Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

External Fuel tanks

What should I get for a external fuel tank for my Champion 3500 watt Inverter, a little confused on the matter. I have seen gravity feed tanks and so forth but would like every-bodies input that applies. Thanks, Bob

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Champions don't have a fuel pump, so you either need to install the mod to be able to use a nurse tank or use gravity feed. Just google champion generator fuel tank mod for details.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

This is what I did.....http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...en-117775.html

I have around 125 hours on this setup without problems. Mime are the 2000 watts, but may be similar to the 3500.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

There's some you tube videos out there on what others have done also.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #5

I just purchased a 3500W Champion inverter with dual fuel capability.

If I recall their data correctly it runs for about 7hrs on 50% load when running off the on board tank. It will run around 15 hours on a 20# propane tank. Their regulator/hose setup is long enough to work with a 30# tank as well.

Unless I'm camping at high altitude and need the extra power from the gasoline operation (3500 W on gas, 3100 W on Propane), or only need AC for a short while, I'll run on gasoline. For extended runs I'll use the propane. I have two 20# tanks for the generator. Difference in fuel cost is somewhere in the realm of $0.20 per hour but on a cold and rainy day well worth it if I don't have to go out and refuel.

There is a kit sold here for $249 that adds a fuel pump to the inverter generator (advertised for 3100 but I believe much is the same on the larger rated unit)

Extended Run Time Remote Fuel Tank Kit For Champion 3100 Watt Generator - Pinellas Power Products - Portable Generator Extended Fuel Systems & Wireless Remote Control

For the money, and because I run my generator in the bed of my TV, I'll just get a 30-40# horizontal tank and install it in the front of the bed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

The more I think about it the more peed off I get. I got the 3500 because generators installed in 30 amp service 5th whls are normally 4000 onan from what I have seen. I figured that would be enough to run the AC, frig and TV which it barely does...it works hard plus the fuel tank is 1.6 gal which barely gets me 3 hrs. Then I find out theirs no fuel pump, I mean really?

I guess I messed this one all up and I should of did more research

Think I will see if I can unload this thing to somebody who could use it on a construction site or something else.

Probably be better off getting 2 of the Honda 2000's

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post

Probably be better off getting 2 of the Honda 2000's
The 2000 watt rating of the Honda's is peak output only. Continuous is only 1600 watts. Two Honda's will give you 3200 watts continuous.

The Champion 3500 Watt is rated 3100 watts continuous. Honda's are twice the price for only 100 watts more in continuous output. Two gas tanks to fill and parallel adapter to deal with at every setup.

It sounds like you may have a 15,000 BTU A/C unit or are charging batteries while running refrigerator, TV, and A/C.

Battery charging can add an extra 500-600 watts to the load during the initial charge phase. With my old trailer I'd start the generator earlier, before the day heated up, and get a good charge on the batteries so the charge current had dropped before trying to run the A/C. I also left the refrigerator on Propane although I realize that refrigerators vary in capabilities.

One more small item that I think many overlook. The fuel you use in your generator. While today's generators are built to use E-10 (up to 10% Ethanol) fuel, that alcohol in the fuel doesn't contain as much heat energy as straight gasoline. In an engine that is running at it's maximum output that small amount of lost energy in the fuel can make a difference. Same as when running on propane a 3500 watt inverter is only rated fro 3100 watts.

I don't worry about Ethanol Free fuel for my tow vehicle as I have plenty of HP in reserve but for my generator I might consider filling my gas containers with some. Especially if I need to run the genset at max output.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

I wouldn't sweat "working hard". It either does it or it doesn't. It's made to work, and even so "working hard" is only perception.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank