Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

Full panel "Storm Door"

completed the "storm door" mod today on both doors,..... my first attempt at this was last year, using thick vinyl sheets from WalMart, attached with Velcro,.... worked very well at first and w/Velcro we knew we could remove them easily if we ever wanted to,...

we like being able to have the trailer door open for seeing outside without loosing heat or ac and for over a year we've never had the occasion where we wanted to remove them for ventilation, we have enough windows for that,.... but actually our weather is such that we almost always have either heat or ac going all the time anyway,....

the vinyl sheets do shrink over time and a couple of months ago they had shrunk enough that the Velcro pulled loose and then the vinyl was too short to pull back into place,.... we like the results of this idea enough that I knew I would do it again, but with something more substantial, .... got the Acrylic sheets from Lowe's and mounted full panels on the outside of the screen door,..... I know some folks do this idea with 1/2 panels on the inside grooves of the screen door, but to me, the full panel mounted on the outside is more like our full glass storm doors at home,....

glade to get this done, our last two short trips, since the Velcro came loose hasn't been as enjoyable as before,..... we had become fond of having the trailer door open most of the day even w/ac going,......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0474.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	123795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	123796   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0477.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	123797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0480.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	123798  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #2

My Creek came with a storm door, love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

Nice job
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Nice job
thank you SeaDog,..... during the time when the doors were covered with the vinyl sheets, we enjoyed having the option of "trailer doors open and not loosing heat or ac" enough, that it felt confining with the doors always shut during the short time between when that mod failed and before I could finish this,..... we like this enough, that we'll always do this mod no matter what RV we may have in the future,....

Old 11-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Permanent fifth wheel

This looks great and much cleaner/better than the 1/2 panels I used for mine fitting in the grooves. Also on the outside it appears it will help stay cleaner keeping the dogs nose marks off.

Questions, what did you use to make your curved cuts? How much clearance did you have between the screen and outside door? Did you use Velcro again to hold the acrylic to the screen door?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
355re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355re View Post
Questions, what did you use to make your curved cuts? How much clearance did you have between the screen and outside door? Did you use Velcro again to hold the acrylic to the screen door?
the panel is attached with 1/2" #8 screws into the screen door frame, you may not see them on a phone, but on a computer where you can click on the pic and it will enlarge, you will see them around the edges,.... did all cutting with a jig saw, I love my Craftsman 19.2v tools, .....

when using the vinyl sheets w/Velcro, the loop half(not the fuzzy half) of the Velcro was attached to the screen door frame and I left it in place, because I didn't want to have to clean the gum off the screen door frame, so the panel is installed on top of that, but for no other reason,....

easier to work with after removing the screen door from the hinges and can lay it flat for layout and install of the acrylic, .....its important to know that the screen frame is very thin and light duty aluminum, and the screws can strip the holes very easily, .... plus, the acrylic is very fragile, not necessarily when handling, but when drilling or cutting .... not to discourage you, just a heads up, .... to us, the results are well worth the extra care required to do this mod, ..... hope this is helpful, ...

Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355re View Post
How much clearance did you have between the screen and outside door?
355re,...... I overlooked your other question,.... on the screen door there is a rubber bumper at both the bottom and top that keeps about an inch of distance between the screen door and the outside door,.....

Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Phat Phrog

Absolutely perfect, fella!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

We did this same mod also - it is great to have outside door open while not loosing so much AC/heat and our spoiled chocolate lab loves to people watch
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

campers are insulated bad enough. if your heat is on and your door is open and you are burning propane you might just as well throw dollar bills out a window.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Absolutely perfect, fella!
thank you Chick, ... we like this mod so much we'll always do that to our doors no matter what camper we may have, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
campers are insulated bad enough. if your heat is on and your door is open and you are burning propane you might just as well throw dollar bills out a window.
thank you Kimber45 for reminding me that you naysayers are always lurking in the bushes, ... this may be over your head, but with the clear panel over the screen, it is a DOOR, it's just one we can see thru, ... we have full glass storm doors on our front and back door at home and love what they do, ... and we love what these do for our camper ... so if you haven't tried it, don't knock it ...

oh, I made a funny, ... it's a door, "don't knock it"

Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #12
Phat Phrog

I have two toy poodles who love to look out the windows. Being able to leave open the front door so they can enjoy the view, is so sweet!
(Plus it keeps one of my poodles from lounging on the table while see looks out!) lol
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Have a similiar mod, but with the 2-piece in the slots. Nice to let in the additional light and views. I figure it is no worse than my single pane windows for energy efficiency. If it is that cold/hot out to worry about a few more BTU’s, then I will simply close the door and pull down the shades. It really is nice to see out, for us, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

After almost 3 years, how have they held up ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
After almost 3 years, how have they held up ?

Have had no problem whatsoever with them, ... and have had many positive comments from folks who see them in use on our doors, ...

Tags
door