Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Exterior LED Lighting Question

Just got home from our first extended excursion in our XLR 380 AMP. Trailer is awesome with the exception of one thing. We do not have a porch light. We have blue awning lights which we can turn on even with the awning rolled up but they give off a nice ambient light but nothing more. We have very bright white LED lights in the Front, Rear and Opposite of the door side but no lighting on the door/activity side. There is a place in our panel marked Porch but no switch, and no lights outside. I've already planned on adding some blue lighting for the steps that I can wire in to the awing lights for accent, but not sure what to do for exterior white. I really don't want to drill a hole into the side of the trailer to mount lights so I was thinking about wiring some white led strips along the underside of the trailer, but not sure if it would be too bright when sitting outside. Anyone have any recommendations or first hand experience with extra lighting for the outside.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkchriston View Post
I really don't want to drill a hole into the side of the trailer to mount lights

I used to feel the same way, till I realized that the factory drilled dozens of holes (or more) in the side of my trailer. Pretty sure that anything they can do, I can do better (by taking my time and planning ahead). In short, my suggestion is to install the lights that should have been...or at least have it done by a shop.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

Exterior LED Lighting Question

Several options you can use.
There are several types of LED light strips.
The least lumen (light) output for LEDs are 3528 next 5050 then a little more lumens would be the 5630.
Then look for the "temperature". That would be how warm or white looking the light would be. A temperature of 2700k would be like an incandescent light bulb, kinda like a yellowish color. Over 3700k will be more blueish white and over 5000k would be very whiteish and harsh on the eyes
A 2700k is easy on the eyes and good for outside lighting to brighten things up without hurting ones eyes, these are like an automotive light bulb.
As for the type of LED I would suggest the 3528. They are not as bright but then again it is determined by how many little LEDs you put up.
If I can help with any questions PM me anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

After a little thinking you can use a higher lumen and install a small LED dimmer to suit your desired light output

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
More LED

x2 Wrapperman. The brighter ones on a dimmer will allow you to have more or less light as the need dictates! Dimmers are cheap on fleabay or Amazon. You can get them in a wireless format, allowing you to pop on the lights as you return "home" Also cheap are the 12v photocells that turn them on when it gets dark!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, led, light