Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

Exterior propane quick disconnect to connect to weber q

I am looking for an adaptor hose that I can connect my weber q grill to the exterior propane quick disconnect on my 2011 Cherokee Wolf Pack 27WP. The weber q currently uses the disposable propane cylinders. The quick disconnect on the trailer is a Couple safe model 250. Is anyone out there using their Weber Q from the exterior propane connection?

Thanks

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. 5.7 Hemi, Helwig 2500lb springs, Bilstein shocks, Superchips Flashpaq.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #2

I had a hose made up at a local trailer/camping shop which had a male quick connect on one end and a female end on the other. You have to remove the regulator from the grill and connect the hose to where the regulator was. You should be good to go after that.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

Many gas supply companies should be able to fix you up, as well as commercial hose companies-- those that sell hoses and fittings for almost any eqipment such as
neumatic operations.
Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks guys. It looks like something I will get made vs. Buying something off the shelf.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. 5.7 Hemi, Helwig 2500lb springs, Bilstein shocks, Superchips Flashpaq.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

20/pounder

I bring along an extra 20 pound tank and use a basic adater hose made to replace the small canister , it was like $20 at a local hardware store.
I also use it for lanterns and back up camp stove.
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #6

Propane connector Caution!

You have to be aware that the quick connector on all newer trailers is considered a "LOW PRESSURE" system. (as well the whole trailer runs on LOw Pressure) your aftermarket BBQ is High pressure. Even with the Regulator removed the exacting pressure may not be reached sacrificing saftey and performance of the BBQ. I did extensive research on this topic and I belive there may be a thread on here about it too. The reason a readily made connection hose is not available is because of this reason.
I also went with a extra tank and the commonly available tee off and tree that hooks directly to your exisiting regulator and therfore is safe to use. Alternatively you could run a new high pressure line all the way back from your propane tanks and make your own high pressure tee off (I considered it) that way no extra tank but costs became a factor so I decided against it.
We use the outdoor kitchen exclusively, as well I have a second RV fridge that stays outdoors under the awning so it's close to where we cook. It runs off the extra tank also.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Anacortesians

There have been a number of posts on various RV forums about very high temperatures on Weber Q when running off the RV's system. They're all from folks who have hooked in downstream of the system regulator in the RV.

The grill's own regulator is specifically set up for its performance needs whereas the RV regulator controls pressure for the fridge, cook-top, water heater and furnace.

If you really want to connect to the RV supply, it should hook up upstream of the regulator, then leave the grill's regulator in place. Then, as Ron points out, you've got a long flexible line with the unregulated tank pressure in it.

A portable 5-gallon/20-pound bottle, like larger bbq's use is probably the best option. You can get floor-mountable retaining rings to hold the bottle in a stow bin while travelling.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #8

Good info guys. I have the hose that hooks to the 20lb tank that connects to the bbq. I was just trying to minimize the number of things that I have to bring along.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Anacortesians

On reflection, maybe you could install a short CRS tube that tees into the house gas line upstream of the regulator, with a quick release on the end. If you then remove the grill's regulator and make it match that quick release, you could plug it into the quick-release and run a low-pressure flexible hose to the grill.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrieau View Post
I bring along an extra 20 pound tank and use a basic adater hose made to replace the small canister , it was like $20 at a local hardware store.
I also use it for lanterns and back up camp stove.
This is what we do, also. We purchased the adapter at Walmart.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I just seen them at our local rv store 14.00 for the pair.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #12

It is also peace of mind knowing u have back up propane supply, when camping and at home.
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

My family was in the propane business for @40 years. Here in Tx., any modifications to the propane system on a trailer, other than what came from the manufacturer, such as installing a direct high pressure line from the rv tanks for hooking up to a grill, stove, ect., is considered against the law according to the Texas Railroad Commission. The 20lb bottle with the tree and hose attachment is what we use.
starnes550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnes550 View Post
My family was in the propane business for @40 years. Here in Tx., any modifications to the propane system on a trailer, other than what came from the manufacturer, such as installing a direct high pressure line from the rv tanks for hooking up to a grill, stove, ect., is considered against the law according to the Texas Railroad Commission. The 20lb bottle with the tree and hose attachment is what we use.

whats the texas railroad system got to do with a camper ?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #15

The Tx Railroad Commission is the governing body over LP gas systems here. Sorry, should have stated that earlier. May be different in other states, but you may still want to check on the legality of modifying an existing an already inspected and approved system. May save a headache or ticket later on.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I am just wondering "who" is going to know you changed it ? Or "added" to it .
Gee I would hate for the ole train conductor to pull me over and check my gas plumbing on my 5er .

"By the way sir your camper made 14 states away wasn't supposed to have this here fitting that wasn't previously inspected by my coal shovel guy" " I got the non existing propane blue prints out from forest river and see this here fitting isn't on it" !

Oh boy its going to be a long weekend for me ........

sorry but I am on a roll!

have a great day
Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #17

I'm not saying that a state trooper is going to pull you over because he notices a new gas pipe on your trailer. But TT's here are required to get state inspections every year, probably in Iowa too, and one thing that they inspect here is the LP gas system, both for safety and modifications. Now, is the local dealership where you get it inspected going to write you a ticket? I doubt it, but they probably won't give you an inspection sticker either, and troopers will write tickets for that. I had actually thought about running a line with a quick connect on it for my Coleman grill and camp stove under the Wildwood we had, but my FR dealer was the one who reminded me of the regulation against it.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #18

Has anyone run a hard line from their tanks to (wherever) and just put the same kind of fitting that's on the top of the tank? Forget the "quick disconnect"-by using the same fitting that's on your tank, you could hook up a full sized BBQ grill, or the hose that adapts down to the small cylinders for the tree/lantern/portable stove, or a turkey fryer, or anything else that normally hooks up to a LPG cylinder. Yes? Good idea, bad idea, will the RR Police come after me? (Sorry dude, I'm also a train guy, but that's just too funny!)
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote