it to save some dough..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
He said he needed $65 for one and would warranty it for a year.
I would definietely find out what that warranty covers. Money back, replacement, or store credit? Is it pro-rated?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Grumpy Old Member

Yep, I'll have him be more specific about what he'll stand behind and I'm going to bring my multimeter along with me. I'm curious about how these batteries are holding their voltages. They've apparently been sitting for a while in his dock area, stacked, covered, but definitely not charged.

From what I've been reading here and around the net (and you know that if you read it on the net, it has to be true. ) AGM's are durable, very hard to kill.

We'll see.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Well, you can tell the current state of charge, but you won't be able to tell how long they've been that way. Just because they've had "no cycles" doesn't mean they're in great shape. All you have to do is let a battery sit in even a partially discharged state for a period of time and it will sulphate. 3 years? If there was documentation on how often they were topped off, or were on a trickle charging system, maybe. Otherwise I'd stay away from them.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery