Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

EZ Backup Camera Installation

Most RVers love the idea of a backup camera. Great for actually "Backing Up!" and also to watch the toad or to simply see what is behind you while traveling down the road.

Backup camera systems can be purchased on Ebay and Amazon for under $50. And the video quality is quite good. I've installed over a dozen of them in friends and families vehicles over the past few years.

I couple years ago I bought this system and installed it on my truck which tows a Toy Hauler and various other trailers. For $38 it is amazing piece of electronics gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=car&sr=1-17

The camera is mounted over the license plate and it is a huge aid to backing up to attach the trailer.

But I also want a camera at the rear of the trailer. Backing into a tight camping spot or simply to see what is behind me while traveling down the road.
I bought a second camera similar to the one that came with the above system on Amazon. The TV monitor has two inputs so I would be able to switch back and forth between them.

But running a wire 23' from the back of the trailer to the truck and then another 20 feet or so to the trucks dashboard seemed daunting. Plus I'd need some type of quick disconnect for when the trailer wasn't attached.

In searching for another solution I found a 2.4G wireless transmitter and receiver that can send the video signal from the camera to the TV monitor, in full color, wirelessly. This kit only cost $10 so I figured I'd take a chance.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I work in the RF boradcast industry. We build and market digital modulators for the transmission of HD video signal over coax cable. We always preach Rule #1...."If you can use wire...use it!"..."Trust the copper!"... I'm not a huge fan of anything "wireless" as I see lots of issues with interference and poor video quality. But sometimes ease of installation trumps using the wire...

So this wireless system shows up in under 48 hours from Amazon (How do they do that!!!)and I hooked the receiver up in the truck. The transmitter I hooked to a small 12V test battery I use and tried out the distance by walking away with the camera and into the rear yard of my house. At over 150' away, going through a couple walls and the steel body of the truck, it worked GREAT! Video quality is amazing!

From the rear of the trailer to the cab of the truck is no problem.

I mounted the camera above the rear loading gate on the Toy Hauler and grabbed power from the center clearance light. Took all of 20 minutes!

Turn on the TV in the trucks cab and VOILA! We have video!

We'll have to see how long this inexpensive solution lasts, but it appears to be well made and should be fine. Time will tell!
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

Holy Cow, Batman.
That is cheap.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep thats cheap but whats going to cost a is the TV Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

I rather use the word..."inexpensive"......
Old 10-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

That's funny ,I just purchased the same components myself. I just haven't mounted everything. Thank you ,I was wondering about the distance for reception. I have a 42 5ver. And was wondering about the quality. I can't wait to hook it up.
afg83133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Report back after you have installed it. I'm sure lots of folks are interested
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

I will try and install it this weekend.
afg83133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
StlClay

Look at Tadi Brothers on the web. Great kits and good prices instead of looking for seperate items. These kits are designed for both backup and rear view and are wireless

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

I just checked out Tadi Brothers. For what they are charging I can but a half dozen set-ups like I have. I'm sure their stuff is great, but it sure is a lot more expensive.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

I was getting some "stuff" so I threw one of these on......
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #11

I also have a 42' 5er and am interested in how this turns out. I only have asinine input on my monitor and have a backup camera on my truck but I have some ideas on using a relay to switch between the 2. The distance and position of the wireless module I'm very curriculum about.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
Richard

Back-up Camera Use Experience - Camera Waterproof?

Based on your posting today re the back-up camera with wireless addition, I've been wondering if I ought to consider such an installation on my rig to help with backing into camping sites, etc. From reading the reviews from several of these systems available on Amazon, though, I see that a number of them cite problems with water getting into the cameras and making them unusable. Do you or any of the others on the forum using these inexpensive units have such issues? If I did upgrade to one of these, I would want to invest in one that would work for years without issues.
Thanks.
RPittenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
Most RVers love the idea of a backup camera. Great for actually "Backing Up!" and also to watch the toad or to simply see what is behind you while traveling down the road.

