Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Extra Cabinet Space

If you check within the cabinetry under your sink, and inside your cabinetry under the closet you will find "fake" walls that hide wiring and misc. These "fake" walls in my trailer were installed with several inches of unnecessary extra space. You can take back that space by unscrewing the wood screws that hold the wall up , pushing the wall back (right up against the tubes/wires) and then screwing it back into place. I found this especially helpful under the bathroom sink.

Gear:02' Jeep Grand Cherokee, K&N FIPKII Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip Stage II.
07' Rockwood 2701SS
Hensley Arrow Hitch
TruControl Brake Controller
Score: Wife, 2 Kids: 2yr Son, 6Mo Daughter Hobbies: Camping, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Snow Boarding.
Santa Barbara, CA.
JOHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
In our 2009 All American 28XT we re-arranged and added doors to the cabinets in the dinnette, kitchen, over the bed and in the garage. The areas were accessible but inconvenient. The added doors give easier access to the ends of the cabinets. I got three matching doors from the factory for $65 including shipping. I also added a mid level shelf in all cabinets for added storage.

out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Team
Forest River seems to be down right sloppy when it comes to wasting our
valuable storage space.
I have moved and in some cases re-moved these #@$%^! panels they stick
in places to "protect" various wires and ducts. OF course you do so at your own
risk but I will be careful of wires and in many cases I was able to zip tie and re-locate
the wires or ducts to get much more usable storage.

I also agree they really short changed us in the cabinet door areas.
Under our sofa we have a long storage area with 2 little doors.
This creates a dead zone on both ends that is hard to access.
Our over the bed cabinet is the same way.
Long cabinet with 2 measly doors. 3 would have been much better.
Same thing in the cabinet above our sofa and even the cabinet over our table
could have used 3 doors or 2 larger ones.
Under the fridge I removed a panel and nearly doubled that area.
Even under the bed or under a dinette bench there are little drawers with
large wasted spaces around them.

There were "night stands" on both sides of our bed that were totally wasted space.
I removed the front panels and found they were carpeted inside. We simply bought
storage bins that fit inside these areas and now we have the equivalent of 2 more
drawers for essentials next to the bed.

Under the sink we have 2 drawers and a top flip out panel with a tiny plastic bin
attached to the back of it. We use it to hold a long nose butane lighter but
there is room for another drawer in that spot!!

In my outside front storage area I moved the water filter and re-positioned some
wires and hoses going to the pump, gaining enough room for an extra 12 by 18" tote

With just a little care and very little added expense, they could have nearly doubled
the storage in my trailer ;-((

This storage issue and the crappy Concertone player are my 2 main and really my
only major complaints about our trailer.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
I agree - should have bought the Lazy Daze. Lazy Daze is very creative, uses every available space for storage. Right now I'm rebuilding the overhead cab area that housed the TV and Concertone. So much space was wasted up there. And sloppy - wires all over, some just hanging and flopping around causing noise.
ljcpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
And I have a question... why are there no tracks/slides for the storage space under the dinette.... just big hard sliding drawers, wood on wood!
Seasonal site camping
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
I think this is so the drawers don't open in transit. Wood on wood friction keeps the drawers closed.
2006 Hemi Ram Quad Cab 4x4
2005 Cherokee 28A+

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I would caution anyone moving panels directly against any wires or ducts. That space allowed those wires and ducts to move as you go down the road without coming into contact with anything causing them to rub and wear. Before moving those panels back I'd put either some insulation against the wires first or a pipe insulation over them and then put in the panels. This would blanket and protect those items. It might take some time for a wire covering to wear through but "It Could Happen" as they say.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote