Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

fans to vent refrigerator

I have a refrigerator that is in a slide so it vents out of the side. When I pulled off the top cover there was a board that went across and covered half of the opening. I cut the board to clear the opening and put in two fans. What a difference. I got the idea from a youtube video. This is what it looks like. It works great. Here is the link for those who may not have seen it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...a8&action=view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fans.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	139893  
Old 06-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4303.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	140979

Doing the same thing to mine
Brents2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

You are much better off mounting the fan or fans at the top than the bottom. You want the fans sucking out, not blowing in and you want them in front of the condenser which is at the top of the unit.

The issue with the fans blowing in (like you have them is... If there are any air gaps between the fridge body and the cabinet it's in, you can blow the combustion gas into your living area and, blowing in at the bottom can extinguish your flame in the boiler. It's not very big to begin with.

Then there is the issue of powering them. You want them on all the time or just when the fridge needs heat relief. I suggest a snap disc thermostat on the upper condenser, on at 90 off at 70.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You are much better off mounting the fan or fans at the top than the bottom. You want the fans sucking out, not blowing in and you want them in front of the condenser which is at the top of the unit.

The issue with the fans blowing in (like you have them is... If there are any air gaps between the fridge body and the cabinet it's in, you can blow the combustion gas into your living area and, blowing in at the bottom can extinguish your flame in the boiler. It's not very big to begin with.

Then there is the issue of powering them. You want them on all the time or just when the fridge needs heat relief. I suggest a snap disc thermostat on the upper condenser, on at 90 off at 70.
Not sure which thread you are responding to. My fans are on the top vent and do blow out. They go on when the fridge needs cooling as with the original small fan that came with the camper. You are absolutely correct, do not mount the fans at the bottom and have them blowing in.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

Yours.... I re read your post. I see you mounted the fans to the top vent, which is ok but not ideal. The optimum place to mount them is directly in front of the condenser (as physically close as possible to it) blowing out and letting the exhausted heated air vent through all the louvers.

Additionally, you might want to add additional unfaced insulation around the cavity sides, between the outer cabinet and the fridge body as FR tends to skimp on insulation (IOW cheap out). A roll of R13 unfaced is about 8 bucks at Lowes, money well spent, I stuffed almost 1/4 roll in my cavity, FR had maybe a wisp of insulation in there.......

One other thing you want to address is airflow as it comes up from the lower vent cover and exits the upper vent, being propelled by your fans (I used a pair of Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm CPU fans, totally silent, low amp draw, the pair pull just under 1.2 amps at 12 volts).

You need to insure the airflow is a smooth as possible. I presume you have a Dometic fridge. Dometic specs an upper baffle plate (that FR is lax about installing, like the single fan and insulation...)

You need to insure you have an upper baffle that wraps around, behind the condenser and curves upward and fastens to the outer/inner wall studs so the airflow is not impacted by the loose insulation (turbulence) in the cavity.

Because the upper vent is plastic, mounting the fans to it will amplify any operating noise they make, whereas mounting them close to the condenser via a wood crossbar, dampens any sound they may produce...you cannot hear mine run.

I have mine running via a snap disc thermostat, 80 on 70 off (WW Grainger or Dell City Electronics), 7 bucks, attached to the outer outboard cooling fin on the condenser and picking up 12 volts from the terminal block that feeds the control board on the fridge itself.

I added an ATO inline fuse holder as a safety measure with a 2 amp ATO spade fuse.

That way the fans operate independently of the fridge and run only when needed (mine cycle on and off especially at night due mainly to the fact that my fridge shuts down at night because it has reached and is holding my preset temperature.

I actually did a test with a recording remote digital thermometer and published the data on another RV forum, but suffice to say here that my freezer stays consistently at -2 to -4 degrees (F), no matter if the sun is beating on the fridge side or not and no matter what the ambient air temp is outside. and my fridge compartment holds 34-38 degrees no matter where the sun is or ambient temperature and cool down to that temp went from a day to 5 hours and the fridge cycles on and off once it reaches the preset temp. Last season I had to run my temp control at maximum to maintain 40-43 degrees fridge temp. Not now. I run on setting 4 (6 total settings).

Running mine on just propane, I started with a full 20 pound bottle and ran it continuously until the bottle was empty never shutting it down.

It ran for 36 days continuously on a single 20 pound bottle, pretty economical I'd say.

Rule of thumb is the closer the fans are to the condenser and the smoother the airflow is, the more efficient the ammonia unit becomes.

When RV builders started installing ammonia fridges in slides, they never took into account the natural draft effect a lower vent / roof mounted exhaust vent creates, but then I never expected them to consider the natural draft effect. Too much for them.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

OC says mount them at the bottom. You know when OC talks...everybody listens!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
OC says mount them at the bottom. You know when OC talks...everybody listens!
OC????

Never at the bottom unless you always run on 110 volt heating element (or the 12 volt battery draining one).

Great way to blow out the tiny propane flame
Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Hi,

I have operated a secondary fan at the bottom for a whole season without impairing flame operations.

I don't doubt it could be a potential issue in some installations. My conclusion would be that it depends on where the fan directs that upward air flow, and from which direction it draws that flow.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #9

I run 4 fans: two on bottom drawing air in and up an two on top blowing air out.

I usually wait unit it it hit out to turn them on... or if I just stocked the fridge. It is amazing the hot air that is expelled when first turned on. After a few minutes the air is not as hot.

My absorption refrigerator performance improved a ton after adding these fans.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
OC????

Never at the bottom unless you always run on 110 volt heating element (or the 12 volt battery draining one).

Great way to blow out the tiny propane flame

What did you do to your camper today?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=50726
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Yours.... I re read your post. I see you mounted the fans to the top vent, which is ok but not ideal. The optimum place to mount them is directly in front of the condenser (as physically close as possible to it) blowing out and letting the exhausted heated air vent through all the louvers.

Additionally, you might want to add additional unfaced insulation around the cavity sides, between the outer cabinet and the fridge body as FR tends to skimp on insulation (IOW cheap out). A roll of R13 unfaced is about 8 bucks at Lowes, money well spent, I stuffed almost 1/4 roll in my cavity, FR had maybe a wisp of insulation in there.......

One other thing you want to address is airflow as it comes up from the lower vent cover and exits the upper vent, being propelled by your fans (I used a pair of Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm CPU fans, totally silent, low amp draw, the pair pull just under 1.2 amps at 12 volts).

You need to insure the airflow is a smooth as possible. I presume you have a Dometic fridge. Dometic specs an upper baffle plate (that FR is lax about installing, like the single fan and insulation...)

You need to insure you have an upper baffle that wraps around, behind the condenser and curves upward and fastens to the outer/inner wall studs so the airflow is not impacted by the loose insulation (turbulence) in the cavity.

Because the upper vent is plastic, mounting the fans to it will amplify any operating noise they make, whereas mounting them close to the condenser via a wood crossbar, dampens any sound they may produce...you cannot hear mine run.

I have mine running via a snap disc thermostat, 80 on 70 off (WW Grainger or Dell City Electronics), 7 bucks, attached to the outer outboard cooling fin on the condenser and picking up 12 volts from the terminal block that feeds the control board on the fridge itself.

I added an ATO inline fuse holder as a safety measure with a 2 amp ATO spade fuse.

That way the fans operate independently of the fridge and run only when needed (mine cycle on and off especially at night due mainly to the fact that my fridge shuts down at night because it has reached and is holding my preset temperature.

I actually did a test with a recording remote digital thermometer and published the data on another RV forum, but suffice to say here that my freezer stays consistently at -2 to -4 degrees (F), no matter if the sun is beating on the fridge side or not and no matter what the ambient air temp is outside. and my fridge compartment holds 34-38 degrees no matter where the sun is or ambient temperature and cool down to that temp went from a day to 5 hours and the fridge cycles on and off once it reaches the preset temp. Last season I had to run my temp control at maximum to maintain 40-43 degrees fridge temp. Not now. I run on setting 4 (6 total settings).

Running mine on just propane, I started with a full 20 pound bottle and ran it continuously until the bottle was empty never shutting it down.

It ran for 36 days continuously on a single 20 pound bottle, pretty economical I'd say.

Rule of thumb is the closer the fans are to the condenser and the smoother the airflow is, the more efficient the ammonia unit becomes.

When RV builders started installing ammonia fridges in slides, they never took into account the natural draft effect a lower vent / roof mounted exhaust vent creates, but then I never expected them to consider the natural draft effect. Too much for them.
Thanks for the added info. I did notice that there is a large gap where insulation should be and I still have to add that along with the baffle.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #12

I actually worked on this mod last weekend. I have a non slide fridge and it runs very well with no fans. We will be going out to the Southwest for 3 weeks so I figured some air movement can't hurt. Problem I ran into is there was absolutely zero room to do much of anything. After much problem solving I was at least able to mount one 120mm 73cfm fan above the main electrical panel blowing straight up into the cavity. It is mounted well above the pilot and almost in the middle of the fridge access. I used one of the RV CUW thermal switches set to come on at 85 degrees. Just absolutely no way to get it closer to condenser fins. Hopefully it will at least assist with increasing draft up and out roof vent. I guess we will see how well it works.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am not an Old Coot. I am a dirty Old Coot however.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
I actually worked on this mod last weekend. I have a non slide fridge and it runs very well with no fans. We will be going out to the Southwest for 3 weeks so I figured some air movement can't hurt. Problem I ran into is there was absolutely zero room to do much of anything. After much problem solving I was at least able to mount one 120mm 73cfm fan above the main electrical panel blowing straight up into the cavity. It is mounted well above the pilot and almost in the middle of the fridge access. I used one of the RV CUW thermal switches set to come on at 85 degrees. Just absolutely no way to get it closer to condenser fins. Hopefully it will at least assist with increasing draft up and out roof vent. I guess we will see how well it works.
If you do a bit of searching, you'll find that Camco sells a powered upper vent that replaces your roof vent with a fan unit that pulls up....
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #15

Yes I have seen those but they don't get great reviews. I also have my satellite radio antenna mounted to the top of the fridge vent cover.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
Thanks for the added info. I did notice that there is a large gap where insulation should be and I still have to add that along with the baffle.
No problem. I did a rather long term test on another forum (not here) and got to determine the best avenue of attack (of the heat removal issue).

My big reduction in overall temperature swings besides the fans and baffle was packing the space between the fridge and the cabinet with itchy wool. Wear latex gloves and a face mask. I took a 3 foot hardwood dowel rod and used that to pack it in. Some spots are kind of tough getting it in but persistence pays.

I was pretty unhappy about how little insulation FR installed when my unit was built, basically nothing.

If I had to do it again (and will at some point in the future), I'll have a Danfoss Compressor Fridge (not to be mistaken as a residential fridge) and a Thetford Casette toilet and no black water tank at all.

A residential compressor fridge is an amp eater. A Danfoss Compressor Fridge is very frugal with power consumption and the Danfoss actually throttles itself down as your preset ambient is reached. Idle consumption is around 2 amps and cool down is less than 6.

I carry a Dometic Danfoss in the backseat of the pickup. Fantastic unit that will keep ice cream rock hard and make ice cubes plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet. The portable one I have, even has a voltage sensor that won't drop the truck battery below 11.5 volts so it will still start

Being a compressor fridge, levelling it isn't necessary either. Danfoss Compressor units were mostly for marine use until a couple years ago. Of course they aren't cheap so I don't see FR offering them in the near future.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
Yes I have seen those but they don't get great reviews. I also have my satellite radio antenna mounted to the top of the fridge vent cover.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
They work well when you delete the wimpy solar panel and hard wire the fan.

Sat radio? I carry a CCrane Solar Observer. Thats it. Am-Fm-NOAA and 10 and 12 meter.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
Camp-N-Nut

What kind of computer fans did you guys buy? Are they a two wire fan (just a positive and negative wire)? I bought two different kinds of computer fans from Best Buy but they don't spin fast enough to blow the hot air out. So I returned them.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp-n-nut View Post
What kind of computer fans did you guys buy? Are they a two wire fan (just a positive and negative wire)? I bought two different kinds of computer fans from Best Buy but they don't spin fast enough to blow the hot air out. So I returned them.

I do not remember but my thread has a link to a YouTube video which has the info at the end. Hope this helps.

Tags
fan, refrigerator, vent