Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Flatscreen Mounting Ideas

I want to mount a flatscreen that will fit in the current spot for tv's in my '05 Flagstaff 23FBS. I'm thinking a swivel mount, but don't know where to mount. I really don't want to put holes in the side wall of the trailer, and the other wall is just a really flimsy piece of paneling. Also there's the speaker, wall socket and cable hookup. I'm afraid of drilling down into the shelf as it's probably pressboard and the screws may strip out. Anybody mounted one in this area of their RV?

bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog View Post
I want to mount a flatscreen that will fit in the current spot for tv's in my '05 Flagstaff 23FBS. I'm thinking a swivel mount, but don't know where to mount. I really don't want to put holes in the side wall of the trailer, and the other wall is just a really flimsy piece of paneling. Also there's the speaker, wall socket and cable hookup. I'm afraid of drilling down into the shelf as it's probably pressboard and the screws may strip out. Anybody mounted one in this area of their RV?
If your shelf has held the tv pictured (heavy) without a problem, i would think it should be safe to screw down into shelf. Possibly with factory bracket from new tv

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog View Post
IMO...I would drill all the way through the bottom of the shelf, coming out of the stove range.
Use long hex bolts with wide washers, wing bolt on one end so you can remove TV if needed...done!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just a question whats below the bottom self besides the exhaust hood ? Is there an outside vent or is this hood a recirculating type of range hood? If you want take a chance on screwing into the particleboard shelf use sheet metal screws they will hold and grab much better than wood screws.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

The hood is electric and has a vent that leads outside. I just don't like thinking of screwing down to the bottom of the shelf with a 20 lb tv hanging outward moving around. I guess I can just set one up there and make sure to take in down each time, but wanted a cool idea to have one up there, possible a larger one than the opening. Thanks for suggestions, and keep them coming.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

screwing down into the particle board shelf should not be a problem. If you need to remove those screws a couple times then they are more likely to strip.

And the side panel, you could alwasy cut a piece of 3/8 inch plywood to that size and mount it inside to make very solid mounting surface.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI,

** AARON'S WOOD SCREWS, drywall and particle board screw **
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Also see here

PARTICLE BOARD SCREWS / Coarse Thread Wood Cabinetry Screws

These screws are made just for particle board.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

Cool, thanks! I'll post up when I change the tv out after vacation.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Thats a fun mod. We just did it in the bedroom and couldnt be more excited about it. We now use the space behind the cabinet for extra storage. If you want to see several more pictures of installs and more info about mounts, I found this RV TV mount article helpful when I was deciding on what to do.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote