Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Explorer

Finished my lights

I have wanted lights for a while so when I found these flush-mount LEDs on ETrailer.com($20 each) I went for it. These lights are plenty bright(I can’t look straight into them) and hardly any amperage draw.
I hooked the backup lights into the wiring harness so when the TV is in reverse they’re lit-up.I also wanted to use these while not hooked up so I spliced in and ran it to a switch with another power source.
As long as I was running wire I put on a utility light for hook-ups and why not light in the front too. The front floods the ground with light for 40 plus feet but I wish it was a little higher.
I ran all the wires to a switch panel just inside the door for easy access. The switches light up when in use so I cant forget to turn them off. I am running the power from an open terminal on the fuse panel, I put a 10amp fuse in.
My only hiccup came when mounting the switches. The switches are a little deep for where I wanted to mount them so I made a wooden spacer, I think it turned out nice. It wasn’t actually the switches that where too deep but by the time I connected with spade terminals they almost doubled in depth.
We got some real use out of these on our last trip and am very happy
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightsRear_web.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	70571   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontLights_web.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	70572   Click image for larger version

Name:	LightUtility_web.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	70573   Click image for larger version

Name:	LightSwitch_web.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	70574  
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

Looks great, thanks for the post, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Nice install

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #4

Nicely done! Really need these on my fifth wheel!! Good job!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

Question on the rear lights... could you have flushed them into the bumper or do you carry something in there? I have thought about doing that to mine but there is a fold up ladder in my rear bumper now.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Question on the rear lights... could you have flushed them into the bumper or do you carry something in there? I have thought about doing that to mine but there is a fold up ladder in my rear bumper now.
Helmsey, I don't see why you couldn't put them there, but with the back wall of our 365s being hung glass, we should be able to drill a hole for the wires and fish them down and out the bottom. I believe I am going to do this to mine, as well as add one on each side, at the bottom near the rear corners as he did. If I recall correctly, the purple wire in our 7way is not connected and that should be the reverse lights...
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Very nice..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Helmsey, I don't see why you couldn't put them there, but with the back wall of our 365s being hung glass, we should be able to drill a hole for the wires and fish them down and out the bottom. I believe I am going to do this to mine, as well as add one on each side, at the bottom near the rear corners as he did. If I recall correctly, the purple wire in our 7way is not connected and that should be the reverse lights...
Be sure and document with pictures if you do, please

My thought was to flush them into the bumper and take power from the 12v supply to the electric stab jacks on the rear. I would just add a small toggle switch somewhere out of the way and could manually turn the lights on and off.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

There are two different lights on etrailer. One you have to fluh mount and drill an oval hole. The other has a black flange with two wires coming out of the back. That enables us to drill a small 1/4" hole and then use two small stainless screws to mount it. Then a little trace of silicone and we are good to go. I do like the idea of a toggle switch on the back. That's a great idea! And easy to do!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Explorer

Initially I wanted to incorporate a back-up light with the turn/brake lights(LEDs) but after pulling off the old lights I couldn’t find an easy way to chase an extra wire.
I then thought the easiest would be to install on the bumper but I worried about screw heads abrading the sewer hose and wires getting snagged on hose ends.
So I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the trailer and fished up as high as I could go easily. It turned out nice and I am sure I have more light output than an all in one turn/brake/backup.
I also had thought about putting the switches out near the lights but I liked the idea of being able to flip on the lights in the middle of the night so see any strange noises. It would definitely be easier to put the switches closer. Once I decided to run the wire it wasn’t too bad and I had all the wire already.
I had a great chance to use these lights on our last trip. The front light throws out a ton of light to the ground, waist high. Not so good for playing cards at a table, the light was low and left a strong shadow on the top of the table but we got used to it. Later that trip I had to hook up at O’dark-thity, flipped on the lights and could see everything, just like they were made for it…..
One issue (I’m not sure is a problem) because I hooked up a second power source to my camper back-up lights, when I hooked in the trailer harness my utility back-up lights on the truck came on(powered from the camper through the wire harness) My trucks normal back-up lights did not come on just the extra ones that I had hooked into the trailer harness. I am not sure this is bad but I am sure GMC did not expect or plan for power to be coming back from the 7-pin. I could install a diode but I think I’ll just make a mental note and turn off the camper switch before plugging in the harness.
All Good
John
Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #11

John, I ordered 4 lights and about 55 feet of wire last night. I am going to put them on my fifth wheel in around the same location you did. I like the idea of a switch inside, but mine will probably be outside as it will be easier I think. Or, maybe hook it into the scare lights on the camper!! If I recall correctly, the purple wire(unused) on the pigtail, is the back up connection. This mod will definitely help me as I have to turn my camper around in my yard when we get home every time. It may take a while, but I'll get it done. Maybe in my own yard or maybe at the campground with a few 'buds' if you know what I mean
Thanks for the idea and I will let you and Helmsey know how it went.
Monty
Old 03-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
Explorer

I think you'll like them.
I do not remember the wire color, I followed the harness to the junction box and the backup wire was the only one not used(capped with a wire nut).
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #13

Ok,. lights are on! Helmsey, not a bad install. I put them on the rear and sides. On the rear you need a little longer drill bit as you have to go through about 2.5" of wall and insulation. On the sides, there is nothing to it. I was going to wire them into the pigtail, but couldn't really find away up to the pinbox. So, after another beverage, I put a switch in the propane compartment on the driver's side, ran a hot wire to the battery with a mini-fuse inline fuse holder and ran a wire to the back and grounded them at the rear to the frame. Here are a couple of pics.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #14

Sorry for being off topic and reviving an old thread.
YoungKopernik, how did you mount that bike rack? I have heard that our bumpers aren't strong enough to handle a bike rack. I have a 2" receiver bike rack that I would love to mount back there in place of the spare.
Thanks,
DB
darkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
Explorer

Darkbug, the bike rake is not on the bumper I welded up a nice hitch off the frame. I took the tire off the bumper and mounted it under and the front(I posted), just for space. I have put over 20,000mls with bikes on with no problem.......
Its fun making your camper your own
John
Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
Darkbug, the bike rake is not on the bumper I welded up a nice hitch off the frame. I took the tire off the bumper and mounted it under and the front(I posted), just for space. I have put over 20,000mls with bikes on with no problem.......
Its fun making your camper your own
John
I saw a few hitches on etrailer that I could weld to the frame. I probably will move the spare after I do the axle flip. Thanks for the info.
darkbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light