Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Extra water storage?

Hello everyone, I was wondering what people are using for extra water storage for dry camping?

Ramrod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
We have used a food grade drum with a removable head. I installed a ball valve in the side near the bottom. When on the truck, it can be filled at the water station and you can either use gravity to fill your camper tank or use a 12v RV water pump to speed the process. We used this set-up to serve water to three campers dry camping on the beach in Maryland.

2016 Surveyor 191T (pending delivery)
2006 KZ 37KGx2
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 CTD

Be safe, but if you cannot, be violent.
Choose to be a winner, not a victim.
Thunderbolt75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
This is what we have been using for 2 years now and are very happy.
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World
2013 RAM 3500 Dually Longhorn
2014 Trilogy 3650RL, W/D, Onan 5500, 8000# Axles, IS, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
I have 6 water jugs.

Four 8-gallon jugs from Walmart. I can set them on their side and they have a spigot. I leave one set up outside for washing hands and faces after riding the motorcycles and ATVs on the dusty dirt trails.

Two 7-gallon jugs from Big5. These have a short pour spout that is small enough in diameter that it just barely fits inside the filler tube of the RV. Note: holding up 7 gallons of water is a little over 56 pounds. You need at least a little bit of strength to do that. My son is 4 inches taller than I am. If he is with us then it is his job.

That is 46 gallons of extra water.

I have not used them since we replaced the TT with the MH. We used them a lot with the TT.

FWIW, when planning a trip I estimate 5 gallons of water per person per day. That allows a Navy shower every other day and a sponge bath in between. This is for 5 adults. Everyone but me drinks bottled water.

I recently bought a bladder. I have not used it yet. There a lot of campers at Quartzite that use them. They are only useful for shuttling water from a local source back to camp. I think my bladder holds 40 gallons. It fits in the back of the truck. I have not tried it in the back of the Jeep Wrangler, but I think it will fit with the rear seat removed.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
X2. There are a lot of options and price ranges, but a water bladder is really versatile over fixed containers or jerry cans when it comes to weight to cost to space. IMO.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
6 gallon water jug from Walmart, to shuttle water with.
plus we always travel with a full FW tank of home water.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Extra water storage?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433641696.620997.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	79255This is what I have gone with, it is 29 gallons and it just fits between the fw rails and the front of the box. I put a venting lid and a water valve on it. I attach it to the winterizing intake on the fw and turn the valve so the fw water pump sucks out of it. Now we have 72 gallons of water and I don't have to carry any heavy jugs around. Cost me about $135 and seems to be working pretty good so far.

Ramrod79 is offline   Reply With Quote

storage, water