Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
I cut a 1" piece of nonskid tape and put it on the front edge about an inch back. We slipped often until we put the tape down. Haven't slipped since.

Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Site Team
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think RV manufacturers should absolutely make residential step-height steps. I HATE our steep steps and would change them if I could.
I remember watching a video once of a large stairway in a public place. It was like a subway station or something. There were like 15 or 20 steps and just a single one was like 1/4" off compared to all the others. They showed a ton of people tripping on that single step.

So I don't know if the actual height matters so much as long as they are all uniform. I go up and down my steps all the time in the dark with no problems.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
The young man who delivered our 5er to storage for us told me that we needed to be aware that at night, the stairways of 5ers were very dark and could be dangerous. So DH installed a solar powered, motion activated light similar to the ones we have on the outside of the 5er. Works great for us. Really do like the LED lights and we're going to be working on getting a handrail, too
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 360 IBL
2014 Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel 6.7 4wd Crew Cab Dually
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I just leave a little lamp with LED bulb on all night
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Very nice mods both seidcon & OldCoot... I've got entry stepwell lighting in the works as well for the new MH. Seems like an accident waiting to happen in the dark, especially given my DW has rather limited mobility.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2016: 19
pashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #16
Originally Posted by seidcon View Post
We have a Forest River Signature Ultra lite 5th wheel. At night, only the middle step is illuminated. When it's dark it's easy to miss the bottom step.
After both my wife and myself fell when we missed the bottom step, I installed additional LED step lights to light up all of the steps.

I found the led step lights on line and installation time was less than 1 hour.
I removed the panels from the back of the steps (inside the storage area) to facilitate fishing the wires.
It makes a big difference.

Forest River should consider making this standard equipment.
That looks great, plenty of light and looks classy.... I might steel that idea, where did you get them?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #17
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Nice mods but that is one reason why I traded my 5er for a tt. As we get older the more unstable one tends to get. Like buying a two story house with bed rooms upstairs. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
Our control panel is on the wall in the stairwell. Several of the switches are lighted (water heater, water pump, etc.) and there is always one or more of them on no matter whether hooked up to shore power or boondocking. Those switches, along with the LED ambient lighting under our kitchen island, provide the perfect amount of light for the steps at night.

2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote