Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Finally got CB installed

I think it took me longer to figure out where I wanted to mount the radio then it did to actually mount it. I'll apologize in advance for the long winded post, but figured I'd give as much detail as possible in case anyone else wanted to do the same type of mount.

Anyway - Radio is a Uniden Pro 520XL, it's about the smallest CB other than the Cobra 75WX that I could find. (I didn't like the Cobra)

I didn't want to install it under the passenger side dash as I wouldn't be able to see it while driving. There wasn't any place in the dash to mount it without it sticking out and looking funny.

I really wanted to mount it to the ceiling just to the rear of the dome light. I took the plastic trim off the front bunk cutout and found out that the Chevy van roof is only a single sheet of steel at that point. I didn't think driving sheet metal screws out through the roof was a good idea.

I came up with a way to mount the radio, which weighs under 2lbs, by making a L shaped bracket out of some sheetmetal that I had. The sheetmetal (I think is was 12 ga) was stiff enough that it wouldn't flex. It already had a 90 degree bend in it so I just trimmed to fit. It's 5 inches wide and 7 inches long on the long leg of the L. The short leg is 5 inches wide and 1 1/2 inch high.

I held the radio up to the ceiling to see where I wanted to mount it. Once I had that location I measured back from the center of the radio mounting bracket to the aluminum crosstube in the coach frame in the front bunk cutout.

I got two nail in T nuts from the big box store that take a 1/4 inch machine screw.

The headliner insulation and cover is 3/8 inch thick so I had to take that into account. I wanted the radio mount bracket to mount solid to the sheet metal bracket I made and the insulated headliner was an issue. I got two nylon spacers from the big box store that are 3/8 inch high and 1/2 inch wide. The hole in center was only 1/4 inch so I had to drill it out to 5/16 to fit over the outside of the T nut.

I epoxied the two T nuts and spacers in place. The T nut from the top of the sheet metal bracket and the spacer from below.

I held the L bracket in place and marked the headliner where the spacers were. I used a 1/2 inch forstner bit and ran it in reverse (to not snag and rip the headliner material) to cut two holes for the spacers. I slid the sheetmetal bracket in between the headliner and the roof of the van cab and the spacers slide into the holes I cut in the headliner. The bottom of the spacers were flush with the headliner. I used sheet metal screws to attach the short leg of the L to the cross tube of the coach frame. I also added some 3M UHB tape to the top of the long leg of the L to grab the roof and keep the radio from bouncing.

The 3/8 spacers worked perfect and the CB mounting bracket snugged up tight to the ceiling when I put the 1/4 inch machine screws in. I cut a 3/4 inch hole above the dome light with another forstner bit running in reverse and put a plastic grommet in place. I mounted the antenna to the left front fender and ran the antenna cable and power wires up the A pillar and above the headliner to the grommet. Hooked everything up, checked the SWR and tuned it (1.5) and cleaned everything up. I can listen to truck drivers talking to each other on the interstate 4 miles away like they were sitting next to me so I'm good to go. It's just my wife and I in the camper and we leave the front bunk mattress in place all the time so the CB is out of the way. I've only hit my head on it twice so far. It's easy to reach from the driver's seat and I can see what the channel number is without any problem. I can find the volume, squelch and RF knobs without looking so I won't become a distracted driver.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

That turned out good. Looks like it came that way. Good job.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Team

nice job Forester Fred

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Interesting, are they still used by many? They were good for real time reporting of traffic etc. a few years back.

Your installation is impressive. I don't think you could get a shop to do as well or even place it.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I know it saved us from a major jam on 95 a few years ago, heard the truckers reporting the crash and we bailed off just in time. I do not talk, just monitor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I know it saved us from a major jam on 95 a few years ago, heard the truckers reporting the crash and we bailed off just in time. I do not talk, just monitor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I do, listen without talking. CBs are still around, just not as popular as they were 20+ years ago. But, truckers still use them and they're a great source of learning about traffic issues in front of you. Waze works on the iPhone, but if you're in an area with poor cell coverage it won't do you any good.

Thanks for the comments all, appreciate it.

Skip & Deb
Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Class C Representative

Looks great! Cool mod!
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
Waze works on the iPhone, but if you're in an area with poor cell coverage it won't do you any good.
If you have no cell coverage, there is no traffic either. Nobody is out there, just you & the coyotes.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #9

Fred, that really is one slick looking installation and proves American ingenuity is still alive and well..
Old 10-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

I have a Cobra CB in my truck. It's about 35 years old and working fine. I monitor channel 19 to listen to the truckers, but was wondering if RV's still use channel 13 to communicate. Guess I'm from "outta the past" as my cell phone is a "flip" style TracFone with talk and text only. Works for me.
I did break down and accept the gift of a GPS from my sons, but it never seems to take me the way I want to go. Tough dealing with all this "High Tech" stuff.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

Very nice installation, looks good!
hardoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt2607 View Post
I have a Cobra CB in my truck. It's about 35 years old and working fine. I monitor channel 19 to listen to the truckers, but was wondering if RV's still use channel 13 to communicate. with talk and text only. Works for me.
I was wondering the same thing. I started with cb's in the mid 70's but haven't used one sense the 80's.

BTW: That looks good!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #13

Smile CB Radios

I used to own one years ago. I found it was an excellent source of foul language, raunchy stories and challenges to fight. I'm sure there are instances of legitimate use, but I couldn't stand the language. And I would not subject my wife and family to that garbage. Oh, I know you are not supposed to use that language on the air, but you are supposed to obey the speed limit also. LOL

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #14

Cool

Uhhh .... what about the antenna
Old 10-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #15

I have a 200 watt connex 4400 turbo 10 meter radio - why ???? - my brother is a trucker and he insisted on this radio - plus he said he would pick one up for me - boom - $350.00 used and juice up. I really don't talk unless I'm with my camping church group and we all have them. I find it entertaining to say the least.
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
Campground host Mo. State

Great install, looks like it came with your truck..
Photogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennise View Post
Uhhh .... what about the antenna

Mounted on the left front fender.

My driveway goes slightly downhill. I lined the CB antenna up with the AM/FM antenna for vertical alignment even though it looks like it's leaning far forward. I know....it's supposed have at least half it's length above the roofline. I use the CB 99.9% of the time for listening to what everyone else is saying about traffic. I don't do much, if any, talking on it. I can hear truck traffic talking on the interstate which is at least 4 miles from my house, so that works for me.

4' Firestik Firefly antenna on an Accessories Unlimited AUVAN antenna mount.

Skip & Deb
Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep used one back in the 70s and over time just forgot about it. Still have a radio but not installed in anything. Got my XM radio for up date traffic if need be. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #19

I got a cobra with an auxiliary amp but haven't had it in a truck in about 10 years. I'm trying to get a good spot in my 2015 tundra but haven't found the right spot yet. Cbs are fun.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #20

We need to talk. Let's get back to intelligent communication over the airwaves.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led