Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Finally Modded!

Well, after having the TT for several months, and itching to do some mods, the DW finally broke down and let me get started. So, before she objected again I packed as many into the couple last few weeks as I could.

Mod #1) Changed all kid reachable lights to LEDs:

The kids were constantly turn on their bunk lights and then leaving them on. I've been concerned that they could burn themselves on those lights when they get hot so I swapped them out to LEDs. Picked up this set from amazon and replaced the lights in their bunks. They're not as bright as the incandesents, but still pretty bright.

Mod #2) Installed MaxAir Covers

I covered this in my other thread "Did I install my MaxAir wrong?". Added two vent covers for the front and reat bedrooms.

Mod #3) Installed Screen door handle

Got tired of the kids always pulling on the screen, so I added a handle. Picked this up at the local RV dealer.

Mod #4) Installed a tongue level

Not a big mod, but I wanted something to help guage my tongue height before checking the other levels around the trailer.

Mod #5) Installed a shop towel holder

Again, not a big mod.

Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Continued:

Mod #6) Built a new sidekick table

If anybodies ever left their table hanging on the side of the trailer during a rain storm, you'd realise that laminate covered pressboard doesn't hold up to getting wet:

So, since I had to build a new table anyways, I thought I'd deal with the height difference and a few other things at the same time. Built the new table to drop down to the same height as the grill, and included a place to store the BBQ tools.

Mod #7) Installed a marker light switch

While talking to a camping buddy, he was telling me about how you can get the marker lights on by putting a jumper between pins #3 and #4 of your 7 pin. The first time I saw him do it I liked the look, but I also knew we could improve on the design. Instead of just jaming a paper clip in, like he did, we got a 7 pin harness, a switch, a fuse and a waterproof box. Now, I can control whether or not to turn them on, based on the CG I'm in, and it keeps my 7 pin up off the ground and not getting full of dirt/water/etc...

Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Where exactly do u have that shop towel holder?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's in the pass-through storage. Quite handy to have around to clean up messes, kids, etc...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Nice job on your mods!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Very nice!! Modding is a disease...and I'm sick!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

I saw a mod this weekend that I am itching to do! Some folks camping near us had removed the screen from their screen door and replaced it with plexiglass! Looks like a storm door and really want to convert one of my screen doors like that! It looked really good and I think it would work out great for us!
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I finally got some more mods done, so it's time to revive my old thread.

First was the famous fence post for sewer hose mod:

I mounted it by bolting thru some existing holes in a plate that was on my bumper. I have no idea why the holes were there in the first place, but I went ahead and used them.

For the end caps, I used some drawer latches. I saw many others that used various cords, cables, etc, but those setups didn't feel right to me. I had wanted to do a latch/hinge combination, but I couldn't find any hinges that would fit once I took into account the extra thickness for the rivets.

There's a matching latch on each side.

I've also added some much needed counter lights. Before the counter had practically no light to speak of and the overhead domes don't do much when you're between it and whatever you're working on.

The lights are just some white LED strips I had bought at Costco years ago for some incabinet lighting that I never used. So I harvested them from there and installed in the TT.

The switch for the LEDs is installed next to the hood fan, where it'll be relatively out of sight.

I've also rewired my TV and Genesis as well as leveraged some space behind a dead panel to get an extra shelf, but I seem to forgotten to snap those shots so I'm going to have to update again later to include that mod.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Toy-aholic

I did the same sewer hose mod but on TOP of the bumper...hope you don't go in any dips(sloped exit driveways etc) or that mod will be gone.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
I did the same sewer hose mod but on TOP of the bumper...hope you don't go in any dips(sloped exit driveways etc) or that mod will be gone.
I thought about on top of the bumper, petty much for that reason, but I figured:

1) If I put it on top then the eavestrough would slide over the bolts, potentially causing issues.
2) On top I couldn't use both sides, since the ladder would block one end.
3) Hard to see from the pics, but the stab jacks technically sit lower than that, and I haven't been anywhere I've bottomed those out so hopefully it'll be fine.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #11

nice mods but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of having the running Lights on. Is this when your already setup at the camp sight.
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistahazel View Post
nice mods but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of having the running Lights on. Is this when your already setup at the camp sight.

Yep.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #13

Oh my god you used the holy bumper holes of antioch!!!!! Repent!!!!
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistahazel View Post
X2
and some put a flasher in too...very strange.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Finally Modded!

Yeah, they're for use once I'm setup at camp. They have three different functions:

1) Act as party lights when I'm camping with that kind of crowd.
2) Make the TT easier to spot when camping in dark locations and you need to do an end of night nature call.
3) the side marker light is just the right height to let me see what's on our outside table without having to pop on the more powerful outside light.

I do monitor the feel of the campground and I wouldn't use them unless I'm in a like minded campground or I'm isolated. So you won't have to worry about me running them in the local KOA where my awning is practically touching my neighbour's slide. But you might notice some lights through the brush at the local provincial park where there's 20' of growth between me and my neighbours.

P.s. I don't get the flasher either. I only saw that once and that was in a CG where I felt it would have been impolite to run them.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM   #16

Kaadk could you do a "how to" on the light box switch that the seven pin plug connected into.
I always used a fused link plugged into the 2 connectors to make the lights come on but I like this better.

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #17
2014 XLR 27HFS

Those counter lights look awesome, got me thinkin'...
Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlambert View Post
Kaadk could you do a "how to" on the light box switch that the seven pin plug connected into.
I always used a fused link plugged into the 2 connectors to make the lights come on but I like this better.
Not much to do a "How To" on. It's the same thing as your fused link. Just made easier with a harness.

1) Go pick up a 7-pin harness from your local walmart, autozone, canadian tire, etc...
2) Go get a waterproof box.
3) Put the 7 pin harness in the box.
4) Wire the fused link to the harness across the same pins you do today (3 & 4)

If desired:

5) Put a switch along the link so you can turn them on/off.

Next time I pull the TT out of storage I'll snap a pic of the inside of the box so you can see it's just a wire from harness to fuse to switch back to harness.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Not much to do a "How To" on. It's the same thing as your fused link. Just made easier with a harness.

1) Go pick up a 7-pin harness from your local walmart, autozone, canadian tire, etc...

If desired:

Next time I pull the TT out of storage I'll snap a pic of the inside of the box so you can see it's just a wire from harness to fuse to switch back to harness.
Haha I guess your right. I'm a visual learner.

Yeah pics would be good.

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

If desired:

Look up "Trailer Beacon", this guy makes them ready to go, not sure what raw materials would cost to do yourself
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote