Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Firestone Air Springs for Tundra

I have the 2007, 5.7 liter Tundra LTD. We recently purchased a Rockwood 8244S 5th wheel. I have had no problem with power on Rocky Mountain hills with the truck, I was a little concerned about the back end squatting when we were fully loaded. The weights were all within acceptable ranges for the truck but the leaf springs were working. After a long trip I climbed under the truck and sure enough there were signs the leaf bumpers were hitting the frame stops.

I had read a previous post where someone had installed Firestone Air Springs and they installed flawlessly. I purchased a set and went to work. After cutting off the leaf bumper I noticed the air spring top plate did not fit the frame properly. I tried the other top plate hoping there was a left and a right side. Nope. Same problem. The main air line hole to the frame did not line up. After some head scratching on how I was going to modify the top plate, or the frame I went in the house for a coffee to settle my temper. Nothing is ever made to fit properly. I explained the problem I was having to the GW. She asked if I tried flipping the plate over? AHH, .....no. Out I go, flip the plate. Perfect fit. I had the spring in place and bolted down in under 5 minutes. I really believe the instructions should come with a notice for men installing these things to have a woman present to make things go easier.

Really though, Firestone did do their homework on these kits. They are easy to install, carry a good warranty and should work fine. Planning a 5 day trip this weekend so we will find out how they handle.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

i thought my install went flawlessly! you should have scratched your head a little harder, and instead of messing around with a knife and cutting the bump stop off....just remove the whole damn thing!!! it is completely out of your way, and you save the time of horsing around with cutting part of the installation.

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Where did you guys source the Firestone air spring kits? Wondering if they have any for the Tacoma.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
Where did you guys source the Firestone air spring kits? Wondering if they have any for the Tacoma.
www.firestoneip.com You can search there for your year Tacoma. They have them for all the Tacoma's from 1995 to 2011. If you are lucky the newer ones do not require any drilling.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Thanks Bill, they show 2 kits 2704 & 2710, but don't specify what the application difference is. Guess I'll have to give them a call.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Installed firestone air springs----

I installed the Firestone Air Springs on my 2005 F-150, use 45-50 PSI air for a support, level setting for a 8285WS 5ver. Works great, you will not go wrong by installing a set. It takes the "BOUNCE" out of the back of your TV.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

I installed a pair of Firestone Air Bags on my 2011 Silverado 1500 for load leveling and found it worked great for leveling and helped some with bounce. The best solution for bounce was a set of Bilstien HD shocks. With the two I'm riding fine with my 8285WS 5th wheel.

Patrick
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tundra