Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #1

Feedback on liquidspring suspension system

We recently bought a 30DS FR3.
Driving it this past Thanksgiving was an interesting experience. The RV feels like it floats driving down a freeway. It tends to move around and it took constant concentration to insure I kept it in my lane. Really avoided oversteerong and it just felt like suspension was really soft.
My parents in laws who have way more experience than us recommended this system. Anyone have eng experience or feedback they are willing to share? TIA.
https://liquidspring.com/class/
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #2

If this is your first vehicle of this size I'd put in some more 'wheel time' before investing a bunch of money in a system like this.

Large, high profile vehicles behave differently than pickups and vans. There is a learning curve and the trick is to learn what steering input is required to hold a lane or change lanes.

Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated, ESPECIALLY THE REAR. Soft rear tires can cause oversteer right quick.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
We recently bought a 30DS FR3.
Driving it this past Thanksgiving was an interesting experience. The RV feels like it floats driving down a freeway. It tends to move around and it took constant concentration to insure I kept it in my lane. Really avoided oversteerong and it just felt like suspension was really soft.
My parents in laws who have way more experience than us recommended this system. Anyone have eng experience or feedback they are willing to share? TIA.
https://liquidspring.com/class/
Looks Expen$ive.

Get a steering stabilizer and do the CHF. (Cheap Handling Fix)

I went with a Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer.

On the F53 chassis sway have two holes. (Soft & firm)
A couple of CHF threads:
2018 30DS CHF quick questions - clarification
My take on CHF or suspension in general
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

I agree with rk...chf and the roadmaster steering stabilizer and I'm very happy with it. And yes to the tire pressure.
52chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks all! Will definitely confirm tire pressure. I have owned a Class C before and have driven 2+ ton trucks so I think I am above average in terms of driving experience.

On a slightly different yet related note, what do you guys use to check tire pressure on RV tires? I realized that my civilian car gauges don't go high enough in terms of PSI
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #6

Boris, from the description of how your coach drives, I would hazard a guess that it has air suspension. If this is true, read on!
There are a couple of different things that affect the handling with this system, proper tire pressure being the easiest to check and correct...which also can make a lage difference. The next thing would be your shocks. high quality and properly designed (for air suspension vehicles) shock can make a whale of a difference.
Coming up through 50 years of RV ownership, from a 17' Fan travel trailer, through bus conversions (First a Flxible, then latest an Eagle Model 10) I have a pretty good feel about driving both air and torsion suspension, as well as springs on my current Sunseeker. A basic difference in the two predominant types of suspension when on the road, is that air suspension tends to roll side to side, and torsion suspension tends more toward a fore and aft movement, somewhat similar to springs.
Having driven numerous different buses, I've had a "taste" of both systems, and my own preferance goes to the torsion suspension, although both are adequate for the job, and safe enough to be sure, but do require different driving skills. You shouldn't have to saw the steering wheel back and fourth all of the time to maintain a straight line.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
On a slightly different yet related note, what do you guys use to check tire pressure on RV tires? I realized that my civilian car gauges don't go high enough in terms of PSI
Check out Amazon for their top rated Digital Truck Air Pressure Gauges.

An "Amazon's Choice" can sell for $15 and some other top rated (by purchasers) can run up in the $50 range.

Considering the price of truck tires I don't think I'd go cheap on a pressure gauge. I prefer the Digital gauges as they give an exact reading (unlike slide type which can read in 5# increments) and hold their reading when you remove from valve stem so you don't have to cock your head to read (like on round gauge types).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension