Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Fire...Fire...FIRE!

I just got email from a friend about a awful fire that happened yesterday in a RV park in TX. He also included a link that I thought our FRF Family should know about:

Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems

For $185-$245 you can purchase a Halon suppressor to go in your Refer compartment (where most RV fires start) Something to think about if you have a gas/electric Refer.

In the meantime, I STRONGLY encourage everyone to buy and mount a Fire Extinguisher in your bedroom (Ours is on the slide).

The extinguisher is NOT to fight the fire but to make a path to the door so you and your loved ones can escape.

Note to Families: If you have a Bunkhouse and it does not have its own door, mount a extinguisher there too and TRAIN your kids how to use it.

Thought: I went to a RV show once where the fire department set mock fires and taught folks how to properly use extinguishers. It would be very cool if we could have something like that at Goshen again this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5er Fire.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	76307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom Fire Extinguisher.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	76308  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

wow, hope everyone is okay.

The first things I did to our new trailer was add a Fire extinguisher right next to the bed. All we need/ want is to make a path to the door.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

That would be good in the US but HALON is band in CANADA.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Dry Chem Ext.is what they put in RVs! BAD MOVE, the Powder PACKS to the Bottom,even in a Stationary house! Think what it does going down the Bumpy Road! If you read the small print of these Ext.it says to (Turn Upside Down and) Hit/bump/shake) until you can feal the Powder Moving inside! We have (FOAM Ext) ,you can use what you like,your call! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

I like the first photo HSVBamaBob, it shows the trailer’s propane tanks have been removed. It’s a good reminder not to put locks on the doors for the propane tanks.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Update:

So, it turns out the fire was caused by one of the occupants smoking while oxygen was being used. Good Grief!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

wow that is crazy. thanks for the post
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

I am a retired Fire Chief and would offer the following. Get a good size extinguisher - ABC works for just about everything - tough on electronics though. But if you want to get out safely, I would keep the biggest you can afford and where size permits. I like the ones with nice size rubber hose. The operation is simple - remember the word PASS.
Pull (the Pin), Aim (at the base of the fire), Squeeze (the trigger), and Sweep (across the base of the fire). Shake your extinguisher periodical to keep the particles from clotting. I think it would be great to hold a hands-on demo. I always did at our Fire Station during Fire Prevention Week. Check with your local department. For event organizers, check with a local Fire Extinguisher company. They will gladly provide outdate extinguishers for the group. Just keep RVs out of the dust. They will get covered in white dust.
Again, its P-A-S-S (Pull-Aim-Squeeze-Sweep).
You should also make all aware of window emergency exits. I have been told that if you practice opening them (and you should), have someone outside to support the window from falling to the ground. Keep all these exits free and clear and just like your house plan - establish a meeting place outside away from the house or RV. NEVER, dial 911 while in danger. Get free and clear and call. Extinguishers will usually not be big enough to fight the fire but enough to clear a path to your exit. I keep one extinguisher up front, one in the bedroom and a kitchen extinguisher under the sink.
Don't forget to test and replace batteries on smoke alarms.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #9

I would think that an extinguisher in a moving RV would get shaken enough that settling would not be a problem. We were in the San Antonio Area this past weekend. Where was that RV park?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I like the first photo HSVBamaBob, it shows the trailer’s propane tanks have been removed. It’s a good reminder not to put locks on the doors for the propane tanks.
My doors didn't have locks, but the tanks were strapped and bolted in from the factory. Straps have been removed, but I put a locking latch on the top of each door. The doors are so flimsy, that a swift kick will collapse them or a screwdriver/key will pry them open.