Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Fishing wires

I have a 2012 Coachmen Chapparral 280RLS there is no step light installed. The exterior porch light is the best candidate for paralleling a couple of wires to run down to the step light. I'm a little leery of trying to fish a wire down thru the exterior wall. Has anyone done this and an are there any panel crossmembers in the way?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

I don't know about Coachman, but exterior walls are not normally hollow at all.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #3

Might be better off to try some kind of surface wireway on the inside down to it... I can't see the exterior walls being hollow, or easy to fish wires in...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #4

Thanks Barry and Glen. I appreciate the info. Yeah, I know that the walls are solid but I thought there might be some kind of chase or duct within for the wires. I DID have a powered fan installed at delivery, and they fished a wire thru the roof somehow. I sure don't want to spend a lot of money at the dealer for installation of that light.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Owner/Operator

You may not need to go all the way up to the light itself. Would it be shorter to run a wire from the Switch for the light (I'm assuming that you have a switch near the door for the porch light)? You might be able to follow the hot wire that runs to the Switch.

If your porch light switch is on a panel with several other things (power awning, ceiling lights, etc.) you might also be able to run from that down to the area of the step.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler63 View Post
I have a 2012 Coachmen Chapparral 280RLS there is no step light installed. The exterior porch light is the best candidate for paralleling a couple of wires to run down to the step light. I'm a little leery of trying to fish a wire down thru the exterior wall. Has anyone done this and an are there any panel crossmembers in the way?

Thanks
I had to cut into my wall to change the 4" outdoor speakers to 6". I first called my dealer and asked if I would be hitting anything he said no. I then removed the 4" and the wall is 2" thick. It is laminated on the exterior and inside with that white foam in the center. I took a coat hanger and pushed it sideways to make sure I was clear before I started to cut it out with a jig saw. Nothing was in my way. Their is no stud until the window frame or cross brace kinda of scary in a way. What you could do is remove your light fish a tape down to the bottom. You would be surprised at how easy it was to insert the hanger. the foam is not solid at all.......
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #7

like RodeoGeorge said...Just run a new power supply from your panel to the steps. Loop the wire to your switch panel and install another switch to control the light or you can wire a day/night control like oldcoot did.
crunchman

crunchman12001 is online now   Reply With Quote