Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

extra counter space in kitchen

I was looking for a cutting board-stove cover (my stove does not have a cover). After pricing a decent cutting board the size I needed I had sticker shock, I then had an idea how about a wooden TV tray with the legs taken off??? It worked and the center slide part on the bottom of the tray fits in between the grates on my stove. I put a piece of non slip shelf liner on the bottom and leave it on the stove while driving. I have no pilot light and make sure the burners are cold before replacing the cover.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

nuisance: have you got a photo of your cover? Sounds like a great idea!

Here's a pic of what I just did. I made an 18" x 24" cover for the cooktop from a piece of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood, glued a piece of laminate to it and trimmed it off with maple edging all around. I made a support at the front and at the rear, I traced an outline of the cooktop on cardboard and transferred it to a piece of maple. The new top locks in place between the wall and cooktop and won't move around. It sure adds a lot of useable counter space and you can prep stuff on it. We'll tuck it away somewhere for travelling.

After I made this and had it finished, I discovered that the factory countertop had a warp in it. Crap. So I had to remove about 1/8" on one side of the front support to make it sit flat.

This was a BIG brownie point winner (multiple points on this one) for the woman in my life....

Off to the right, you can also see a sink cutting board I made up from an ordinary store-bought one. I made a template and trimmed it to fit, sanded it down and added a finger hole. I also added a flip up counter extension at the far right which you can't see. Lotsa useable counter space now!

If you have a stove as opposed to a cooktop, you could do a smiliar thing. I looked all over the 'net for a factory made one that would work to no avail. The metals ones that fold just wouldn't work. You can't use them for a work surface.

If it's a wooden cutting board surface you really want, check out out www.countrymouldings.com. They have a big selection of cutting blocks and wood counter tops and the best pricing I was able to find anywhere. Problem is with these is they are going to be at least 1" thick and thus heavy, being made from solid hardwood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008 (640x297).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	11161  
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Will take pics these weekend..........Doing alot of Mods, most are minor but still worth doing. Looks good by the way..
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
Will take pics these weekend..........Doing alot of Mods, most are minor but still worth doing. Looks good by the way..

Bought a TV tray, removed the legs and the metal strap on the bottom. The two blocks of wood fits between the rack of my stove. I put a piece of non slip shelf liner on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0011.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	11761   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0012.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	11762  
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Great idea, there is never never to much counter space. Be sure to remove it if you operate the oven.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote