Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #41

[QUOTE=maggiek;453406
DKirk
Yes, ours is a 2011 2304. We bought it new and other than a few issues with less that stellar construction/quality control there have been few problems. Yes there was a water leak from the shower taps, the linen closet shelves that collapsed after a hard bump in the road and sewer discharge lines being really close to the ground but the only "real" test of our patience has been the table and that will be resolved over the off season as previously mentioned.
We enjoy this unit for its compact floor plan and the fact that it is a 24' that behaves like 30' because of the "Murphy Bed". This in our mind is as near to the perfect couples tt as it gets for those that aren't full timers or seasonal. It tows easily with a 1/2 ton with a light gear and can be parked in some of the nicer sites rather than in the open fields like the bigger 5ers etc. No offense to those fine folks, just what we prefer. Once you get the growing pains behind you, you will like the Mini. Get out and enjoy these great counties of ours and have fun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. We absolutely love our Mini.100% ditto on all you said about the floor plan and perfect couples TT. MY DH was just humoring me when I wanted to look and the minute he saw the murphy bed he was sold on it.
The issues we've had so far are:
1)leaking shower stall on left side (DH has finally got it fixed)
2) Closet rod holder broke on long trip - (replaced with a metal one from HD)
3 Murphy bed not properly secured on one side - thank goodness we caught that before it ripped out - again DH fixed it ( we only looked because I saw a discussion on FRF!)
4) Cracks in holding tanks - replaced under 3 month extended warranty from dealer, now have ABS tanks
5) Cooling unit in fridge leaked, so entire cooling unit was replaced, again by the warranty

Our closet shelf has been fine, but I'll keep an eye on it

Our Rocky looked brand new when we got it. The outdoor shower had never been hooked up and the water filter had never been set up. Had the bypass plate in it and the unopened filter laying on the cabinet floor.

The previous owner must have rarely camped. The table mod was the only thing that wasn't "factory" aside from a small battery powered LED light under the cabinet inside the door. How stupid that there's no light switch to turn on some kind of inside light when you are entering at night. But I've added motion sensor night lights to solve that.

We've already hauled it to CT and back to NC on a 10 day trip.

I repeat, we LOVE our Rocky, and can't wait to head out again this Friday. My DH is eating his words " If we buy this, it better not become a driveway ornament." We've camped about every other weekend when it wasn't in the shop for the repairs I listed.

2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #42

Re: Fed Up

DKirk
There is no reason for the differences. For example, we have an off/on switch on the utility panel inside the entry door for the light over the dinnet. Also, just got back from a walk around the campground and noted another 2304. After a look to compare ours to theirs, we noted it had different stabilizers. Unlikely the owner traded them out.
Glade you are getting out and experiencing the life style. Even a bad day camping is better than almost anything. Enjoy

2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #43

We got rid of our wobbly table, and one of the bench seats that went with it. We also got rid of the couch since no one used it, except for the dogs. The bench seat wooden frame we did remove, went on top of the existing bench seat frame to keep the storage area it provided. What we then did was to replace everything we removed with some really nice, high quality patio furniture. We gained a lot of open room, which makes cleaning much easier. The 4 chairs we now have are more comfortable than the bench seats, and couch that came with the rig. Two of those chairs are used outdoors, but can be moved in doors when we have visitors, and/or bad weather. The best thing however is that when we now watch TV, we don't have to turn our heads. We just swivel the chair(s) around. Before, the couch, and one of the bench seats did not face the TV area. You'd have to turn your head to watch the TV. I was also careful to match the weight we took out to keep the TT balanced as it came from the factory for towing purposes.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
We got rid of our wobbly table, and one of the bench seats that went with it. We also got rid of the couch since no one used it, except for the dogs. The bench seat wooden frame we did remove, went on top of the existing bench seat frame to keep the storage area it provided.
Got pictures???
How do you secure your patio furniture when towing? or is your TT permanently parked as a seasonal??
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #45

We use those plastic wire ties as needed. That, and the replacement stuff is in the large slide out. When move the slide out in, there are some plastic containers that hold some other stuff, that also help keep the chairs, and table from moving around while tooling down the road. We also turn the table up side down. Those plastic containers also act as weight replacement for the stuff we removed. Factory furniture in the less expensive TTs is not very comfortable to begin with. Plus, it tends to wear out pretty fast. This was our fix for those two problems.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
I installed one of these:

V40 - SNAP 2 Folding Table Base - Price: $69.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Just attach table top. Nothing to mount to RV. You can move it any where you want, even outside. Since it uses your original top it fits the dinette just fine. Our top is MDF and my wife couldn't raise or lower the table. Now she can.
That looks just like the folding legs on my 2013 Mini Lite 2104 (Murphy bed option).

It broke on me after about four months of use. The front horizontal bar that sits on the floor cracked off of the vertical leg. I had it welded back in place, and a brace of the same square tubing, about 8'', welded at a 45 degree angle between both the legs. This prevents the rocking motion when you lean on the table that caused it to crack in the first place.

You can only brace the side opposite the folding mechanism, but that seems to be plenty.

It looks Like I need to do something similar the the top of the vertical leg and the bottom of the table attachment. It's starting to give slightly, which can only get worse.

When the table was new, and I suspect after I add two more braces at the top, the table will still rock a little bit, due to the fact that the vertical legs are two pieces stacked on each other via the mechanism. But, it's not too bad when the joints are solid.
2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators
Rmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
Here are the pictures of my table and frame. From what I have seen here and in another thread it appears there are some having issues with this frame. So far, mine is rock solid. We have not experienced the wobble others have complained of.
I had that table in my tracer I used to have. It broke and we had to get a replacement frame. That table frame for us was not the answer as we didn't like it at all! It was a pain in my Always banging our feet on it.Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Happy campin
Carl
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I had that table in my tracer I used to have. It broke and we had to get a replacement frame. That table frame for us was not the answer as we didn't like it at all! It was a pain in my Always banging our feet on it.Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Happy campin
Carl
I hear ya. That table is a real pain. The extremes that other people on this board went to to remedy this is also a testament to how bad this is.

Never the less, I use my kid bed on my Mini for the boxers, and the easily stowed table below the bed is nice. It's part of my chores every morning to fold up my Murphy bed, and deploy the table. And at night to fold down the bed, and stow the table, and turn it into a kid bed again.

Of course, this doesn't stop my boxers from jumping up in bed with us now and again, but it gives them a fall-back point between people bed incursions.
2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators
Rmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #49

I finally made some progress on MY wobbly dinette table. See below.

I replaced the bases on the table and floor of the TT. The old bases broke and allowed the table poles to move around inside of the bases. My hope is these bases will last a little longer the originals that came with the TT.

While I had my tools out I replaced the flimsy trim pieces that supported the tabletop when in the bed position. I used some 2x4's and secured them in place with some 4 inch lag screws. The original narrow support ledge allowed the tabletop to fall through to the floor while my 10 year old (weighs 70 pounds) slept on it. This design failure caused him to injure his neck as his head was resting over the bench portion. Not a very safe design. I spent about $25 beefing up the bed/tabletop supports...too bad the manufacturer did not.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #50

Nice mod and increasing quality were the manufacturer failed.