Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2008, 02:04 AM   #1

Finishing out storage area

All

I am in the process of finishing out the storage area of my 27 DFWP. The previous owner had removed the generator metal storage area which was more than fine with me and he replaced the generator door with a solid door. Now I have a complete pass through storage area.

Unfortunately it was not finished out from the factory - I am afraid that one object sliding around will penetrate the luan paneling into the bedroom! Here is what I am starting with:

Notice that the spacing on the 2x2 studs is kinda odd. I added a couple of studs:

And here is a pic with the insulation and one section of the paneling....

That's all I had time for today. Hopefully I will complete it tomorrow!
rsscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

That's a great idea. The insulation is a REALLY good idea.

I would have used peg board on vertical surfaces so I could hang stuff up on the wall.

Need to do something like this on the 5th wheel when I get a round tuit.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #3

GREAT Idea!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

storage area near completion

Radio, we think alike!! I had planned on using pegboard but only AFTER I added the smooth white paneling - I was afraid if I used just pegboard that bugs would get into the holes and never get out plus when you put the hooks in and take them out, some insulation invariably comes with it - I did this in a previous garage.

I had my eye on this plastic pegboard at Lowes - I figured it would be more durable.

It comes in 2x4 panels and I had to trim one end because mine is only 22" tall. I used my circular saw with the fine tooth blade that I used on the paneling and it worked awesome. It actually cut easier than the paneling!!

Here is a pic of the finished out without all of the peg board or the carpeting....

Here is a pic of the storage area with the peg board in place (but not screwed in - I have to get some stand off pieces before I mount it for good!) and with the carpet.

The carpet was rolled up and wouldn't lay flat as it is starting to get cold. Hopefully it will lay down over the next couple of days and I can cut around the emergency brake box. Tomorrow I will get the stand-offs for the peg board and get that permanantly mounted.

Later - time to take the wife out for dinner!

Stacy
Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
2x Forest River Owner

wow. that looks real nice.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

That's a great Idea and nice work. Are you planning to put lights in the storage area? The reason I ask is because I just bought a pair of LED motion sensor lights from Costco that work off of 3 AAA batteries, they can be mounted 3 different ways, with a magnet, screws or double sided tape. The lights only come on when it can not see light so they don't come on during the day.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

The storage area already has one light and I thought about running another one on the other side but figured with the white ceiling and walls, this would be enough.

But the ones you have sound like a great idea. Would they come on however if you were traveling and cargo shifted or can you just turn them off completely? LEDs are easy on the batteries so they should last a while!!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #8

That looks great... my storage area is much smaller I would get stuck in there trying to put pegboard up! I have some of the sensor puck lights I bought at wally world and you can either turn them off or set them to sensor.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscoggins View Post
The storage area already has one light and I thought about running another one on the other side but figured with the white ceiling and walls, this would be enough.

But the ones you have sound like a great idea. Would they come on however if you were traveling and cargo shifted or can you just turn them off completely? LEDs are easy on the batteries so they should last a while!!
The lights would only stay on for 12 sec and then go out and as long as nothing else moves it will stay out.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #10

LED light

Here is a pic of the LED light. It has an off, on and an auto switch so you have control. It is no bigger then a LG 8300 cell phone. The motion sensor is located on the bottom. You can also adjust the light direction, the head of the light swivels from left to right 170 degrees. It can be mounted 3 different was as I mentioned before and only uses 3 AAA batteries. The come 2 to a pack and cost approx $16.99 a pair with batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2084.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1229  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Cyber Phrenologist

I had another thought on the carpet...I wouldn't attach it permanently. Maybe velco around the edges.

If it got wet or dirty I'd want to pull it out to wash or dry it.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #12

Rockwood06, I really like the looks of those LED lights - I will have to check them out!

Radio, the plan for the carpet is to let it simply lie on the floor - no glue or fasteners - that way if it gets wet or dirty, I can simply take it out and shake it/dry it etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Here is a pic of the LED light. It has an off, on and an auto switch so you have control. It is no bigger then a LG 8300 cell phone. The motion sensor is located on the bottom. You can also adjust the light direction, the head of the light swivels from left to right 170 degrees. It can be mounted 3 different was as I mentioned before and only uses 3 AAA batteries. The come 2 to a pack and cost approx $16.99 a pair with batteries.
Where did you mount these?

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know.

2006 Wildwood 28BH
2001 GMC Yukon XL 4x4
2003 Honda VTX 1800C
2005 Honda ATV's
jeburnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Have you thought about a couple of small driving lights mounted up in the corners? They could run off you trailer battery.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #15

That s a GREAT project
you should be proud, it looks better than factory

MUCHO Props to you
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #16

Hi There, I am extremely new to this site and this is one of my first posts. I have to tell you that this is such an Awesome idea to put peg board up in the front storage area. I know i am going to love this site. Thanks
Mark Danzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #17

Mark

Thanks for the kind words and to the forum! I see you have a 27 DFWP coming soon! I just got mine (used) right before Thanksgiving. We have been out in it a couple of times and are planning a week of camping and atv/dirt bike riding over spring break.

Tomorrow I am installing a digital thermostat to replace the OEM one - we'll see how that works!! Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #18

Thanks rsscoggins i appreciate that and i am sure i may have a few questions for you once we take delivery of our new rig on April 7th. We actually purchased in from Cheyenne Camping Sales in Iowa and they will be delivering it to us in a couple months. We can't wait but it is still pretty cold. Thanks again.
Mark Danzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
Where did you mount these?
I am sorry for not replying, I over look your question. As of right now they are stuck to my tool box in the garage as a test to see how they work. As soon as the weather breaks and I can get out side to work on the camper and get it ready for the camping season I am going to install them on the interior wall of the storage area, so as soon as I open the storage door the light will came on. By the way the lights work nicely.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #20

Er, how big is a LG 8300 cell phone?
dmzkiller is offline   Reply With Quote