Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #21

Got it!

BTW your DW sounds like mine. "Turn up the heat"

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #22

used it, and love it

we got home today from a weekend trip, .... had just expected to be using the new Y adapter for our heaters, ... cause of course it is still winter here, but a quick temp change gave us the opportunity to use the new ac extension cord/toggle switch system, ... couldn't be more satisfied with how well it worked, ... yep, we're going to be happy with this one, .... hurry up summer, ........

another thing I did paid attention to on this trip was extension cord use by my fellow campers, ... since the critics and naysayers find my extension cord use as, dangerous, not wise, even stupid I guess, I wanted to see how other campers felt about using extension cords as another source of power, ... of the twelve units(tt's, 5ers and mh's) in the cg, six had extension cords coming from their power poles, ... and on four of the six, I could actually see two extension cords coming from their power poles, ... so I sure don't feel like I'm out in the wilderness alone, when I'm using my extension cord/cords, ... happy trailering with safe and wise extension cord use, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	162340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	162341  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #23

I like your power solution and use of project boxes for your fuse covers, what type of fuses are you using? Sorry if I missed that in a earlier post!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
I like your power solution and use of project boxes for your fuse covers, what type of fuses are you using? ....
thank you, ... using 20A 1/4" x 1 1/4" glass quick blow ....

Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Got it!

BTW your DW sounds like mine. "Turn up the heat"
THEY all say that, give me a woman that wont say that and is willing to put up hay mow the lawn and clean stalls I will do the cooking
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
thank you, ... using 20A 1/4" x 1 1/4" glass quick blow ....
Where did you find them at?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #27

Is this what you have for a fuse?
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
each inline fuse holder came with one 20a fuse, so that's the fuses I'm using right now, do need to get some spares, just haven't yet, ... they came from Lowes, ...

the inline fuses are installed inside the "project boxes" that I found on Amazon, ...

Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #29

Quote:
so what are the cords for?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #30
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

This is interesting stuff!

I would like to do something similar as I have recently found myself full-timing in my 5'ver with my four cats after giving the wife of 32 years the boot and selling the house, quitting my job and hitting the road!

I spent two months in the deep freeze of Denver before I left for New Mexico one month ago and had all kinds of power issues.

Since I have the 'kids' (cats), I need to keep the RV warm in the winter and cool in the heat!

Right now I'm just trying different places to see where I might decide to plant my roots to start a new life!

While still in Denver I was using the two 20 amp plugs on the power pedistal to run heat tape on the sewer drain pipes, water spicket and a heated hose, so they probably wouldn't handle any electric heaters along with those plugged in.

Now that I have my first winter under my belt, I have a few months to work out some details!

However...deep freeze and snow are most likely not in my forecast!

Thanks for the ideas!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #31

Quote:
so what are the cords for?
?? ... not exactly sure what you're asking, ... what/which cords?

Old 04-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #32

these cords and where did you find them and what is the reason for them?
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
these cords and where did you find them and what is the reason for them?
these are 30a to 15a adapters, ... one is a single, the other is a "Y", ... in our favorite cg, I was using a single extension cord, plugged into the 110 outlet on the cg power pole to power our two small heaters, ... the cg flooded from hurricane Matthew, since then most of the 110 outlets don't work, but the 30a and 50a outlets still do, ... so I started using the single 30to15 adapter for my heater extension cord,(I put the trailer 30a cord in the 50a with a 50to30 adapter), ... DW wanted a dedicated heater for the bathroom, so I needed two extension cords and that's when I got the "Y", ... and that's when I realized, that when the adapter is plugged into the 30a female on the power pole, that will allow up to 30a to get to those 15a wires, ... so there's no overload protection for those 15a wires or any extension cord or anything else that might be plugged into those 15a ends on the adapters, ... that's why I installed the 20a inline fuses onto both adapters, ... now they have overload protection that satisfies me, ...

I've explained all of this earlier in this thread, and I don't want to go thru it again with another naysayer, ... there is nothing on either of those adapters that you can point to and say there is the fuse or there is the breaker that protects this wire from overload, ... some have said the company wouldn't put out a product like that, suggesting that it must be there, we just can't see it, ... if that's the case, if you ever experience over load that blows the "hidden" fuse or trips the "hidden" breaker, then the adapter is useless and must be thrown away and replaced because you can't replace a fuse if you don't know where it is, ... that's not hard to understand, but some folks just don't, ...

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
​That is, ... have you ever wanted to get rid of your ac's amp load on ​the 30A system? ... We have a 2015 Micro Lite 25KS with 13.5k ac, and yes, I have wanted to, ....

Since we don't use or carry propane, all cooking and heating is electric. ..... Last winter, I ​started using​
a​ #12​
extension cord to power our two ​small​
heaters ​to​
take them off the 30A system. That has worked ​perfectly​
, but this winter DW has decided she needed another heater dedicated to the bathroom only, so the room will be warm(​very very warm) when she gets out of the shower.
​ ... I've run​
a second cord thru the hatch cover to power that heater ​as well​

. ​..... ​
Doing that ​reminded me of​
the discussions on the forum about what folks can and cannot use at the same time the ac is running (microwave, coffee pot, hair drier, hot plate, ect)​, ​
so I decided to​ see if I could​
take ​the ac off the ​30A​
system ​also​

I could and did, .....now, with a DPDT toggle switch I can isolate the ac from the 30A system and can use the same extension cord feed that's used for the heaters, to power the ac in the summer. .... Plus, with a flip of the switch, I can go back to the 30A trailer system at any time there's a reason to do so (we've been to more than one cg that had only a single 30A female on their power pole, nothing else)

This mod works great and is actually not too difficult to do, just a lot of aggravation because of the confined space I had to work in, ... I've also added 20A inline fuses to my 30A to 15A adapters, because using them like I do, the lines are not protected by the 30A circuit breaker, ... IMO we do mods to make our trailer time more comfortable and/or enjoyable, and this is one we're certainly going to be happy with. ....

happy trailering without ac, ....... well, you know what I mean ......
The bathroom is the last place where I would have an electric space heater plugged into an extension cord not protected by a GFCI, same in the kitchen near the sink.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote