Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #1

Lightbulb Fear of slide failure

Our RV is a 2012 Lexington 265DS and we are mostly satisfied with it. The sole issue we had under warranty was a backup light that had water infiltration, although it was a sealed component. It has been promptly replaced by our nearest dealer at no cost; we only had to pass by.

We did some modifications over the years to make our living and usage more pleasant.

But we are living with the fear that the bedroom slide will, some day, refuse to operate due to a motor failure.
How do we get access to the manual overtake device that has been located under the bed plate.

If the slide is at the IN position, the foot end of the mattress and the plate are inserted under the wall to wall closet for 18 inches. Even if we try to remove the mattress, it is impossible to do so and there is not sufficient place (volume) around to put it aside or pass it through the door. Same issue with the plywood plate that we would have to unscrew.

If the slide is at the OUT position, we have to lift mattress and plate assembly at an angle and secure it with the holding rod to get access at the overtaking device. If I crank the device to get the slide IN, the mattress-plate assembly does not have enough room or play to accommodate full re-entry and we would have to hit the road with a bed assembly at angle, leaning on the closet, consequently ruining it. But, cherry on top, by retracting inside the slide the compartment containing the mechanism is 26 inches wide and the slide has to come IN 18 inches and is carrying the remaining 12 inches fixed portion of the bed plate. Where do I put my arms?

In fact, we have to consider it is a «fail», design wise.

I know that there are other Lexington, Sunseeker, Forester and maybe other models that are in the same situation with room slide coming out on driver’s side.
Fear for all of us?

I am quite sure there must be a way of correcting this PITA situation and operate the overtaking device otherwise and safely. My brain is working.

Any thoughts?

Necessity leads to genius !
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:50 AM   #2

I share your worry. Our Lexi 283ts is set up exactly the same way. I have posted about this stupid design several times, so have others.
I have racked my widdle bwain to come up with a solution, but can't.
Slide in or out, you still have to man-handle the mattress out of bedroom area, and then have to cut the mattress support to gain access to the slide motor.
Only thing I can come up with for an eaqsier accesss, is removing the mattress and cut the support plywood in half so in an emergency it can be removed in 2 sections. Then I'll have an easier access to motor if needed.
Plan on doing this, this up-comming winter when rig is put up.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #3

Fear is Out

I previously mentioned that my brain was still working to find a solution to the non accessibility at the retracting mechanism of the room slideout on the our Lexi.

Option 1 was to install a flexible shaft into a bended tubing ( 8 to 10 in. radius) with a connecting sleeve at one end to connect to gearbox shaft of the mechanism and a driving socket at the other end that could be manipulated from the side of the bed with a ratchet, All of the easy accessible flexshaft are coiled to operate clockwise and are weak counter clockwise. The need to operate the slide both ways led to REJECT the option.

Option 2 was to install a secondary 1/2 in. shaft parallel to the gearbox shaft, supported by bearings holders, equipped with a sprocket, so would be replaced the existing manual overtaking hexnut, and a rollers chain (like a bike chain). This secondary shaft would be manipulated from outside (driver’s side) through an opening in the wall.

While I was taking measurements for Option 2, I realized that the foresaid «manual overtaking hexnut» was about 11 inches from the wall. I realized also I had to provide an opening in the wall.

My solution: An opening in the wall that I can get my arm through. So I did.

I now have a solution to a problem I hope not to meet, but Fear is Out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AccesSlide1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	185658   Click image for larger version

Name:	AccesSlide2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	185659   Click image for larger version

Name:	AccesSlide3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	185660   Click image for larger version

Name:	AccesSlide4.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	185661   Click image for larger version

Name:	AccesSlide5.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	185662  

Old 09-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

NICE! great post

where did you get the access doors?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

The access door is a JR Products part # MFE02-A availiable on Amaźon. The installation kit (#04195) is suggested.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

please provide location measurements from reference points so that I don't mess up and put the door in the wrong place.

oops, I forgot to mention: 2005 255DS GTS... maybe the only common reference points will be the slide-out itself.

thank you

Bill
2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005gts View Post
please provide location measurements from reference points so that I don't mess up and put the door in the wrong place.

oops, I forgot to mention: 2005 255DS GTS... maybe the only common reference points will be the slide-out itself.

thank you

Bill

Here are the infos in relation with our 2012 265DS Lexi and refeering to pics already published:

The new access hatch is located in the same bottom line (alingment) with the outside shower port hatch.
The new access hatch is postioned 5 1/2 inches, center to center, ahead of the City Water connecting port.
I used a template, made withe the new hatch, to trace on "masquing tape" applied on the fiber wall.
I, in fact, used a stud finder that didn't reveal the presence uf any stud or brace.
Based on the 《Belt and Suspenders Law》, I tested with a 1 1/2 in nail at 1 in interva to be sure.
Then, I did cut using my multitask oscillating tool.(using the cutting blade at maximum length).
Bingo ! The biscuit came out, the hole appered, so a smile on my face.
I installed the hatch, with proper seal, door coming down to comply, esthetically, with the shower hatch.
Voilà !

Later in the fall, I found very useful the new access hatch.
Doing the winterizing procedure, I realised that the access port to the winterizing valve was just in-line with the new opening so I just had to lenthend the pickup hose and passed it through the hole to "suck" the RV antifreeze directly from the gallon avoiding spillage under the bed. A week ago, I dewinterized the same manner using a water pail from outside. So I did to sanitise the water lines; I sanitized the fresh water reservoir on its own using the bumpy road method.

Is itn't that beautiful ?

Hope it help !

À la prochaine !

Tags
slide