Backup camera systems can be purchased on Ebay and Amazon for under $50. And the video quality is quite good. I've installed over a dozen of them in friends and families vehicles over the past few years.

I couple years ago I bought this system and installed it on my truck which tows a Toy Hauler and various other trailers. For $38 it is amazing piece of electronics gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=car&sr=1-17

The camera is mounted over the license plate and it is a huge aid to backing up to attach the trailer.

But I also want a camera at the rear of the trailer. Backing into a tight camping spot or simply to see what is behind me while traveling down the road.
I bought a second camera similar to the one that came with the above system on Amazon. The TV monitor has two inputs so I would be able to switch back and forth between them.

But running a wire 23' from the back of the trailer to the truck and then another 20 feet or so to the trucks dashboard seemed daunting. Plus I'd need some type of quick disconnect for when the trailer wasn't attached.

In searching for another solution I found a 2.4G wireless transmitter and receiver that can send the video signal from the camera to the TV monitor, in full color, wirelessly. This kit only cost $10 so I figured I'd take a chance.

Amazon.com : BW® 2.4G Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for The Vehicle Backup Camera/Front Car Camera : Display Camera Car Reverse : Car Electronics

I work in the RF boradcast industry. We build and market digital modulators for the transmission of HD video signal over coax cable. We always preach Rule #1...."If you can use wire...use it!"..."Trust the copper!"... I'm not a huge fan of anything "wireless" as I see lots of issues with interference and poor video quality. But sometimes ease of installation trumps using the wire...

So this wireless system shows up in under 48 hours from Amazon (How do they do that!!!)and I hooked the receiver up in the truck. The transmitter I hooked to a small 12V test battery I use and tried out the distance by walking away with the camera and into the rear yard of my house. At over 150' away, going through a couple walls and the steel body of the truck, it worked GREAT! Video quality is amazing!

From the rear of the trailer to the cab of the truck is no problem.

I mounted the camera above the rear loading gate on the Toy Hauler and grabbed power from the center clearance light. Took all of 20 minutes!

Turn on the TV in the trucks cab and VOILA! We have video!

We'll have to see how long this inexpensive solution lasts, but it appears to be well made and should be fine. Time will tell!
It is a great price, unfortunately it is $82.50 here, can order out of China for $52.00
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #14

I bought the camera and monitor setup from Auto Zone last year. Terrible picture at the monitor regardless where I mount it. $129 down the drain. TT is only 34' long.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #15

RVS-CW-CAM | Wireless Backup Camera System | Quad View Monitor with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor | Rear View Safety

This is what I bought. Trying it in the yard it works well, not an HD picture but good. The bracket for inside the truck is really nice. Good quality construction all around. Now to try it on the road.

By the way, if you're pulling power from a clearance light, as most do, use ScotchLock connectors. No cutting wires, easy.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #16

EZ Backup Camera Installation

Rbertalotto, on wiring the monitor to the truck, I understand the wire that hooks to the reverse light wire enables the monitor to turn on to see what's behind you.

Is there also another way to switch the monitor on while NOT being in reverse and see what's happening behind you.
Possibly connect that wire to a constant power source instead of the reverse light wire?

Yeah I know a lot are going to say why would you need to but if possibly pulling another vehicle behind you.

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
Plain Old Member

Nice to see back there regardless in my opinion. Got spoiled to that in our motorhomes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:38 AM   #18

I did not use the back up light activation feature. I hardwired the monitor to a switched 12 V lead. In this way I can turn the monitor on anytime I want. But the cameras on both the truck and the trailer are wired into the running lights . They afford to turn the cameras on I need to have the running lights on. This is no big deal for me as I drive with the running lights on all the time. I want to be visible.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #19

I've had the same camera mounted above my license plate on the truck for over three years with no water issues. It is still working great. No, it is not an HD picture. But it is certainly good enough to see what is behind the trailer or to help in hooking up the trailer.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #20

Thanks for some great information
rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote